Broken ankle

Posted , 12 users are following.

Broke my right ankle a week ago and had surgery. (Metal plate and screws put in)

Experiencing a lot of pain.

Is this normal?

1 like, 415 replies

415 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Anybody have a temp cast on that is not full plaster?

Have you had problems with it?

Surgery 1 week ago

Thanks

Britta

• Posted

Hi britta. Yes I had half cast on for 8 days waiting for surgery. Then once I had surgery new cast was not full but left open in front for swelling. But it had to be pulled part a little after. First day coz the swelling made it tight. That was on for nearly 2weeks then had the one I have now! What problem have you got with yours? Ssndra
    • Posted

The whole thing just feels different now

I am 8 days in and supposed to go back in week tomorrow.

I feel as if the whole thing has somehow shifted.

Some of it now keeps digging into the back of my knee cap

Britta

• Posted

Yes mine moved too but I would move it back slowly so it was comfy, then they put a tight bandage around it. I wobbled it slowly back down. Sx
    • Posted

Ahh ok

Haven't tried moving it .

it won't move but will try again

Many thanks

• Posted

Rather than pushing try twisting gently. Itf it moves. And you have a bandage wrap around as tight as you can bare... It's awful all this isn't it. Ppl just don't understand how bad it is. A friend of mine told me earlier that I shouldn't be getting pain now, but once I told her about the ppl on here had gone through the same and still going through it even though they are further down the line, then she just oh you will get better!!! Sx

• Posted

How is everyone getting on with your injections every night? I still not used to doing mine. And my belly is black and blue!! Sx
    • Posted

Yes agree that people have no idea lol

Injections are not going to bad

But running out of space as not much of an area around the navel where they are supposed to go.

Some nights my husband does them

• Posted

How lucky are you to have hubby do them. Mine can't even look! I have plenty of room as my belly is Big!! " lol one thing I'm dreading is weight gain coz of eating and not being able to work it off. Not that I'm eating more than chicken. N rice. Or beans and toast. As my son does my food and that all he can do. Lol sx

• Posted

They just told me. Below. The navel. My sister in law is a nurse and she did one for me. She did it on the side. Would say in line with the. Book but below navel sx
    • Posted

I was told within 2 inches of naval either side but not above the navel

And to swap sides daily

• Posted

I didn't get told anything about swabs!! Don't think they even seabed when I was I.? Just told below navel level!! " I haven't swayed at all. 😢. Sx

• Posted

I'm worried about weight gain too

Normally at the gym 4 times a week and walking etc

As I can't carry anything and hop on crutches at the same time not able to do snacks lol

Am determined to master crutches

Have been up and down on the stairs twice today using one crutch

It's a killer 💪

Nearly fainted earlier luckily my husband was able to hold on to me tightly until it passed

And managed to sit outside in the sun for a little while

• Posted

Well done you. I'm not happy on crutches and can't do stairs at all. Managed then in hospital but think I must of got some super powers. And only a day after surgery!! I've got worse with anxiety as I've got older and always put excuses in the way of things working about things going wrong. Can't help it and it's taking over things 😔. Takes me forever to get up stairs on my bum even, as it knackers me as upper body strength 💪 has failed me since hoping around with ZIMMER. I've had a really bad day today pain wise and have been able to feel the plates and screws all day. Also foot is sore on both sides where scars are. Don't know if it's because I've cut down the meds. But it's bad 😔 😔 😔. Sx

• Posted

Not many can handle crutches before wb. They're heavy and your  in pain. I Cary surpluss weight. Yep I'm a "fatty" everything in my home is low fat except me. And forgive me I have boobs. And when the "baby" pysio that weighs as much as a wet flannel with her perfect "I go to gym daily and have no kids"body and the only thing that jiggles is her bloody pony tail. She also in no pain and got frustrated because " she showed me haw easy it was. Would I like another demonstration. NO. I wanted to kill her.  The half cast I had on had folds inside. Yep right on wound. And was up too high and cut the back of my knees I had 8 casts in 5 weeks. And cast over staples. Sadistic mongrels. 

• Posted

May I ask what injections are for. I've been spared being stabbed. And has anyone seen the"I Walk 2" I think it's an amazing device. Bit too late for me. But for long term use would be worth it. 

• Posted

I checked out the iWalk 2.0 and had my bodybuilder friend give me her opinion. Mind you, all I wanted to use it for was to get up and down my steps to my condo.   My friend pointed out that while viewing all the videos on their website that none of them were my age and I'm 63.   So I decided to wait until June 6 when I get my walking cast a room and continue to use my knee roller and hopefully I can get down my steps soon enough. Better than breaking my other ankle. 

• Posted

Im so lucky i dont have the injections, im on tablets, x

• Posted

i am exactly the same!! I worry constantly since this happened! I picture myself falling again, im no good on these crutches and i go upstairs on my bum and as you say it knackers you out!! And my pain is bad to both sides where screws and plates are and when the swelling starts omg its awful pain!, what day are you on, im sure i saw your same day as me x
    • Posted

You go girl. Lol I carry extra weight too and at 60 could of done without this. My life revolves running my son around to filming locations and recording studio 's as he learning to drive at the Mo. He's 18. Yes gad him latest but he's my world! So even his world has come to a stand still at the moment. The studio he goes to is only 10mins aways by car but takes over an hr by bus!! And even longer to get home as it takes him into Cardiff centre before coming home!! But he does it when he's needed there. He has been booked to film edit and dvd a charity concert in June and I'm so worried about how he's going to manage it as I take him and stay while he's filming. So much gear had to go with him. Fingers Xsd he doesn't have to c/a. So this bloody ankle has put a stop to him earning. As he's been unable to get a permanent job since leaving school!! Sorry fed up faces all around!! 😢, the injection is for the blood clotting as we are not moving around. Hate doing them and poor belly is black blue and yellow. Sx

