Breath smells like faeces (Poo)

Posted , 379 users are following.

I have this horrid poo smell from my mouth. I brush my teeth twice a day, floss, use Dentyl PH mouthwash, I have the best oral hygeine of anyone I know but I still have this smell. I am too embarrassed to even ask my flriends or family to tell me my breath stinks. I am becoming totally reclusive because of it. Id rather go to my GP and tell him ive got an STD. I know ive got it coz sometimes people look around and ask if ive farted, and I see people with babies smelling their nappies when I speak. It really is starting to badly affect my life but I just cant pluck up the courage ot go to my GP. How on earht can i ay \"DR, My breath smells like poo!\" Please, if anyone has any tips let me know.

43 likes, 1999 replies

Report / Delete

1999 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Reply to markshaw21, Its gotta be the foods.. So planning to really cut back with him and his diet, I do try to keep him off the processed foods but they are, every where and in everything and easy and cheap and he is 7! And loves it all... Veggies (u don't make friends with salad!!). Do u have any idea on the sort of food u think could upset a stomach?? In this way.. As mentioned he has no allergies.. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Had this for a while too..

I can't smell a thing! Evey now and then maybe i catch a small whiff of it but its vey rare.  I always get comments asking if i farted ect, people working behind the tills at a shop turning away as i talk, friends holding there breath when i talk to them.. 

I dont have the greatest teeth in the word but they are clean and i brush 4 times a day, mouthwash after every brush, i have a small spray i carry everywhere that i use when i know i will come into contact with someone.. ..

I have tried everything there is to try and nothing works at all, spent alot on various toothpastes, mouthwashes, all kids of herbal shizzle.. still there.

Did find out somewhere that impacted wisdom teeth can cause this so will try to get the dentist to remove the one i have and take it from there..Only sugestion i have read on this site that i have not tried is checking for worms, which i shall try and go from there.

Keep the tips coming, would love to hear some sucess stories!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I visited the fresh breath clinic in London about 13 years ago. Was a waste of money really as I was doing all the things they told me anyway. One thing that sticks in my head is this. The hygeinist explained that everybody has different bacteria in their mouth. Some people have white tongues etc but can have no smell. Some people have the cleanest mouth but bad breath, it just depends on the type of bacteria they have in their mouths. This has just made me think that we are the unfortunate ones with the shitty bacteria! I'm at a loss with it all now! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't mean to be rude,  but can I ask if u are over weight? Or what types of foods do u eat? Only because, I too am trying to get to the bottom of it with my son, as mention above. I think it has to be his diet... I'll happily worm him, but i think it's the food sitting in his intestines that's causing the smell... Or the enzyme breaking down the food?? I have no idea... Thoughts anyone??
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Personaly im not overweight (well to be honest have not lost the excess from christmas yet but mehh), i have always been around the weight i should be. I have tried changing my diet several times but nothing seems to work, i was eating nothing but fresh salads and fruits for a whole 6 months and nothing... no change.. My regular diet is normal foods that everyone else eats.

How old is your son?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey, yeah i have read that somewhere before. 

I had a little read up today about colonic irrigation helping some people..

Have you tried this before?

It's quite interesting to read up on and does kinda make sence in a roundabout way.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've not  tried a colonic but I definately will soon, everything is worth a try. I visited jan de vries before (homeopath). He thought it was coming from stomach, said gases can escape if the stomach doesn't close over properly. He prescribed peppermint capsules and some other tincture. Needless to say it didn't work. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My son is 7 and he is on the heavy side. But he is also very tall. He is 135 cm and 44kilos. He is on track to be 95% taller than most. So he is always hungry and does suffer from chronic constipation. He has osmolax daily for this and I do make him eat meat plu veg, but if u have kids and one is a fussy eater... That's my son.  He likes nuggets and ham sandwiches!,! So I can't say changing his diet is easy as it's not... We have scream nights... That's where I feed him healthy good foods and he cries.. But he has to eat healthy and that's that. I'm not the healthiest and I'm far from thin myself.. But I will do anything to help him get rid of this.. I'm lucky though in one sence as I do know where it's coming from and that's his constipation. I'm just going to have to get him on a good diet and keep at it.. Although your comment of salads and fresh fruit for 6 months... That scares me as I would have thought they would work... 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

