Brain Zaps

Posted , 5 users are following.

32 y/o American mom of 3. Six months ago I had an isolated incident of what I call a brain zap. I was sitting on the couch with my husband, it was late. All of the sudden I felt a zap in my brain. I put my head back, closed my eyes, and covered my ears. It passed as quickly as it came. Initially I thought maybe I was about to black out. Fast forward to 7/5/16 I was standing outside of my office at 9:30 am ready for the day, talking to my broker when all of the sudden, ZAP! This zap causes me to fall to the ground. No reflexes, meaning I smashed my face into the pavement and was taken to the ER. Drs at the ER did a Cat Scan, blood test, found nothing. I followed up with my doctor, he sent me to Nuerologist, cardiologist, ENT. I've had full blood work up twice, MRI, MRA, EEG. Nothing everything is normal, except, I'm now having zaps every night as I'm falling asleep. Right at the moment of true sleep ZAP! Heart is then beating fast, gasping for air. I can almost feel it right before it happens. I took myself to the ER again this Friday and they prescribed me xanex for aniety. I admit since its been happening every night I am NOW anxious, but have never, ever been before. I'm looking for anyone who might have insight on this. I'm worried about partial seziurs, or encephalitis, or maybe something more in the brain. Can anyone relate? I am generally healthy, no medications, work out (although not since this started). Since the fall I've also been diagnosed with vertigo from knocking a crystal out in my ear, although I'm not sure that, that's what's going on. I'm experiencing brain fog, and short term memory issues since the fall, or onset of zaps. I'm honestly scared. I have three kids and now doctors are telling me not to drive (I'm a relator) and still have no diagnosis! Help.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

omg this is sooooo me. wish someone would help us instead of blaming anxiety.....
    • Posted

Wishing you well, I will update as I keep searching for answers.
  • Posted

it could be neurological like a synapse response causing a blackout or it may be epilepsy.
    • Posted

No blacks outs, just the zap. I've not lost conciousness and episodes only last 3-5 seconds from start to finish. So yes worried about possible partial seziurs.

• Posted

i have not lost conciousness either. get zap and like a wave passing feeling .then will stretch arm out like i trying to balance then go blurry eyed tgen headache dizzy brainfog...ears ringing.
  • Posted

I hope my eventual answer to this can help you or others. The exact same thing started happening around 6 years ago, and with diet modifications, they have ceased. In my case it turned out to be in intolerance to histamine-rich foods, and my reactions have been described as a type of migraine. Who knew there were migraines that didn't produce headaches? Not sure that I'm sold on this, or, It's disappointing that there isn't more known about the correlation between migraine and food-histamine.  But in any case, eliminating histamine foods has solved the mystery. It's a tough diet to follow, but obviously worthwhile.

• Posted

Very interesting Ally, thank you for some new insight.
  • Posted

Some have also further made the connection to mast cell reactions, and the use of a certain kind of antibiotic, which I have to consider since all of this started soon after taking cipro
    • Posted

I was on cipro, for a uti! Tell me more!!!
  • Posted

But if it's histamine rich foods causing the problem, you'll know in a day or bc the symptoms will quickly disappear. For me it's no nuts,chocolate,caffeine (not even decaf),spinach,tomatoes,cinnamon,paprika,sweet potatoes,melon etc. once you eliminate the foods, eventually you can sneak a bite in here and there of some of them.

• Posted

It sounds like a type of seizure, but not sure. I am suprised that the doctor can't figure it out. They need to hook you up to a machine that monitors brain activity for 24 hours so they can catch one of these events happening. It couldn't hurt to try seizure medication as well.

• Posted

Craig, I had another fall down episode just this morning. I was sitting on a bench, and out of nowhere it feels like I'm being flipped on my head. I made an audible scream as I went down. I never lose conciousness. I called my neuro and be called in anti seziure meds. However I'm not ok starting them w/o a formal diagnosis. On my way to the hospital now to sit until someone gives me some valuable information.

• Posted

Seizure medicine can be taken for pain as well. It isn't super dangerous and if it were me I would try it. You don't need to pass out to have a seizure. there are many types and grades of them. Going to the hospital is probably the right thing to do, as I said they should hook you up and monitor your brain activity for a while to see what is happening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.