Broken ankle

Posted , 12 users are following.

Broke my right ankle a week ago and had surgery. (Metal plate and screws put in)

Experiencing a lot of pain.

Is this normal?

1 like, 415 replies

415 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

What kind of pain? Do you have burning pain?

• Posted

Difficult to explain.

In between tingling almost ike pins and needles plus severe pains on the ankle joint and heel that's more like a dull ache

And at times feels really tight around the bottom of the cast

• Posted

Hi Debbie's. All of this I still get 7 weeks down the line. The pins n needles and burning I get in my toes but it helps when I wiggle them and it eases off. I feel like the cast has got tight around the ankle even though I haven't done anything. But get same feeling once I've hoped to the loo and toes turn blue. We are all getting the same things so sounds to me that they are the norm.? One other thing I get is being able to feel the hardware, Yuk it's horrible. But don't happen all the time, which makes me think that it's OK? Just worried that when the cast comes off nxt Friday the wound hasn't opened!!! 😢 😢 😢. Worrying times. Sandra

• Posted

Yes exactly. I have burning tightness tingles electric shocks. I have numbness over top of foot big toe third toe. Hypersensitive on second and third toe. Pinky toe is fine. Top of foot hypersensitive to touch and sore like a bruise. I had the brostrom procedure on April 28th to repair two torn ligaments that I got from a broken ankle I got over a year ago. I didn't know I had the torn ligaments at first. I just kept feeling unstable and rolling my foot. It is getting better but still burns and stings alot of the time. I had splint two weeks and then got a boot. I can take boot off to sleep

• Posted

Hi Britt sorry you've had to find this forum but luckily you have. There is a lot of support. As you've had surgery they have to cut through nerves which take a long time to heal and is oh so painful. And hopefully you get the advice of walking level when yo start weight bearing and have boot or cast. It is so important to minimise stress on all joints and back.  I have same injury 24 march. Has been a rough haul but getting better every day. Just stay sane. 

• Posted

Thankyou Jenni

It's not knowing what is normal to expect with regards to the various different pains.

Are there any things available to use to elevate the leg other than pillows do you know?

As it's now causing me lower back problems too (have always had back problems on and off ).

Many thanks

Britta

• Posted

I've been elevating with the pillows one lengthways so it supports under knee and s small firmer cushion on top to support ankle so the pillow can't wrap and touch ankle. Hurts it anything touches it. I'd rather give birth a dozen times than this. 

• Posted

Hi britta, I've had back pain now for nearly 9yrs, so know whet enjoy yr coming from. I find using my 'tenns' machine helps most times, but ad we are layed up in bed it's hard to use as the pressure from laying wouldn't give same effect. I have a double quilt folded on my bed, and as I can't lay flat on back as the back pain won't allow, I tend to turn onto my left side and find it helps. Also because the quilt goes from one side to the other I can just keep placing my leg in different. Places on the quilt. Sometimes wish I could 'unhook' and throw through the windiw!! We will get there... Hope your day is easier than yesterday!! And we all continue to get better every day, even though sometimes we don't feel. We are.... Sandra

• Posted

My words exactly Jenni. I said it many a time in the early dsys/weeks bug that has Eased off now. It's just the NOT able to get around that the killer!! Sandrs

• Posted

Thankyou

I too hope that yours and everyone's else's day are better today.

Keep having dreams that I'm walking on my feet with cast on totally un aided

Crutches are not easy

Taken to getting up and down the stairs on my bottom as it's easier

Britta

• Posted

Me too. But it's the coming back up that drains me. Takes every once of my strength. Since reaching 60 (take me... Only 60in January) I seem. To of had one thing or another, just also been told that I need b12 injections now ad I've been so tired and body feels as if there's no strength there. So they were started while in hospital with all this!!! I haven't got a hand rail to come up my stairs so have to get one put in and soon... Not good on the crutches ad I keep loosing my balance. Think it's the position I hold the bad leg? So when I am up I use a ZIMMER!!! Right old granny!!! 😢. Thank God I've found this forum so I can vent all my frustration out. Lol. Sandra

• Posted

I was 50 in March...

But have other health problems too.

And am a carer for my daughter

I am glad I found this forum too as wasn't sure where to look for help or advice

Britta

• Posted

Ssi
    • Posted

I broke my ankle in 2 places last week and had surgery but the pain is awful, i have just found this forum and wonder if anyone can help, what are the best painkillers
    • Posted

Hi

I'm slow release morphine tablets one tablet twice a day and paracetamol but it doesn't take all the pain and discomfort away.

• Posted

All the hospital gave me to come home with was paracetamol, im guessing i will have to call dr for a prescription for something stronger
    • Posted

They sent me home with a weeks supply of other tablets.

I would ask your doctor

• Posted

Hi,

Im on codeine and paracetamol which seem to help for few hours but has side effects like nausea etc.

Definitely just paracetemol cannot help!

Thanks,

• Posted

Thank you. I will call dr on Tuesday, this is only day 8 and im so fed up

• Posted

I'm taking my own tabs that I've been taking to help with my back pain. Had the OK from hospital staff. They are called Zapping and are codeine Phosphate %paracetamol based take 1 4times a day. They do make me sleepy though, but don't mind that now as I'm up on bed all day!! Mention to your GP. . Hope you find something that does help. Sandra

• Posted

I'm taking codeine phosphate and paracetamol... Zapain. Which I've been taking for back pain. Had the OK from hospital. This helps me. But does make me sleepy. Sandra

• Posted

Yes liz. Definitely think you need something stronger. Sorry your in pain. Been there and my pain had subsides a lot now... Week 7. But still know when tablets are due!!! Good luck. Sandra
    • Posted

Britta..... They are called. ZAPAIN...... Not Zapping. Spell Check error!!! Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.