Breaking The Cycle of Alcohol

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Paper Fairy. I text you earllier this morning so no point in going over that one again (you can always have a quick look if you are interested)Being Ultra Sensitive-similar to you Things hurt and Fester in my head until I can't stand it anymore-so I have a  glass of Wine to Dull the Thinking (Obliivion) At this moment I am  on my fourth bottle of Wine ( the last I have at home) I have to walk to the nearest shop to get some more ! Please Paper Fairy or Missy 2 Some advise would be very much welcomed.Oh by the way did any ony pick up on the Quantifiable surely it should have read Qualify for Whatever

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry not got back to you sooner. Stuff going on, really sad stuff, my best friend, who is has alcohol problems like me, well her mum has just died suddenly. My friend is blaming herself saying it's all the stress she had put her mum through. So tragic and so sad for her..

dear susan..please don't drink and drive in case you get stopped by police, have an accident and kill someone, including yourself..try and eat something ASAP and drink lots of water. ( just had a call so will get back to you ASAP) xx

• Posted

Sorry it is Susan.Would like to amend a word I used in my previous Post.It should have read QUANTIFY.What does that mean apart from 4. Times.Surely it should have read in the context QUALIFY ! ! ! ? ? ? 
  • Posted

Not sure what you mean re quantify. Anyway back to your problem which is definately becoming a big problem for you, and if like, your family too. This is such a cruel disease in that every time we binge, we feel worse in our body and mind so drink again and so those harrowing thoughts go away. The drink picks us up again for a couple of hours or so then we are back in that living hell again or blackout. We do such stupid, dangerous things in a blackout and can't remember doing it. It really is like Jekyl and Hyde...will continue...
  • Posted

Hi Susan - I don't have much to add other than to send my support.  I am on my 13th day sober and feeling so much better although that doesn't mean the desire has gone away!  The only thing I can say is that having alcohol has never made me react better or feel better about any situation apart from perhaps the first couple of glasses.  Keep trying to cut down, go to sleep or have a cup of tea - just try to pull yourself out of the cycle for a while at least so that you don't make yourself ill.  Sending you much love xx
    • Posted

I like that lorna..that it never makes you feel any better about any situation, apart from the first glass or two. That is so very simple but so so true and us with alcohol disorders have to remember this at all times as we can never stop at just 2 xx
    • Posted

Very true!  I am trying to reconcile myself to the fact that my life has to contain no alcohol.  At the end of the day there are far worse things out there that would force a change of lifestyle - stroke, cancer, diabetes to name a few!  This forum has been sooo helpful to me - I cannot believe the difference now to when I first posted.  Although I realise that I am obviously very lucky in where I live that the health service have been very good - it has to come from within though and this group has gone a long way to giving me that strength - thank you all.  (Oh and as an aside - appealing to my vanity only lol - as well as looking so much better - i.e. not puffy and bloodshot - I have lost half a stone in the two weeks since I stopped drinking!! Yay biggrin
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

OMG - on youre fourth bottle. I simply echo what the other posts said, and please eat - have a cup of tea - DONT drink and drive. I havent had a driving licene for over 10 years as I became such a habitual drink driver. I'm extremely lucky not to have killed anyone or myself, or gone to jail - its been close.

My sister lost her licence about 18 months ago, and since then has drank even more than before. I knew it was coming months before it did, so I wasnt at all suprised when it did. I know of quite a few people this has happened to. Please dont let it happen to you.

• Posted

Hi ursulau

Great advice you've just given regarding drink/driving. I got caught 12 years ago and banned for a year. I make no excuses. I'd just taken my three kids to school and was on my way home. I'd seen a police car behind me, never thought anything as I knew I'd not been drinking. However, there was a huge skip in front of me, didn't indicate and nipped round it. Police followed me home and breathalised me on my drive.

I was at a friend's party the night before and didn't go to bed till 3am and failed breathaliser at 9.45am. I sold my car Immediately, and have never driven since

• Posted

Good for your Vicky Lou. You took immediate action and give us all good advice. You are on the right patth for certain. I am quite shocked how many people on this forum admit to drink drving most days of the year. I might have do that twice in my life and no children the car but it is still wrong. No excuses or take a taxi if in the pub! Robin
    • Posted

Robin I was mortified, horrified and terrified of what could have happened. I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd injured my kids or indeed anyone. A night in the cells was a small price to pay, compared with what could have happened.

The magistrate accepted I'd not intentionally driven whilst intoxicated, but I was just over the limit.

There are no excuses for drink driving under any circumstances IMO. Good thing is my three kids won't touch a drop if driving, although they all enjoy a drink!

