Broken ankle

Posted , 12 users are following.

Broke my right ankle a week ago and had surgery. (Metal plate and screws put in)

Experiencing a lot of pain.

Is this normal?

1 like, 415 replies

415 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Same happened to me last weekend, i to am suffering a lot of pain,and already fed up of  being bed ridden, reading through here looks like its quite normal
    • Posted

Me to and we are only in early days, i am such an independant person but now cant do anything! I just wish the pain would go
    • Posted

Same.

The hours drag and reading on the forum it could take months

I just want to be up and normal again

• Posted

i know!! The thought of laying in bed 24/7 is terryfying me!! Im normall so active
    • Posted

Liz and britta..... Yes I feel. What your both feeling. And I'm at week. 7!!! Hopefully get my cast off nxt Friday? But will most probably get a boot with some light baring weight? I've never been so fed up and bored in all my life. The one thing that gets to me every day, is waking up and having to wait for my first cup of coffee!!! My husband is out by 5 every morning and since the accident he's been sleeping in the spare bedroom ad I need double bed to myself, so I normally still fasto when he leaves, so then have to wait until my son wakes before I get my daily Fix!!! And that could not be till 10am where I've been awake washed n dressed since around 8. Lol. Oh the joys.... Long long road ahead. Just give me my independence back please!!! 😢 😢. We WILL. Get there but will take time girls.... Lol. Sandra. Thank god for TV. X

• Posted

I got my husband to set me up for some independence. Our dining room has coffee table with microwave on it with coffee  tea crackers water cup nuts meds all accessible from wheelchair. I told him the better he set me up the least he would have to do. Armchair tv. All bandages foot creams commode, I needed to be able to do something's for myself. We put the clothing I needed on a trolly table in the bath so I could reach it with. I needed help with plastic wrapping for showering but other than that managed out of pure stubborn. Just to be able to make a coffee felt good. We're slowly able to gets bits put away and can see some normality. 

• Posted

Sounds like you've got it nailed Jenni. My bed was but downstairs but I couldn't manage the step out into my utility room for the loo, so they had to take apart and put back upstairs. Would of been easier for me dwn there as could of done the same from ?. So I'm at the call of anyone who's here, as sometimes I'm here alone. But my son makes sure I have drinks and snacks ready fir me. Hate relying on people though. Sandrs

• Posted

Could you not hire a porta loo we ended up getting a commode rigged up because I was urgently peeing every half hour. Side effects from meds. I ended up with paracetamol only after the first week. I dislike any meds but can fully understand the need for some of them. 
    • Posted

Its these little things that are so frustrating, im always up in the night making cuppas, but now have to wait for hubby to wake...may invest in a flask lol. Its the dam boredom though, omg there is just nothing you can do,and how i would love a shower!! Even taking a pee is such event!!!!x
    • Posted

I guess if you can't get into shower would be awful. I'm lucky our shower very accessible annd with bag on to keep cast dry. I'm hanging out to shower without chair. 

• Posted

I too would love to shower bur not possible but have managed to have one bath so far which was such a mission

Boredom is awful

Feel so fed up just laying here.

I too have a supply of snacks and water left for me during the day

But nothing beats making a coffee as and when

Britta

• Posted

I'm too private when it comes to my oblusions!! Would be mortified if I had to ask anyone to empty a common, was bad enough having to use a bedpan while in hospital. Should be able to put my anxiety aside but I can't 😔 Sandra

• Posted

I have purchased a bath seat which has been great but still very nervous using it. Today ìe received the waterproof leg cover. So next shower I will be able to get both legs in. Whoop. Whoop. Don't know how you managed to bath? I wouldn't be able to stand back up even without a cast!! Haven't been able to have a bath for so Oooooo lol g because of my back problem. But so nice to have a shower after 5 weeks of just being able to do body wash. Simple things really. But what a pleasure!! Lol. Sandra

• Posted

It was really difficult

And had to have my husband haul me out afterwards as I could not get in or out

My shower is unfortunately over the bath so that is def not an option for me at all

But could use the disabled shower at my gym in time as nothing beats having a shower

Britta

• Posted

Tell me about it liz. How come you can't shower? I have bath seat over my bath and bath one leg in one out and hold shower over me. Just got waterproof cover so will be able to sit in for as long as I want now!!😁 😁 😁 😁. Boredom is a big thing. Feel it more when family and friends post their pics on FB when they are out enjoying themselves. My daughters have taken me out twice in 7 weeks but the discomfort pain and discomfort isn't worth it. My one daughter is at her caravan this weekend and asked me to join her and my grandchildren, but just the thought of all the hassle thing and froing I decided not to go. 😔 😭 roll on the day I can just get into my car and drive!!! Sandra

• Posted

It's pretty lonely isn't it??

