Broken ankle

Posted , 12 users are following.

Broke my right ankle a week ago and had surgery. (Metal plate and screws put in)

Experiencing a lot of pain.

Is this normal?

1 like, 415 replies

415 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Britta,

Extremely sorry to hear about your injury. At start it's norm to have pain I have been thru the same fracture in my left ankle fibula and tibia implants of one metal plate and 9 screws I am now in the 6 month from the surgery still having lots of pain. I hope you will recover soon by time ..

Heed all the advices by the doctor and continue ur physiotherapy always. All the best 👍🏻

• Posted

Thankyou 😀

So many different pains and sensations.

Also consultant said keep of the foot completely And elevated (which is not easy).

The physio therapists said whilst on crutches can put just the toes down on the broken ankle.

Not sure shat to do for the best.

Britta

• Posted

Oh yes, no doubt. Elevating it above your heart is key. I don't know much about the injury you had but if you had screws and a plate I'd think no weight bearing for a month at least. I was 2 months with zero weight bearing. And then my surgeon had me stand with crutches and do partial weight bearing for 2 weeks and then slowly added weight and physical therapy. Slow is better. Ask about a cryo boot. You fill an insulated jug with ice water and it flows through the a tube leading to your foot inside the boot. Helps with pain and sweeping.

• Posted

Swelling! Someone said, "Time takes time." Hang in there. Feel better. Allan

• Posted

Hi Brittany, sorry to hear. I'm not a doctor. But I'm not a stranger to ankle problems. I had mine powdered in an auto accident 29 years ago. Here we are all this time later after numerous reconstructive surgery is, screws and plates in and out. To top it off on 12/21/16 I had another reconstruction and a metal ankle installed. I've not walked too many steps since I was 33 without pain. 1 week after the injury and surgery you went through does not seem to be long at all. Cool it on the pain pills and listen to the doctor's orders. You can have bigger problems I'd that hardware does not set in the bone right. I didn't walk for 3 months from this last operation. My surgeon is very conservative and told me if the metal does not set right and stay put... Well I just said what can happen.

Take care of yourself and when your able to do PT, do it for as long as you can. For whatever reason back when I had my surgeries I wasn't told to go to physical therapy. Now I'm still going 3 times a week and working hard. You should recover nicely and not have pain. It might take a few months though. Hang in there.

Allan

• Posted

Sorry to here this britta. Yes very normal and most probably be very painful at the moment. Very early days. I had to wait 10 days before they could even operate due to too much swelling. But since the operation it's been easier. But still painful. Elevation is the answer it will ease the pain and discomfort. Got a long road ahead. I'm at week 7 and hopefully getting cast off a week today?? Then mist probably go into a boot with LWB as this hopping lark is killing me at 60!! Wish you a speedy recovery. Sandr

• Posted

Hi! Sorry you had to go through all this. I had my surgery done to the ankle and plates n screws fitted a week ago. Yes it does pain but try taking your painkillers on time and keep your leg elevated as much as possible. I am in bed with my leg elevated 95% of the time. When i try to lower my leg it hurts like hell and cannot even take few steps to go to washroom.

Fortunately, this forum and the people are so helpful and good advices. As per their suggestion i now try to move my toes n fingers few times to prepare my self and helps blood flow and slowly lower my leg and it does reduce the pain.

Looks like we both had the same type surgery at same time! Keep me posted how you get on.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

Thanks

• Posted

Early days for you too then deepus.. I've been up on my bed since I came home from hospital nearly 6 weeks ago. It's easier to stay upstairs as the bathroom is across from my bedroom. But still hard work to get there hoping using the ZIMMER or crutches. Now since yesterday I have pain in my good leg now in the calf!!! So fed up with it all now. Still get pain swelling and my toes turn purple as soon as my foot is down. Take painkillers on time, but now find that they have not helped wit him going to the loo so on the laxatives as well now... Seems like forever... Take care. Sandra

• Posted

Sorry to hear that your having the same pains.

My concern is at times the cast feels really tight I guess it's the swelling.

Getting stinging sensations at times in the joint and foot too.

Morphine does help.

Going back on the 5th June for a proper cast.

Wish you well in your recovery

Britta

• Posted

Yes get this too. Can happen when. I haven't even moved off my bed. Tight around the ankle and over the top of foot. Also get funny feeling in my toes, but it dissappear 's once j wiggle my toes. Sandra

• Posted

I broke my left ankle in three places and dislocated it. The ambulance responders gave me fentinol and when I got to the hospital I was take care of very well. Make sure you maintain your pain medication and don't be shy about it. One can't heal properly if your in constant pain. Like anything else, the pain will recede over time. The worst pain is being immobile and bored to death. Just follow your doctors advice and get plenty of rest. Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou

I too had brilliant care at the hospital bur it's all the not knowing what is " normal "

Find very difficult to get computable , and am extremely bored.

I am on slow release morphine which I take twice a day and paracetamol.

Thanks

Britta

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.