• Posted

I had no idea I was drink driving until it was pointed out to me by a professional - to me, going to sleep at 10pm and then driving at 9am next morning was fine.  However - the two bottles of wine (at least) I drank every evening equated to 20+ units - each unit takes one hour to leave your body - I would start drinking again after work at about 5 so I was effectively NEVER safe to be behind the wheel.  It makes me go cold when I think about it now.  I was very lucky not to have harmed anyone else or myself - I just had no idea.  I would have never driven after actually drinking in the evening but was still drunk driving every day.
    • Posted

Yes, I think alot of people just dont realize they are still over the limit when they drive. I didnt years ago and neither did lots of people I knew who would never intentionally have drunk driven, but must have been over the limit the next morning.

When I have been caught I knew full well I was drunk, so have absolutely no excuse at all.  The problem is that once you are labelled as 'having an alcohol problem', and the health authorities know, its nigh on impossible to get youre licence back, as the DVLA medical panel ask details about youre medical records going back years.  I have heard of cases where GPs have actually stood up for people and said they are fit to drive, and the DVLA still turned their licence application down.  Being banned for drink driving, then admitting to everyone you have a drink problem means much more than the one or two year ban you are given. Its a real fight to ever get youre licence back, and then noone wants to insure you.

My sister got banned about 18 months ago, and will soon be able to appy for her licene back. She will do, but wont bother getting insured simply because of the prohibitive cost of this.   Its sad actually, because alot of people seem to end up being resigned to being alcoholics because they have been officially labelled as such, so have no incentive to stop drinking.

• Posted

Twelve years on and I still cringe and think what could have happened, it horrifies me that I did what I've always criticised other people for doing. As for people who drive in the afternoon to get more booze,mellow more fool them. As Robin says in his post, get a taxi, bus or even walk.

I'm the last person to talk, but please folks, never drink and drive.

• Posted

Whether you get a ban for 1 year or 5 years, or custodial sentence, what ever punishment you get is your own fault.

yes the insurance is prohibitive for some people due to finance restraints, but driving without it is stupid. Suppose you have any accident which is your fault, why should the injured person suffer and end up paying thousands of pounds to get their car mended when they've done nothing wrong?

Habitual drink drivers IMO should get a custodial sentence.

• Posted

Hi, yes  noone should drive without insurance of course.  I didnt mean that sister is applying for her licence in order to drive without insurance. I just think shes going to go through the motions of applying when shes contacted by the DVLA, and if she doesnt get it back she'll just accept it, and if she does she'll wait a few years until her conviction is more behind her before maybe applying for insurance to drive. Not all people with drink drive convictions are monsters, and alot of them end up getting caught because they are in a cycle of living under constant pressure which just seems to build up and up.   Money worries, fear of redundancy and being responsible for and living with our mum who has Alzheimers, I think led my sister down this path, and of course she deeply regrets doing it, as do I.
    • Posted

You only have to take a medical if:

You've been done, twice in a 10 year period.

You refuse or fail to give a specimen for analysis.

You are more than 2.5 times over the limit.

• Posted

You also have to have a blood test which costs £90. In some cases you get shorter ban on condition you attend a drink driving course and addaction/ADS
    • Posted

Yes, I have been for a DVLA medical and ironically the drinking wasnt the issue, but that I'd started taking diazepam to relieve stress, so my licence was withheld until I could prove Id not taken any for a year.  So, basically unless you are completely free of any type of stimulants or tranquilisers, you are going to have problems.  They even ask lots of questions about mental health issues and if you take anti-depressants.  Years down the line I'm still struggling to be completely diazepam free, though I've almost been there a few times, and am hopefully - almost there again now.
    • Posted

"Being banned for drink driving then admitting to everyone that that you have a drink problem means much more than the one or two year ban you are given"

I think my brain must be going blank. I don't really understand what you mean by the above. Do you mean you would rather be banned from driving rather than let people know you've a drink problem? My ban was in the local paper for all to see, and I soon found who my true friends. Personally, I don't care what other people think, it's nothing to do with anyone else. Being labelled an alcoholic when you feel you're not, to me is a huge incentive to stop drinking and prove people wrong, not the other way round.

please don't think I'm having a go at you, I'm just trying to see it from your angle.

Good luck

• Posted

"My ban was in the local paper for all to see,"

Suppose that isn't so bad if you live in a large city, but if you live in a village. Did you get a special mention, or was it just in the 'in courts this week' section.

My mate got done about 12 years ago, but I think he gave them some back chat, so he got a special mention.

