Broken Ankle

Posted , 11 users are following.

I broke my ankle playing with the dog outside 7 days ago, the mental recovery is the worst...everything is such hard work, I'm in pain, in a cast, can't sleep, becoming more depressed. I think the worst thing is you have no independence..even going to the loo is hard work, I feel like my apartment is falling apart because I can't hoover etc, I can't carry things around so I can't make a cup of tea and take it to the sofa, or carty washing to the washing machine its driving me insane! I feel like im reduced to sitting on the sofa with my world on a side table.

I try to get as much done as I can without being petrified of falling over, but my good leg gets very tired so I have to stop. I'm extremely agitated all the time because I can't do the things I want to do and plans are out the window, just feel awful.

I know its not going to be like this forever but I just wanted to mention how this affects you mentally.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suggest that you consider buying an iwalk 2.0 then you will be able to be mobile and hands free.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi there, Can you tell me what an iwalk is please?

Thanks x

• Posted

Best thing is to Google it and then watch the the videos. If you go to the Amazon web site you will have access to loads of feedback and videos.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Angela I think everyone who has been here understands. Ive been on crutches for 3 months and have 2young grandchildren 5 and 2 who I have over. I'mnot sure if you are on your own but I think you willget so angry in the end you willlesrn how to adapt! Thats what happened to me! And I have had to learn patience. With myself and everyone else. I tied a plastic bag to the end if my crutch handle tocarry stuff in. I use an old fashioned bum bag for my mobile and small stuff. Make a flask of coffee tomake life easier. Get a tiny flask which you can put in your carrier bag to take drinks from kitchen to lounge etc. I hate having to rely on people but you must ask for help if you have someone who can help. Just keep meals easy. Read something new! I'm trying to sort all those pictures on the computer. Phone your friends when your diwn and tell them how you are feeling. It is ok to feel sorry for yourself. I think it affects up beat people more but just remember it will pass.........good luck!

• Posted

Aw Angela, your post brought a lump to my throat, you have completely and exactly described my life the last 6 weeks. Having to stand in the kitchen with a cup of tea cause you can't carry it to the sofa, kicking the washing basket to the washing machine, trying to put a wash on. Those simple things we take for granted. I was very naive to think I'd be restricted but manage, completely forgetting I'll have no use of my hands as I need them for my crutches. Going out is simply non existent! And trying to get out of bed in the morning just to go sit on a couch is depressing!

My boyfriend left me 3 weeks ago (I suspect for someone else) so I'm now left overthinking every detail of our relationship, when all I want to do is keep busy and occupy my mind. I'm such an independent and busy person and never rely on people, so it's hard for me to accept help, but I'm learning that I have to.

Because of my break, I'll be another 3 weeks in a boot, and have only just started to weight bear, which is painful but I'm so happy just for some progress. I ended up in A&E a couple of weeks ago, and doctors discovered a blood clot, doesn't rain but it pours eh!

I promise it gets better, it's just so difficult when you can't see light at the end of the tunnel.

I always wear something with pockets to carry snacks and stuff from the kitchen, and make up big bottles of juice so I don't have to make trips.

I really do know how you feel and I hope it was a clean break and a straightforward recovery! Feel free to reply, I'm happy to listen, and it's kinda good to have a moan and a rant with someone who knows how I feel. I'm tired of hearing myself moan at folk. Speedy recovery!!! Xx

• Posted

Aww I don't know how you coped, splitting up from your boyfriend and having to put up with a broken ankle that's awful! I'm so grateful for all the comments, I don't feel like I'm being a moaning/whinging bat now.

My friend has leant me a zimmer frame to use and its great... I don't feel like Im going to fall over every time I get up now, although, being 41 and active to hopping round with a zimmer frame is quite funny!

I do smoke and the blood clot thing does bother me, I've been prescribed thinning injection's which I do every evening, I hate doing it but better safe than sorry.

I will get there eventually!!

Thanks again for your comments x

• Posted

I didn't realise you had a blood clot aswell. I'm on blood thinning tablets. I'm also a smoker, and the doctors didn't say anything about it. I had almost quit, I'd broken my ankle a Monday eve, my surgery was postponed Tue, Wed, Thu and Fri, by then, (no ciggys those 4 days) I told them I was going home and immediately lit up as soon as I got outside. It was torture being in a ward full of dementia patients that set off alarms all night, pulling out their cathater or shouting for a nurse. I know it can't be helped but the sleep deprivation was a nightmare, I ended up going home for the weekend. And had my surgery the following Tuesday. The zimmer is a great idea, wish I'd had one.

Never feel bad for moaning, judging by other comments and my own experiences this is definitely the worst experience of my life.

I have to keep telling myself how lucky I am to have such great friends. I'm a barber and my work colleagues took me to a barber bash event and borrowed a wheelchair. I have a wonderful woman looking after my horse. My mum pops in and cooks my tea. And friends nip me to appointments, take me out for a cuppa, and bring in shopping. So trying to look on the bright side. Xx

• Posted

Hi...no I dont have a blood clot, its just something that worries me, they gavee the injection's saying that now if your in a cast you have to have them. God it must have been awful for you....I don't think I could cope, I hate hospitals at the best of times!