I was supposed to have flown to Norway this weekend 😢

I can't wait until I can drive again lol

Britta

• Posted

Oh no. Worst for you then. Was it for a holiday? I don't find difference it lonely as I do like my own company, but I always do something. Either decorating. Cleaning or walking the dog. Just the boredom. And being g able to see the things need cleaning. My son does his best by doing g my food changing my bed and putting cleaner over. But things like polishing and bleaching the bathroom is a big thing for me. Sad I know. Plus my bedroom was the next room for me to decorate and now I'm laying here looking at it and thinking it's bad lol. Sandra

• Posted

I think what makes it worse for me is i should be on a girlie holiday in Turkey! My friends have taken a picure mask of me on a stick and keep posting pics of me on sunbed at bar etc, i am badly feeling it seeing everyones pics of bbqs, fun at the beach and im stuck in bed! I must admit i have shed a few tears! I cant shower as its in bath and have not got shower stool and tbh not sure i could manage it x
    • Posted

Mine is in bath too liz but I've just got a bath seat so all I have to do is sit on seat Bd hold shower over myself. One leg in bath and other over side resting on a chair. Good feeling once I've had one. God I won't be gutted if I was supposed to be on holiday with girls.. Even worse if I had to look at my carboard face!!! But is funny... Soz. Sandra

• Posted

I have to admit i did find it funny, i would be way to scared to attempt a stool in shower, knowing my luck id fall off it!!!! Xx
    • Posted

Hi liz. Mine isn't a stool IN bath, but a bench seat. It goes across the bath and rests on each side of the bath, so all you have to do is slid yourself on and off. Look them up. BATH BENCH. I wouldn't like to try a seat in the bath as you have to climb in the bath to get on it. But these are great. Sandra

• Posted

Liz do you live in the UK? IF So look on the argos site mine us on there for £29.99 sandra

• Posted

Hi britta. I got mine from Argos. Do you live in the UK? Its a bath board. £ 29.99. You can adjust the rubbers on each side to fit the width of the bath. Sandra

• Posted

Britta, I have just received a Limbo waterproof protector that seals over your cast so can be taken on and off, and used over. You can order online. I got the leaflet from my hospital department. It had a rubber seal that goes around you'd leg to stop leaks. Cost about £12 plus postage. Sandra

• Posted

Brittany, Kaiser gave me Aqua Shiel to put over my cast. It sleeps right over and nothing leaks.
    • Posted

I was just thinking the same thing. I always feel lonelier around a holiday weekend, and when my ankle feels better. All I can do is count the days down to June 6!
    • Posted

I know what you're feeling. Mary. I'm hoping that mine is off on the 2june but know I still won't be able to walk. What I've read on everything I've looked up is even though I may go into a boot it could still be NWB for a few weeks!! But could also men I could get told I can do a little. Light weight baring. Don't know how it will go anyway as I do get a lot of swelling and discomfort plus purple toes as soon as my foot is down. Can't win. But at least I will be able to sit in shower and just let water shower over me and get this keg clean... Lol. Sandra

• Posted

Yes im in the uk and will look for that bath thing, thank you, my toes also go very purple and omg the blood rush pain when you stand up is horrendous! I feel like my cast will burst it swells so much!!! Im so glad i found this forum x
    • Posted

Agree liz. Good to know others are going or have been through the same. Does help put yr mind at rest a little. X
    • Posted

I am to Sandra. I was able to empty it myself. But urgency of needing it had to have it close by at night. Wouldn't have made it.

• Posted

Good morning Jenni, Sandra,Mary, Britta hope you are all ok, another day of wishing i could go for a walk,,im a bit concerned as my leg been swollen all night, it feels like the cast is going to burst and my toes look so swollen and purple, would you say this is normal,and it really hurts x
    • Posted

Hi liz. Mine used to swell up quite a bit. But how long have you had this cast on for? Have you had your leg down for a few hours? I went. Down stairs last Sunday and had my leg down sat in ?. For a while. Until I couldn't stand the discomfort any more and came back to my bed. My leg to over 5hrs to stop throbbed and for swelling to go dwn. But if you gave woke like this then I would definitely take a trip to A & E. Fingers Xsd. Ssndra

• Posted

Bloody leg!!! Who would think that it would cause so much trouble just having a cast on. Font know how you managed to empty it yourself tho my per world of been all over with me hoping!! Lol x
    • Posted

Thanks Liz. Ive had a good day today. Taking a few more steps and pacing myself carefully. And Sandra When I had cast on I had wheelchair so was able to take commode bucket to empty reasonably easily. Have you all discovered the good old wire coat hanger bent long ways for easy door shutting. Hanging washers in shower. Scooping stuff off floor. My grabber kept falling off chair and hanger stays put. 
    • Posted