• Posted

RHGB

No I didn't get a special mention, it was in the 'courts this week' section'. It was about 12 years ago and the result of alcohol in my system from the night before (last drink about 2.30am!)

Only mentioned it because I was trying to understand Ursualu's comment. I don't live in a large city, and not bragging , but an upmarket area.

The magistrate accepted that I didn't drink and drive intentionaly and was only just over the limit. Had to pay £30 court charges, go on a drink driving awareness courts (free) once a week for six sessions, attend an alcohol support group, and see a probation officer once a week to start with, then monthly, for the duration of the ban.

Sold my car the week after I was caught, that too was taken into account, as I was not likely to re-offend and had no intention of driving again.

I don't have to retake my test, should I wish to drive again (just as well, as after seeing my three kids practice online theory tests, I wouldn't stand a chance lol!).

The conviction is now 'spent' and didnt have to disclose it when I applied for a new job which required a CRB check (no longer called that) which I got.

My sister in law on the other hand was told by her solicitor to expect a custodial sentence 

How are you doing with camprol and have you noticed any difference or side effects?

• Posted

Sorry should have said she got three months jail sentence (only inside for 6 weeks) and a 5 year ban. It was her second offence
    • Posted

I'll do a write up when I've been on it for a month. I haven't had a drink, but that is as much to do with willpower as anything else. The only side effect seems to be feeling fatigued in the evening, although that could be a reaction with one of my other medications, and may just take time to settle in.
    • Posted

Can you tell me which online pharmacy you used to get your campral please. I might consider giving naltrexone ago. I'm fairly stable with my drinking at the moment. Last binge was before Christmas. I've had a very active social life this weekend, started on Thursday. Pub and food twice, party, family birthday and Sunday lunch out. Feel fine today.

Whats stopping me is the ADS support worker I had, claimed to have never heard of TSM! Nor nalmefeme or naltrexone, but would google it and speak to her manager.

At my next meeting she said her manager didn't really know much either, and I was best seeing my GP as I was not alcohol dependant and see what he thought about it! He'd already said he wouldn't prescribe it as it was 'mumbo jumbo' and refused to look at the information I'd brought with me and referred me to ADS (sound familiar!!!!)

If by taking the drug you get no pleasure or feel mello after a few drinks, then what would be the point in drinking, or is that the point?

thanks jane

• Posted

Plus, RHGB, what happens if you are on campral if you have a blip? Is it like antebuse where you're very ill? 
    • Posted

No, Campral does nork work like that. You can take it as you are coming off alcohol, but it is best advised, to use, as soon as you've done a detox. So, for example, you do a week on diazepam (or similar) to come off alcohol, then go on Campral (although in reality, it never works that way, as there is always a delay).

It is not known to have any serious side effects, and is compatible with other medications. Its purpose is to carry on the relaxing effect that diazepam had on you, but not at the same intensity, the idea is that after long periods of drinking, your body does not give up the need for alcohol, like a light switch (i.e. immediate switch off).

If you drink whilst taking Campral, you should feel no effects, it is certainly not designed to 'punish' you like Antabuse. Obviously whilst drinking, it is not having the desired effect. But you can lapse for a weekend and carry on taking it and go back to as you were before you had a drink.

It seems like a very good medication, the only downside is, that it is for abstinence and most people want to be able to have a drink at some stage in their life, birthdays, Christmas, celebrations etc. and given the choice, I'd be in that latter category.

• Posted

Hi Paper Fairy

Think you've started taking naltrexone haven't you? What is drinking like whilst taking it?

To answer your question about drinking with campral, it's not recommended, no it's not like Antabuse. I just felt a bit sick. With it being an anti craving drug, the idea is that you don't think about drinking so in theory you won't have a blip. I have to admit that after six months, I would stop taking it for a couple of days before a special event like a wedding, party or holiday, then start again 48 hrs later with no problems.

It seems stupid and defeats the point of taking it, but in the year I took it, I had no binges where I'd stay in bed just drinking, and never drank alone, it was purely social drinking. I was fine going to the pub or meals out with friends not drinking. I never thought if only! 

We've got a villa in Spain and have made a lot of Spanish friends, where alcohol is drunk a lot either over lazy lunch which can last about 4/5 hours, or late dinner again about four hours. Noone gets wasted or drunk, there just very relaxed. That plays a big part in our trips to Spain and I'd hate not joining in.

Hope that answers your question xx

• Posted

What I mean by being banned then being open about the drink problem - to the courts, to Drs etc.. means that if you need a DVLA medical to get the licence back - as I did - means they will by asking more questions, and scrutinising your licence application much more closely when you apply for youre licence back.