• Posted

LIZ Wish I had known you could have tablet instead of injection 💉. I work myself up knowing I have to do them. I'm at week 7 tomorrow, since my accident. Tripped over a 2ft barrier while walking to my car, taking a short cut!! Fell in car park and waited 3 1/2 hrs on the floor for ambulance, in the end rang my daughters who live 30miles away and they came and took me to Cardiff heath hospital, as I had just dropped my son off at recording studio. 2 mins from hospital. Things are done so easily. Sx

• Posted

Jenny, Mary. I haven't heard about this I walk. Thingy but going to check it out! Sx

• Posted

Looks amazing but still don't think I would feel safe to walk as he does in video. Just watchi g I could see myself falling!! 😢 😢 😢

• Posted

Omg you poor thing!!!! I got up at 4am to let cat out and fell down step and bounced back up them! Omg the pain but i was so lucky hubby rang 999 and they were here in 20 minutes, i cant imagine the pain you was in all that time!!! X
    • Posted

Was hard not to scream. But had manager of the store there with me in the car park as someone had gone in and told them to ring hospital, so was very brave, but it all came out once my daughters came yo get me. Horrible. Sx
    • Posted

Same here ambo here really fast. They were amazing. And omg the greenstick pain relief was just heaven. Don't even remember them putting splint on or trip to hospital. I can't imagine how long that 3 1/2 wait would be like. That's just so wrong. 

• Posted

Felt like a lifetime Jenni. Even had text from my son to pick him up from studio. As he had finished filming 📹. So then had to let him know what had happened and for him to make his way to the hospital which was just dwn the road from where he was and to go to A & E. It was hurendus time. Then Fter 5hrz there at Heath hospital they told me that the waiting time for operation was 7days and I would be done quicker at my local hospital. Royal Gwent. So after they had done cast and give me. Morphine my daughters and son drove me to the royal Gwent. Arrived there around 6pm and didn't get seen till 9.30 only because I had massive panic attack!! Got taken onto ward the following morning at 9.30. My accident happened at 12 dinner time the day b4!! Hellof a time. Sx

• Posted

Then waited 9dats until they operated because of swelling!!!! 😢 😢 😢

• Posted

That all sounds like an horrendous ordeal.

I didn't call an ambulance and went to the hospital by taxi

I was really lucky not much of a delay at all at the hospital was seen x rayed tried to pop it into place on a ward and operated within 12 hours of arrival and home 36 hours later

I am in Essex and cannot fault them

• Posted

Sandra you are one brave lady!!!! I could not have coped, jenni what is greenstick? Or am i being thick lol, i had gas and air 
    • Posted

Of course your not thick. It's a tube filled with a drug(I didn't care what it was) they get you to suck in it at first it's gag worthy bit then it's just amazing. What pain. Was as high as a kite. I'd never heard of it either but apparently been usef for quite a while. . You were treated badly Sandra it's disgusting to wait that long 

• Posted

Britta im in Essex to, it wasnt southend hospital was it? They were so good with me x

• Posted

Liz and britta, sounds ad if you've both been lucky with yr treatment on arrival. I was so messed around!! But staff were fantastic. But the A&E department was over run with patients and didn't seem to slow down. Just hope it's not too busy at clinic on Friday, there for nearly 3hrs last time. But must admit I did have a really bad panic attack while they were talking stitches out, staff were great though. Sx

• Posted

I am having real panic moments about my staples coming out i have loads both sides, and am hopeless with pain, im wondering if they would give me something to calm me down lol x
    • Posted

Sandra and Liz I am not looking forward to that either

Might take something to help calm me down before lol

will have to save some of my meds

• Posted

I had gas n air to help me, but didn't give it until I had already started to panic and well into it!! They told me it was because the stitches were in for few days longer than normal and the skin had grown over the top, so they had to dig them out. HURENDUS. experience!! 😢 😢 😢. Hope you will be fine. Have a few bevvies before hand. Lol sx

• Posted

I'll be in the same boat then as when i go

Back it will be 16 days after my op 😢

• Posted

Oh no!!!! Now im really panicking!!!! I might phone them in advance and explain my anxiety, i have staples not stitches 😱😱 i pray they will oblige or i do t know what i will be like!!! X

• Posted

pity we couldnt all be together to supprt each other lol x
    • Posted

Doesn't mean to say yours will be the same. I'm sure you'll be fine. Sx

• Posted

May be worth a try. Can't hurt can it. Yes wouldn't it be great if we could do it together. Support from someone who knows what you're giving through. This time my hubby is taking me, so God help me as I never get sympathy from him, he doesn't do support well. So I'm dreading it. NY girls go away on holiday the same day with all my grandchildren. But it can't come quick enough but I do know hat it's either going to be another cast or boot for few more weeks. 😔 😭 sx

• Posted

Im meant to be going to the O2 to see Take That on the same day. But im thinking i may have to cancel which i am gutted about ☹️ X
    • Posted

Likewise smile i dont like you being in pain but its nice that you understand how painful it is!! X
    • Posted

Oh no.... Think it would be best and true to yourself that it would be a bit risky.. 😔. Sc

• Posted

It great to get support from others going through the same thing. Sure we shall all be fine when we look back at it all, just a shXX going through it!! 😢 😢. Sx

Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Staple removal was not too bad. I had also been terrified about it. It was nothing what I'd built it up to. And was so much better once they were out. No more rubbing on cast and one big step to healing. The nurse spoke whils she did it and.i was suppressed when she said she was finished.  I hope you can ease your anxiety a bit. 

• Posted

Being a coward im still going to ask for gas and air lol, but yes they are really rubbing and does make it sore so from that point cant wait for them to be removed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.