• Posted

Hi Angela, I know exactly how you feel. When I broke my ankle the pain was unbearable. Coming home and trying to figure out how I was going to live was a nightmare. From showers, to going to the toilet I thought I was going to go insane. I think I spent the first week or 2 pretty much in bed. I live in a double story, stairs where out of the question. Trying to sleep like you was horrible. Especially with the moon boot on. I fell twice getting out of the shower, I too became depressed about my sorry situation. My hands where red raw from the crutches, so I know how you feel. But after a couple weeks I started to figure out little things. I got down the stairs on my bum and up backwards. It was hard but it was my only way. Pulling myself up once I got to the top was hard work, but it got easier believe it or not. I had a study chair on wheels so I used that to get around between the kitchen and lounge. It meant I could carry my coffee. I made breakfast etc sitting on the chair. I would even wheel myself to the laundry to load the machine. I realized I needed a non slip mat in the shower with a shower chair. I had to put everything in place for when I got out, it was not easy but does get better. Everything takes forever and causes pain and exhaustion and I am sorry but the exhaustion never really went away. I found a way to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs and the boot loosened. I am now 5 months out of that boot and so happy to be on my feet. It has been hard to get moving again though. I wont lie to you. It is not easy. I still have a limp and pain and stiffness. I might need injections into my joint to stop the discomfort. I have faith I will be back to myself eventually. All in all breaking my ankle was one of the worst experiences of my life. If you want to ask me anything about how to do things, if I can answer I will. There are lots of little tricks that make it bearable at times. I wish you well. Time will pass so hang on to that fact and before you know you will be back on two feet. Take care of yourself
  • Posted

Welcome to the University of Patience and Innovation. 

Motto is Necessity is the Mother of Invention

You are so right it is a frustrating hissy fit throwing exhausting process. Sadly it can't be rushed. I am on my second tour of duty since there were complications with my first surgery in July and had to have a revision surgery in Feb so I'm back in a cast again facing another 4 to 6 moth recovery time. The "I walk 2" is a good suggestion although I have been a little slow in the learning curve. I still go back to my knee scooter which has served me well with being more mobile. Your right everything you do is excruciatingly more difficult and exhausting. Getting the right tools for you is important. I rented my knee scooter but they can be purchased both new and used (same with the I walk) This time around I got a frame with handles to put around the toilet so I have handles to support lowering and rising. A long sprayer head for the shower and shower chair (my shower chair is a small plastic outdoor chair that has been pulled into service. I'm married so I'm lucky to have help if needed but he's starting the eye rolls of someone that's kind of over the caretaker role. It's actually a good thing because it makes me determined to do things myself. I get a sense of accomplishment when I find a new way of doing something. I do a little bit and then crash for a nap. Don't be hard on yourself. This is a long recovery process but in the scheme of things only a brief time in your life. It does have an end point and you will fly again. Good wishes.

• Posted

I know how you feel. I broke my ankle in November. 2 surgeries and non weight bearing for almost 3 months. (Way too long I find out now!) you need to give into it and let people help you. My physical therapist had me watch this YouTube Explain pain which explains how mentally it can affect your pain. Once I understood that my recovery has gotten better.

It's a long recovery & patience is needed.

Are you going to have surgery? Follow the doctors orders or recovery can be longer. I'm sorry if this isn't much help. I hope so!

• Posted

Good morning I know exactly how you feel I've been through that 5 times now. It is very hard I kept a journal when it first happened it helped me vent my feelings I live alone and in an apartment. The first 4 surgeries I was in an apartment on the third floor no elevator. It was months before I learned how to hop up and down the steps I was 54 at the time. Now I'm on the first floor for this last one. It's important to keep in touch with family and friends. Please hang in there it will get better soon I know it seems forever I don't know how old you are I know it was really hard for me to hop around at my age lol. I'm here if you want to talk good luck. Debi

• Posted

That is really tough. I do understand what it means to have to tackle it all on one's own. I found the evenings and nights very lonely.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Angela it will get better.  I was non weight bearing after surgery for 12 weeks and just started walking.  Here are some ideas to help you.  

People mentioned the i walk and it is an option but talk to your doctor because it has a high fall risk.  My daughter used it before her surgery but neither of us were allowed after surgery.  

A knee scooter with a basket will give you your indepence back.  Look on line for a used one if you can not rent one.

Use a back pack. 

Order delivery and order extra. 

There are services here in the US where people will do your grocery shopping for you or perhaps your grocery store delivers.  The internet can direct you to those services.  

Hire a cleaning person or a teenager to come after school and help you for a couple hours with things like changing bedding, putting laundry away, cleaning.  

Talk to your pastor at your church and ask for help and see if he could find some volunteers to help you and to also pray for you.  

Ask friends to come over to visit. 

Buy a coloring book and colored pencils, draw or do a craft.  

A raised toilet seat will help.  

A shower chair can help.

Eat healthy and take vitamins.  

Sit in the sun.

things will improve and after every low tide there is a high tide.  

• Posted

Hi Angela

I fell walking out to feed our horses Jan 16/17 and shattered my Tib/Fib ( bimalleolar comminuted pilon fracture ) I had surgery and spent a week in hospital. I'm non weightbearing since Jann 17/17 and have had to come to terms with not being able to weight bear for approx the next 2 months still. I agree it's extremely hard to accept but I've figured things out. Hubby got me a travel mug which I hook over the handle of my crutch for carrying it.... I'm doing laundry - I just push the laundry basket with my casted foot - mind you I gave no stairs to contend with. I'm also going out to the barn and feeding the horses , once again by pushing the hay bin along the floor, then lifting it while balancing with one crutch.

It took me 6 weeks to get to this point , it wasn't right away as I spent the 1st week and a half in hospital. Things will get easier as you get your balance and become more comfortable with the crutches. I also make sure to get out with hubby when he's running errands as often as possible , otherwise the walls would close in on me...

I hope things get easier for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.