People who do have a drink problem but act as if it was an 'one off' when they are caught drink driving - which for some people it is, but for some it isnt - are more likley to get their licence back without a problem when they apply for it. 

For example, I know my sister still drinks heavily and practically daily, but shes told the Lifeline and her Dr that shes practically stopped. She also takes zoplicone, as when she doesnt drink she cant get any sleep. I'm guessing she'll pass her DVLA medical. She has regular liver function tests - in fact you have to be drinking quite a huge amount for it to show up in an LFT - and they are Ok so far.

She knows from my experience to just say she is of the booze and doesnt take anything else either when she goes for the medical.

Yes, my ban was in the local paper. I made headline frontpage news - unfortunately I lived in quite a small town. Where I live now, that definitely wouldnt happen - much bigger place.  I wouldnt go out of the house for months I was so ashamed, and in the end my husband had had enough, and we sold up and we moved to another part of the country. 

I know it might sound a bit extreme. Its not the only reason we moved, - to be closer to my own family was another, but it was a big contributory factor.

• Posted

I used two, River Pharmacy and Goldpharma, I don't think Goldpharma do Naltrexone, a quick look didn't come up with anything.

River Pharmacy (that's a ca web address, just in case google pops up one of the UK pharmacies by the same name) have both Nodict and Naltima (both brands of naltrexone). My understanding is that Nodict is coated for time release and this doesn't work well for TSM - I'll leave Joanna/Paul to confirm this.

PS For anyone that has Nodict and finds that it is not working for them, crunching it and swallowing with water, seems the given advice.

• Posted

I was put on probation and also went on drink driving awareness course. I was told they were considering a custodial sentence, so I had a very scary few weeks waiting for the second hearing for the sentencing.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister in law. That must have been pretty awful for her.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all this information RHGB. You have no idea how grateful I am. The naltrexone I have on prescription is called Nalorex 50 mg ( naltrexone Hydrochloride) so wondering what no

• Posted

Vickylou - have PM'd you.

RHBG - No oral form of naltrexone is time-release.  Only the injectible form or implant form are time release, but using any of those are not suitable for The Sinclair Method.

However, Nodict does appear to take longer to be absorbed as it does seem to have a thicker coating (for ease of swallowing) and it also seem to be a harder tablet.  We have had people tell us that they find they need to wait 90 minutes to 2 hours for it to be properly absorbed and even a couple of people who say they have noticed that they have 'passed' the full tablet the next day (apologies for too much information there but it is important if someone is using the Nodict brand and feels it isn't working too well for them).

• Posted

Thanks for your honesty. You really have suffered. I have drunk driven in the past but don't at all now. The honesty of you and Vickiilou and the consequences of losing your licence will make me and others determined NEVER to make that selfish insane decision ever again x
    • Posted

Naltrexone hydrochloride is just the full name for naltrexone.

You will have got your Nalorex from the UK I imagine, either through your GP or a private prescription, because it is UK manufactured.

Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals Ltd

• Posted

Yes, you have worded it how I meant to put it, the coating has the effect of timed release.
    • Posted

Thanks for your helpful posts. Yes I've taken naltrexone probably about 10 times in the last couple of weeks. Last time was last Tuesday. Been sober since then. I react to a lot of meds by feeling nauseous which is the main side effect for me. It still gave me a buzz but that wore off after about 3/4 of way through bottle of wine. I definately drank much more slowly and mindfully. Then didn't want any more. This is a massive bonus. 

Unfortunately I still felt crap the next day, nausea, achy, headache, very tired. So wouldn't take it if I had something on the following day. No where near as bad as a binge hangover I must add. Plus over the weekend I fancied a drink but didn't as I couldn't face the hangover. So it is definately working for me even though it's early days. I would therefore highly recommend it to anyone. Xx

• Posted

Thanks.  I think people really dont seem to understand the consequences of DD until they get caught.  I warned my sister time and time again not to do it after I was convicted, but she just got worse and worse, until she got caught.
    • Posted

Naltrexone, that is the generic name for it. Then it is made under different brand names. They are all meant to contain the same level of active ingredient, but the manufacturing process is different.

Same as something like Ibuprofen, that is the generic name for it, but Nurofen had the patent and for many years you had only one choice, Now you can go down any large supermarket and pick up unbranded (generic) ibuprofen for about 32p.

• Posted

Thanks for explaining that..RHGB

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY HEALTHY DAY XX

Even though I'm only getting 3-5 hours sleep at night, I'm so happy to be sober again. Don't give up, anyone who is still struggling, life is so much better not being in a drunken/hungover state 😀

• Posted

Was this a first offence? I am going to upset people by saying it should be hard to get a licence back if you've been caught more than once.

