Brain fog....memory loss....

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi, please can anyone share their experiences of the above.  I am really worried now, that what I am experiencing may not be hormone related at all and may be something more concerning.  Today I had 5 incidents of really worrying short term memory loss which is really frightening me now in case it could be early dementia or something. I dont feel myself at all.  It all started in September with feeling really weird and spaced out.  After a few weeks this seemed to improve slightly, but am now back to feeling really strange again.  I called a friend by the wrong name today, couldn't remember which was the headlight dial in the works vehicle...which I drive every single day, literally couldn't recall having taken a plate out to the kitchen like 1 minute previously.  Went to the loo, then went to get my plate to take to the kitchen.  My friend said "you just took it out".  Now I just feel really frightened what is happening :-((((

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bubbins

I have been having the same symptoms as you and others on her. I am having to slow my thinking down sometimes as I can't always get the information I need quickly enough. It is embarrassing as well as frightening. A few months ago I was in discussion with my husband about the house we had when we were first  married and its kitchen. I was then talking about how my mum's kitchen was back then. I then couldn;t remember for a few seconds my own kitchen now. This really scared me and since then I have been very aware of my short comings with my memory. I used to laugh at my use of wrong words which I have done for some 10 years but what is happening now is upsetting me. That's why I have looked up the menopause to see if I can find the depths of its problems. I hope you are feeling easier about yourself now.

Did the mix up at the petrol station get sorted out? I hope so. 

• Posted

While some of these comments are completely possible, there are also other possibilities. For example my mother had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a type of seizure disorder. Might check with your doctor to rule out the possibility. Many neurologist offices have an EEG machine to detect activity in the brain.
  • Posted

Hiya, it sounds normal and sounds like you are heightened to it now and when you have a moment your anxiety increases.  Vicious circle.  In your shoes I would do some deep breathing and slow down...when you go blank your amygdala (the bit at the back of the brain that triggers fight flight response) takes charge and then you are in panic mode.  Breathing will help the frontal cortexes to fire up again (where the clever stuff is) and you will regain full memory recall.  

If you are still worried after trying this technique, it may be worth keeping a diary and recording your nutritional intake, stress levels that day, anythign that might feel relevant.  It is never a waste of a GPs time to check something like this out so let them guide you, going with a diary will save them a lot of time and they will thank you for it.

Stay calm, this really doesn't sound like it is heading down the Alzheimer route.

X

• Posted

I'm going through the same thing! I had a real bad day at work, made 2 mistakes- the same mistakes and I haven't made these mistakes in years! Then customers asked me questions that I was supposed to ask my boss and I immediately forgot to ask her. My co worker is a 76 year old woman and her memory is better than mine and she said that she was happy because she usually makes the mistakes!! I came home and felt like crying!! My husband says I'm not losing my mind and i know I'm not, I'm going through menopause. And I also realize that when I'm tired and don't concentrate, it gets worse. So, it is very scary,but, Bubbins, you will be ok and so will I, and I think we need to be easier on ourselves and see how normal it is and it won't last forever!!
  • Posted

I am tired stressed take care of my parents their bills contracts house my father with alzheimersand my own responsibilities,Im tired and cranky and my memory is off and on ,I know some of it is being tired ,depressed and  responsible because nobody else will do it ,But my mental sharpness is off Im not interested in company friends ,travel,going out,and thatcan be alot of things but although im clear on alzheimers front I see my self there because of all of my experiences with it in my family

my forgetfulness is affecting my parents sale of their house to downsize.Ive given up on friendships because I dont have the patience for nonsense,rudeness,lies ect Im just happy being home alone with my dog. what the heck is wrong with me am I just finallygrowing up and not putting up with crap and is my mind going with it dont know the answer hormones arent doing it ,for me im at a loss and dont know where to go next and i always know what to do next

• Posted

I can relate to each of you and am grateful to discover you.  I realized my memory problems about a year ago.  I had all the big tests my doctors can think of.  I am past menopause so mine is not related to that (56 years old).  My short term memory is suffering as I can not remember anything that happened 2 minutes ago.  I regularly lose my train of thought while speaking also.  My father died from Alzheimer's which is upsets me.  Doctors say it is not Alzheimer's.  There are many reasons one can lose some short term memory but I do not know why I have.  I am both scared and embarrased during this time - I do not speak out if it is not necessary which is just sad.  Loved ones tell me, "Your fine and do not worry about it so much".

• Posted

Hi Bubbins, most people suffer with this symptom so don't be frighten when I first started perimenopause every time I cook I would forget and it will all burn and had to cook it all over again,another time  remove the food leave the oven for hours burning or put things in the fridge that meant for the cupboard and list goes on 

it can be scary now notice it comes and goes not as bad with time it does get better everything that menopause brings on has to pass when the transition is over so look forward to those times hugs.

• Posted

i cant remeber the password for this site. i would post more if i did.
  • Posted

Like many of you here, I have been very concerned about the brain fog and memory issues I've had for the last year.  They both started when my periods stopped (following 1 year of irregular periods with no problems at all), so I took comfort in the likelihood that it was just hormonal (in my case, the new state of having no estrogen). The memory issue I first noticed was when I would ask someone how they felt about something, they would tell me, then later or the next day I would be unable to recall whether they felt one way, or its opposite! As for the brain fog, I often just feel sort of empty headed, as though I haven't been thinking about anything or doing anything, even though I've been doing bothconfused.

Something I'd very much like to know is if any of you who are having these brain fog and memory loss issues are taking estrogen (or estrogen + progestin). And if you are, does it make things better, worse, are not have any effect? I hadn't figured I would use HRT, but if it helps with these issues I would try it!

I know the majority of the replies to Bubbins were made 3 years ago, and others a bit more recently. I hope that every one of you is doing okay, and would love to hear any updates. Sending good wishes to all of you.

• Posted

Hi bubbins,

Don't take it so lightly, consult with the doctor, It will surely take some time to recover completely. you'll be okay soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.