Breast Stroke post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

What as anyone told you regarding breast stoke and leg action post TKR. Seems to be conflicting ideas online. Will ask my surgeon in May but wondered?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told by my surgeon absolutely not. Just straight kicking of the legs only. 
  • Posted

Found this from a doc online...

"The general advice is that you can start swimming around six weeks after a knee replacement but wait for 12 weeks after the operation before attempting breaststroke.

Breaststroke relies heavily on flexible legs and knees to generate forward movement. The kick puts extra side-to-side stresses on your knees, but certainly doesn’t rule out this stroke after a knee replacement. Any imperfection in your technique increases the stress, so a couple of sessions with a swimming instructor might be a good idea."

Personally, it's that side-to-side stress that I'd be worried about.  Remember that you have to rebuild all your leg and hip muscles to support the new knee so, if I really, really wanted to do that stroke, I'd wait a long while until I was fully recovered and strong again, and even then, I'd talk to my surgeon after my one year checkup.

Here's a list of typical do's and don't's after a TKR.  Swimming is definitely on the OK side of the ledger but I'd still be careful with that stroke before you're ready and the doc says OK.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

• Posted

Thank you i think thtas sound will mention it to consultant at my  May  appointment and for now continue with back stroke.
  • Posted

He just said to get on and do it. I went yesterday and did 50 length using it without problems.

Things have progressed so much in joint replacement over the years so no longer a problem.

Just try it, if your leg doesnt want to do it it will let you know xx

• Posted

I was told not to do it . . but tried it inadvertently, and didn't like the feel of it. . .Actually did more exercises in a fairly shallow warm pool than actual swimming anyway./ 

• Posted

Hi Jan

I've heard it's a no no. I tried to swim breasted stroke before my op but had to do normal kick with breast stroke arms if that makes sense. It felt really odd at first but I got used to it. It's what my sister in law does all the time!!

Do your own thing

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I was also told NO breast stroke kicking but the arm stroke itself is fine - that's actually a really good arm workout without the kick. That lateral movement of your knee is something to steer clear of early on in your recovery and you didn't really say how long ago you had your TKR. I would defer to your MD and PT for the final call. Regardless of advancements in TKR procedures it is still somthing you should be guided by your medical professional's recommendations. My TKR was only 6 months ago so the guidance I got is certainly not outdated. Good luck!!

• Posted

13 weeks post TKR. Thanks I think wil avoid until have discussed with  my surgeon. I know I cant jump or if I do it will impact life of new  joint. 
  • Posted

I have been swimming twice a week doing breast stroke after two tkr both a year out now . Surgeon says it's ok  GP says no . I have. Found that knees complain after so have decided to stop swimming and find other ways of exercising 

• Posted

Hi jan. I attempted it and it felt very weird. I have a rule, if it feels weird, I don't bother! Ha ha ha. Plenty of other strokes out there. I actually walk in water (not on water!) regularly. It feels wonderful and my muscle tone is improving. Good luck! 

• Posted

Yes I think I will avoid it . Poolexercise i agree is great. thanks
  • Posted

I was told no frog kick ever again sad Bugeer it is my favourite.

• Posted

Sorry to hear Jenni. Things change when we get TKR's. Every day is a bonus to me though. Even with some discomfort, compared to what I was before. Good luck and perhaps you can re-adjust to a different kick style. Happy kicking! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.