Ha ha ha love it Jenni. Oh right.... ? our for me as I'm upstairs and bathroom right at the top of stairs!! So if I miss judged coming out I would most probably end up having cistern ride down the stairs!!! I don't close my bedroom door much since being stuck up here as don't like the feeling of being stuck in, plus can shout my orders when someone is here!!! But do use my crutches to pull curtains across at night and first thing. I'm waiting for belly to calm down today before having a nice hot shower, as I've been feeling a bit sick now for last 2days, think it's all the pain killers I've been taking plus laxatives as the painkillers have blocked me up!!! God one thing after another!!! 😢 😢 😢 😢. X

• Posted

"COSTER RIDE* bloody spell check!!!

• Posted

Sandra. Constipation is horrible. I ended up finding a good balance of warm pear juice oats and fruit for breakfast and never let it go any more than one day then took one senna . I rarely need them now but to begin with was a major drama. 
    • Posted

Ive had the cast on since last saturday (20th) when i had the surgery, i broke the day before,im the same i feel very nauseas and cant eat much at all....may get some weight loss lol, i stopped taking the codeine as boy does it bung you up, thats all sorted now lol x
    • Posted

BREAKFAST...i dont get my first cup of coffee until 12 when my son gets his bum out of bed!!! but once he does he looks after me well!!  Ive always taken senna and have done for years now, but this has been a nightmare! its the codeine that does it, so eased off them but they do a better job at controlling everything....frown  sx
    • Posted

I would say for you to give hospital a call as its early days. I couldnt have my op for 10 after my fall as the swelling was too bad, so they had me in a open cast layed up in hospital couldnt move anywhere!!  pin and swelling was hurendious. did get swelling after the operation but nothing to the extent that it caused me a lot of pain, more discomfort. But when they took the cast off, you could see where the foot had been swallen because the cast  left its mark on the top of my foot which told the staff that the cast was a bit tight. So if it was me and ts still giving you pain and discomfort I would go back.....good luck  sx
    • Posted

Just used my LIMBO protector. defo no water geeting in.But couldnt put it on by meself ascouldnt reach the end of my foot to slid it over....great!!!  which has killed it for me as I wanted to be able to shower as and when...not when i only have someone here to help!! but it did the job...sx
    • Posted

All my initial problems were medication related. And incorrect applications of casts The hives rashes peeing vomiting constipated depression. Sleep deprivation caused by all the above. I'm so glad husband believed that I know my body and I'm usually a very strong person and he refused to leave me in hospital for a variety of neglectful practices he witnessed, and they discharged me thank god. I do not believe I would come as far as I have without his backing. He retired the day before I broke myself. Lucky him 

• Posted

The spinal anaesthetic also took 4 goes to get in he kept hitting spinal nerves and said oh it shouldn't do any permanent damage. I didn't go into a bed slept in chair. They wouldn't take me to toilet couldn't shower me or even clean me up after failure of bodily functions during anaesthetic. It was a horrific stay. Numerous other neglects and humiliation to other patient. Our health system is stuffed. 

• Posted

Not sure where abouts you are in the country but I had really good care.

I am sorry you had so many problems.

• Posted

OMG you had a rough ride. Can't fault mine. Only thing I can moan about was the food. How they could serve it up in a hospital I don't know. I started. Sc

• Posted

Oh Jenni. Horrible to hear you were put through all this. I decided to go against the spinal wY and got knocked out. Had the leg block which turned out to be great as kept pain at bay. Can't fault my stay THIS Time!! So

• Posted

That is just terrible and you should put a complaint in Jenni, im down in Essex and got fabulous care, the nurses were so good, when they said they wanted to do the spinal anaestheteic i refused from fear, i was put right out, but reading what you and britta have said could explain my anxiety , something i have never had and dont want again, i was crying like a baby, sweating, trouble breathing, im guessing it was the mixture of drugs, morphine just made me itch like mad! I reallly feel for you jenni as that treatment is unacceptable x
    • Posted

I'm in Aust and our health system is a mess.young nurses are only university trained. They get about 10 weeks pracs during the course and usually in aged care facilities compassion can't be taught and as a patient that is the first thing you need. Ambulance staff were amazing as are the older on the job trained nurses. I will be putting in a complaint when I'm up to it. I would never leave a loved one in their own. I would make sure they had a voice. 

• Posted

You have just answered my question. Liz. I asked while I was in hospital why I was twitching? It was really bad. Still get a bit now so is it the medication? As I cN twitch that bad at times it hurts my foot. And sometimes that's what starts this bloody feeling off when I can feel hardware!! 😢. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.