Brand new diagnosis - and confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm 56, non smoker and obese.

Following an episode on Friday (tight chest and arm pain) I was taken to A&E. ECG & Bloods were clear but diagnosed as angina.

I was in a bit of shock at A&E (still am!) and didn't ask the questions I should have.

I've been given some meds and told that an appt will come through from the "chest clinic".

I have no knowledge of Angina and I don't even know what I should/shouldn't be doing prior to the gp visit. Walking up and down stairs gives me some tightness in my chest with an ache in my left arm all of which eases at rest - but happens often. Could this just be anxiety?

What is the standard process from here?

What sort of immediate adjustments should I be making and what questions should I be asking the GP (I've made an appt of my own back this week)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sounds like angina to me. I have no idea about the cause but you should get it checked out. It is a signal that something is wrong you will be able to deal with it though. We are all dealing with this on this forum. But not knowing is the worst thing of all. Go and get the test taken and get a diagnosis and some medicine you will feel much better and begin to live with this problem and disease.
    • Posted

Thanks Diana

I think you probably missed my follow up reply yesterday, and I suspect misread the original one. (I think I've maybe posted them in a confusing way).

It has been dealt with and a stent fitted.

I'm due to be released from hospital tomorrow and now have a course of rehabilitation.

3 days a week for 8 weeks of sessions designed to help me to adapt to life with my stent - including physical exercise, diet, relaxation techniques and the psychological impacts.

I don't know if there's a similar post-procedure programme in the uk, but the thought of it has certainly eased some of the concerns that I had.

• Posted

Hi there this sounds like typical angina, have you been given a GTN spray and advised to take Asprin 75mgs daily.  You should ask you GP if are planning angiography to look at your coronary arteries, if not ask him/her to refer you. I'm a nurse but awaiting cardiology investigations myself.  Try to limit strenuous exercise/any activity that brings on the rightness.

i wish you well and please ask your GP about the above.

• Posted

Hi Vivienne

Thanks for your reply, but if you're able to read my updates you'll see that I've actually been lucky enough to have been dealt with incredibly well by the French health service. Had a stent fitted into what was a badly blocked artery and I'm undergoing rehab.

Thanks again.

Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.