Breathing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, is anyone else very aware of their breathing? Like I can't just relax I am constantly trying to get a deep breath and when I cant get one I start to panic. I do deep breathing and things like that but I constantly feel like I can't get a good enough breath. If for a little while I'm distracted then I seem to breath fine, its as soon as I remember that I start feeling like I can't sad I have asthma to so I get worried that it's that or something worse. The doctor feels my asthma is fine and.checked my chest etc..anyone relate? Thank you xxx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yes! after eating or when I'm tired, I'm often very aware of my breathing.

I almost lost it in a movie theatre today because i was thinking about it so much.

What have you tried to stop it?

• Posted

I just try and distract myself as much as possible, sometimes doesn't really help though. It's a horrible feeling tho and is what unusually starts the panic attacks. I have diazepam but try and only take it if I feel really bad. Hope you feel better. xxxx
    • Posted

do you have a therapist or counsellor or anything?
    • Posted

Yes I have started seeing a councillor recently. Xxx
    • Posted

Today's been a good day actually, I have been trying to do the breathing so hopefully it is helping. I had the feeling a little before I went into a restaurant tonight but it went away. How are you feeling? Xx
    • Posted

decent, better than I have over the last few days for sure, so hopefully i keep this up for a while.

do you try any breathing techniques?

• Posted

Yes I have been trying to breath using my stomach rather than my chest (belly breathing) Glad you have had a good day as well. I think I spend more time worrying that it's going to happen or that Im going to take a panic attack when I should just try and not think about it. Xxx
    • Posted

That's very good advice.

If you ever need anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

You are not alone.

Good luck and all the best!

• Posted

Thank you so much. The same goes for you. Feel free to message anytime. Thanks you xxx
  • Posted

Yes I can relate to this leanne it's awful. I panic when I feel I can't get a deep breath,;then the more I try the worse it is. I even try yawning. But what happens is we start to over breath and then panic and it's all a vicious circle. Take care x
    • Posted

That's exactly what it's like Lisa. Then I feel like I can't swallow sometimes. It's so horrible. Wish it would go away sad xx
  • Posted

When you breathe in your stomach should expand. When you exhale your stomach should flatten. Im guessing your using your chest not your stomach. Switching this breathing at first makes you feel strange but you will quickly adjust to it and its better for you.
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa. I have been trying to do this kind of breathing recently as I read about it online, like you say it is strange and I tend to forget especially when I panic. I just want to go back to when it just came naturally and I didn't even think about it!! Xxxx
    • Posted

Most deep breathing I have done and studied.  Is you want to place on hand on your belly when deep breathing. When you take deep inhales through your nose, you should feel your belly and hand rise! Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thats why you have to make it a daily habit, the deep breathing exercise that is.  Practice makes progress.  Try setting 5-10 minutes a day to practice.
    • Posted

A wish we all have love. In the interim when you find time thru the day take two minutes and practice the correct way to breathe. The strange feeling eill wear off as your body gets adjusted to more oxygen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.