This problem is almost definitely caused by tonsil stones...if you google it, you will understand more. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i dont think it has to do with tonsils either. don't know about anybody else but my tongue gets this thick layer of gunk on it that i have to scrap off. it comes back every single day though. im sure it has something to do with mucus, but i dont know how to fix it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't get too much gunk on my tongue, I use the "tung brush" and "tung gel". It keeps my tongue looking clean at least. Doesn't get rid of the bb though. I am always blowing my nose though and have post nasal drip so I'll try address that next. Something else to tick of the list!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Edited

My poo smell is coming from mucus in sinuses and at back of throat (from nasal drip). The only way to reach this is with a salt water nasal douche (half teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon bicarb of soda in a mug of warm water. Cup your hand, poor some in and suck it up through nostrils and out through mouth).  It will flush out the mucus and the smelly bacteria that thrives on it. You have to persevere with this, over time you will get better at doing the douche and reaching new parts of the sinuses and throat that might have bacteria/mucus hiding.  I have been doing this twice a day for two years and I can report success with this. You will never get rid of the bacteria fully so you need to do it daily. I also have a prescription steroid nasal spray that I use twice a day after the douche. I have had varying success with doctors - last one was brilliant and prescribed antibiotics to reduce the bacteria - it helped but didn't fully get rid.  I have noticed that people's reactions when I talk to them are normal and my family members have said there is huge improvement. Got my confidence back anyway. Definitely give the nasal douche a try - good luck!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

...and should have said that I've just ordered some colloidal silver to add to my nasal douche mixture, plus a colloidal silver nasal spray.  Silver is known for it's bacterial killing properties - better than antibiotics.  Google it to see what you can find.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Edited

That sounds really promising. I tried a neti pot before but didn't persevere. Would this be as effective as the method you are using? I don't know if I would be able to do  this but I'll give it a try 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Go with whatever works for you but use the whole neti pot (I use the whole mug of mixture - about 6 flushes per mug). Make sure the water is warm - not too hot/too cold, and try to relax as you do it. Drs do advise to just sniff it up nostrils and let it back down nostrils at start to get a feel for it, and as you get more confident, take it down back of throat and out through mouth.  Try not to give up - Good luck!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have been flushing my nose with saline twice a day and noticed that every morning when I wake up there's a lot of green mucus on the back of my throat. Then I go to the washroom and pull it out. It is really green and a lot. After I have cleared that out I do the flushing with saline and scrape my tongue and gargle. I have also tried the juice cleansing but my stomach started hurting as I have acid reflux . I went to see a Doctor for my stomach pain, he prescribed a medication called: Dexilant 60mg, and Domperodone 10mg. I have been taking those two medications and I feel better. I can also notice the difference on my breath. I am at least been able to attend meetings at work and hang out with friends without been worried about my breath. I do avoid taking coffee or alcohol when I am out though because when I do so my breath smells . I also did the breath test for H pyloris and was negative. Anyway, I will keep doing what I am doing and I hope this good result will last for very long.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi georgete. When you say you pull out the mucus how exactly do you do this? I have noticed more post nasal drip since I started using the neti pot and when I wake in the morning I xan feel something at the back of my throat. I can't shift it tho so it just runs down my throat which is gross.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Loobs,

The way I take the green stuff out is just doing maneuvers like if You have a colds, like, coughing and forcing it out. I don't know how to explain it with words. I wish I could show it

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Cez,

I definitely will try that. I also think my poo smell is coming from my nasal. I have had my tonsils removed, I go to the dentist and my teeth and gums are fine. However, I do have acid reflux. Negative result for H-pilori and I take omeprazole. I also have real bad sinus issues, lately I've been experiencing sinus headaches. My nose had been dry for years and I have been experiencing this BB foe 5 years. The doctor said I have excessive post nasal drip and the doctor have me on Claritin, Singular, nasal spray. I also took a Z- pack.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up