Yes I've driven whilst under the influence 30 years ago and still suffer dreadful anxiety over it. When I eventually got caught and spent a night in custody, all my old anxiety came back with a vengeance. People knowing about my drinking was insignificant compared to knowing I could have killed someone.

Lying to a doctor and DVLA just to drive again seems pointless to me. Personally I wouldn't trust myself to be in a position where I could reoffend and this time injure or kill someone. Similar to pouring alcohol down the sink because of temptation. Everyone is different and I'm only sharing my experience and if it stops just one person from driving whilst drunk, being slated on a forum is worth it

• Posted

I am sorry to say that - yes - I was caught twice.

My sister just once, but will be applying for her licence back soon. I have been struggling with my conscience about whether I should tell the guy who we have both been seeing at Lifeline that she is still drinking daily and heavily, because he doesnt know she is.  If I say something and they contact her, she'll probably work out it was due to me.   She may never speak to me again, and basically I am very concerned about her health. She hardly eats because she doesnt want to put on weight while drinking - shes running on empty and is making herself really ill.

• Posted

"even a couple of people who say they have noticed that they have 'passed' the full tablet the next day"

Obviously I ask this for everyone's benefit here. How do you medically check for undigested tablets in faeces?

• Posted

Personally, I have absolutely no idea as it has never happened to me....

However, if people tell me that is what they saw then I am going to take their word for it, especially in view of the fact that they were saying that they did not feel their brain was blocked to the endorphins - the chances are that the they have not fully absorbed the tablet.

• Posted

That was my failed attempt at humour, not meant to be taken seriously.
    • Posted

RHGB

love it 😄😄 your sense of humour creases me up. You seem to brighten this forum up. I like the way you say it as it comes, what you see is what  you get!

no tea and sympathy from, just honest truth, works well for me

• Posted

I just had visions of people having a dump and then getting the bog brush and having an exploratory poke around in the bowl. 
    • Posted

Susan

Ive not seen a post on here saying all drink drivers are monsters. I've done years ago without getting caught, and 12 years ago when I was caught. Money worries, fear of redundancy, even living with an Alzheimer's patient are excuses. Living under constant pressure doesn't make you drink and drive.

i would challenge,anyone to spend a weekend days and nights in a busy A&E or AAU and witness the result of a drunk driver, people wouldn't drink and drive again, just because he/she couldn't be bothered to get a taxi. If you can afford to drink, then you can afford a taxi.

This is just a genuine opinion and not directed at anyone.

I think the parents of two small children who actually died in front of me, would call drink drivers a hell of lot worse than monsters.

• Posted

I fully agree with you Vickylou and anybody who can afford to drink CAN afford a taxi. IT is always up to common sense and knowing when you MIGHT be over the limit that you decide yourself! Drink or drive? It is your own choice. Regards Robin
    • Posted

I suppose I might have expected this response. You ask me to be honest then -'indirectly' - say I am worse than a monster. I didnt have to be honest.

What about the thousands of deaths caused by people speeding on the roads, or because they are too tired to drive, or get distracted by something? Speeding is by far the biggest cause of deaths, and police themselves cause some of these when involved in car chases.

My husband says I am the most careful, defensive driver he has seen. I am constantly telling him to switch lanes or not pull out and he often gets beeped by other impatient drivers because he is slightly slow reacting, and I say 'I told you to stay in the left hand lane on the roundabout' etc...Everyone else on the road is far to impatient.   He has never been convicted of anything, not even a speed ticket.  

Of ocurs being under pressure makes people drink and drive. Sadly, humans are fallible, and do wrong things somethings that they regret - that is just a fact.  The only way to alter all of this is to ban alcohol - which I am certainly not againt, or introduce driverless cars, controlled by computers, which are being tested right now, and will probably in 20 years or so be the norm - much better.

After all passenger planes are flown 95% by computers already, and flight is the safest form of travel.

If nobody drank alcohol there would still be deaths on the roads, caused by people on some other substance, or simply impatient.  there are regular deaths at a junction near where I live - and the newspaper reports say they were caused by people speeding trying to ovetake when they shouldnt. A bloke just got jailed the other day for 2 years for causing death by careless driving. He wasnt drunk. 

I know there is a stigma attached to drink drivers, although I thought it wasnt quite as bad as it was. Given that there must be several million people now in the country with drink drive convictions - 100,000 a year on average for the last 30 -40 years - thats alot of people to hate!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.