Brain Zaps

Posted , 5 users are following.

32 y/o American mom of 3. Six months ago I had an isolated incident of what I call a brain zap. I was sitting on the couch with my husband, it was late. All of the sudden I felt a zap in my brain. I put my head back, closed my eyes, and covered my ears. It passed as quickly as it came. Initially I thought maybe I was about to black out. Fast forward to 7/5/16 I was standing outside of my office at 9:30 am ready for the day, talking to my broker when all of the sudden, ZAP! This zap causes me to fall to the ground. No reflexes, meaning I smashed my face into the pavement and was taken to the ER. Drs at the ER did a Cat Scan, blood test, found nothing. I followed up with my doctor, he sent me to Nuerologist, cardiologist, ENT. I've had full blood work up twice, MRI, MRA, EEG. Nothing everything is normal, except, I'm now having zaps every night as I'm falling asleep. Right at the moment of true sleep ZAP! Heart is then beating fast, gasping for air. I can almost feel it right before it happens. I took myself to the ER again this Friday and they prescribed me xanex for aniety. I admit since its been happening every night I am NOW anxious, but have never, ever been before. I'm looking for anyone who might have insight on this. I'm worried about partial seziurs, or encephalitis, or maybe something more in the brain. Can anyone relate? I am generally healthy, no medications, work out (although not since this started). Since the fall I've also been diagnosed with vertigo from knocking a crystal out in my ear, although I'm not sure that, that's what's going on. I'm experiencing brain fog, and short term memory issues since the fall, or onset of zaps. I'm honestly scared. I have three kids and now doctors are telling me not to drive (I'm a relator) and still have no diagnosis! Help.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Leigh.

I have something similar to what you describe.

A neurologist told me it is a disassociative episode where my brain, for some reason, disconnects itself temporarily from my body.

That's how it was explained to me.

My Aunty suffers from the same thing.

We both have been told we have epilepsy and i have seizures, altho not always in the classical sense. Sometimes i just shut off and then carry on without knowing i've stopped talking or whatever.

I suffer from migraines.

I can't say this, or any of this could be your problem, but it may help or offer a place to start.

I hope you find out what the problem is.

Please keep us informed.

• Posted

Thank you. I've started the anti seizure meds. Obviously they dumb down the nerves, so

I'm not having the zaps. The fall down episodes (different from zaps) happen once a month, so we'll see if meds help.

The feeling of the meds is awful. Dizziness, all the time, and anxiety at night. Adjustment takes some months, but is the only way to see if they're these "absinth" seizures which are very hard to catch on EEG, since they're hard to induce and sporadic.

• Posted

Hi Leigh.

Just checking how you're doing on the meds? No side effects?

I haven't tried what you're on so i'm curious to see how you're feeling etc.

• Posted

Awful. Obviously it takes time, but the first 3 days were very hard. Dizzy, seeing double, crying, lots of crying. Not myself at all.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that...!

I can't even offer any advice because i've never tried them.

I hope it passes quickly.

Maybe mention it to your doctor if things are still as bad in maybe a week or so.

I realise things take time to do their thing, but there also has to time after settling in that shouldn't take months. I mean, there should be some effects within weeks.

I hope you feel better.

I'll check in on you again soon.

• Posted

Hi, wanted to follow up. Had another "fall down" episode this past Sunday only 7 days apart from the last, while on anti-seizure meds. Called neuro he told me to discontinue them immediately as I was feeling so awful, and clearly they weren't helping. I see him Friday for a Lumbar Puncture (at my request) then on the29thfir a 48 hour EEG.i will continue to chip away at this until I figure it out. Right now my family won't let me be alone at all because I have 3 kids, and obviously no driving. My "zaps" have stopped but in still feeling very off, in my head. Lots of strange feelings going on.

• Posted

Thanks for the follow up, it's much appreciated.

Sorry to hear you had another fall, but actually glad to hear you're off the meds. They didn't sound to be helping.

Good to hear you're not alone and that your family's by your side.

Good luck for friday...and with your persistence in getting things checked into.

Keep me informed...

Take care.

• Posted

Update: After 2 spinal taps, 3 EEGs, 3 hospital admissions, multipule MRIs-MRAs-Catscans, many doctors, and blood tests, plus a a neuropsych eval, and a really rough summer; my brain zaps turned out to be brain inflammation. A spinal tap in August showed an elevated WBC count. This can indicate inflammation or infection. In my case it was inflammation. Long story short, don't settle on any one answer and do your own research, be persistint, ask lots of questions!

• Posted

Update: After 2 spinal taps, 3 EEGs, 3 hospital admissions, multipule MRIs-MRAs-Catscans, many doctors, and blood tests, plus a a neuropsych eval, and a really rough summer; my brain zaps turned out to be brain inflammation. A spinal tap in August showed an elevated WBC count. This can indicate inflammation or infection. In my case it was inflammation. Long story short, don't settle on any one answer and do your own research!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.