Broken ankle in 3 places, plate 3 pins one side 2 screws the other

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m week 4 post op and non weight bearing. I use crutches, scooter and wheelchair - but I get tired easily. 

Feeling frustrated and the loss of independence is the hardest. I just want to be able to do one thing without it being a mission. I’m trying to keep positive - getting harder daily

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dawn 

I know how you feel its very hard work i had a trimaleolar fracture and dislocation of the ankle  and it takes a long time for the recovery. But it does start to get a bit easier its just a big shock from being active to being inactive. 

• Posted

CRUTCHES------- OMG.....WHAT AN EXPERIENCE.  LET'S ALL HAVE A LAUGH TO CHEER US UP!

The morning after my surgery, the physio arrives in my room and I have been out of theatre only 15 hours......In she breezes with a serious look on her face....RIGHT THEN LET'S HAVE YOU UP OUT OF THAT BED! Jesus .....helpp me please I am thinking is this women mad?  Then I am given a lifeline....She tells me if I can manage to walk on those crutches right NOW..... I CAN GO HOME!  home.....sweet home...

I somehow tell myself that if I get home all will be much better I love home, I have my own fridge, my won bed.............BUT I HAVE NEVER WALKED ON CRUTCHES IN MY LIFE WITH 2 WORKING ANKLES AND NOW I HAVE ONE IN AGONY SWOLLEN TOES AND A HEAVY POT..........I gaze at those crutches as she lowers my bed and smiles....I WILL WALK ON THOSE CRUTCHES IF IT KILLS ME I TELL MYSELF .....The stamina and the adrenalin kicked in and I make it around the bedroom yes without breaking any more bones...I make it I bludy well make it and back to the bed...where I put on a brave face and say can I go home now.YES YOU CAN! I say to myself YES OHHH YES YES YES I AM GETTING OUT OF ThIS PRISON CAMP HOME BOUND............I get home with my crutches and out of the car I shuffle...THEN I SEE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT ENEMY FACING ME THAT MOUNTAIN I HAVE TO CLIMB OVER??????? THE FRONT DOOR STEP!!!!!! I cant do it mum, I cant go over that step.  I cant and then reality dawns crutches and steps they don't mix!!!  Then I have a brain storm ....get me the kitchen chair bring it to the door and I will flop back on the chair and somehow I managed it...swinging my legs over that Mountain the step...........Inside the house my daughter and my mum would love to tidy up my crutches....propping them up in the corner of the room or putting them in the cupboard.............WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THEM I WONDER......How am I going to get my crutches out the corner of the room or the cupboard...I need them to move an inch............... It took them about 3 weeks to stop tidying my crutches away and realise those crutches were now my spare ankle!!!!!!! People would pop round...crutches oh what fun can I have a go...FUN?  FUN? I can tell you I have had more fun with the tax man or the VAT man than those crutches ever gave me.   The cruthches would carry me to the kitchen and I would go there for coffee...realising on arrival when I got there I could not make coffee as I could not stand without the crutches.............JUST TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME I CARRIED A CUP OF COFFEE WHILST WALKING WITHOUT THEM !  CAFE A LAIT! 

7 and a half week after bimalleolar ankle fracture and surgery (open fracture)

god bless x

• Posted

Just echoing what Andy says. It is a very long slow process. Use this forumn to connect with others regularly and also pass help on to others. This has kept me in a much better place mentally. You can offer help or kind words to others. All the best xx
  • Posted

Hi Dawn

I am 15 months post surgery. I am walking, back to the gym, doing everything I was before the injury. Even wearing high heels. Don’t worry too much. It gets better! You will be fine! Just take it easy. By the way, I am 55 so not a spring chick. I recorded my progress on a blog  called My life after ORIF surgery. Check it out. Maybe it helps.

Brigitte

• Posted

It's early days for you dawn.

You will feel tired for a while, I still do now. Listen to what your body tells you and you'll be fine.

When I was NWB and 2 crutches I used a rucksack to get things from a to b. Gave me bit of independent. As Jude says use this forum, I'm so glad I found it.

All the best

Alison.

• Posted

Using a rucksack never crossed my mind at all!  I Chose another option for getting things from A to B.  I bought a waitress type trolley obviously on wheels I was able to hop then stop and push the trolley forward and hop a few paces again push the trolley and so on.  It is amazing how we all find our own ways to survive.  That is what gets us through each day....upwards and on wards all
  • Posted

Thank you everyone 

That put a smile on my face just the kind words and encouragement 

I’m 57 so expect the healing process to be slow and I have very little patience. I prefer to be the carer than someone care for me. Early days as you all say so I must dig deep and learn a new skill - patience x 

• Posted

Bimalleolar ankle fracture

Hello to everyone who ever suffered a broken ankle.  I have joined this site to help others who are presently suffering or whom will go on to one day fracture an ankle. Firstly I want to tell you that I was a nursing sister in the NHS and worked 26 years in the NHS.  i sustained an open (ie...FIND THE BLOG WHEN YOU TAP ON MY USER NAME.....Any support needed I am here I GET IT....STAY STRONG GOD BLESS ALL POORLY ANKLES X

• Posted

I'm 66 dawn, always been very active and like yourself would rather be the carer but I've gone through the worse, I hope, and come out the other side.

Patience plays a big part in all of this, only do what you are able, listen to what that foot is telling you.

Today I am walking, bit stiff, bit achy, but it feels good. You go through all the emotions, sometimes you'll feel like it's all going backwards not forwards but hang on in there.

• Posted

Hi Dawn

I am 7 and a half weeks...... read my blog on bimalleolar ankle fracture.  I have been right where you are. Today I can walk with trainers and no crutches and I am not young 50......Stay strong mental determination every day.  Do read my post.... God Bless x

• Posted

Dawn some days I felt exhausted and when I felt tired I lay down and I slept sometimes twice or 3 times a day half an hour or an hour...If you body needs sleep....sleep and sleeping does help to heal x

• Posted

Hello Everyone, I’m 11 months orif surgery. Broken ankle in 3 places , 7 screws, 2 plates. I’m 48 yrs old and feeling great and back to normal activities. Running 3 miles 3 times a week with any pain at all. This site helped me threw my recovery process and I try to encourage others as well. Keep your head up it get better in time. Push yourself in pt and do your pt at home as well. Tennis balls are good for the bottom of your feet. God bless you 
    • Posted

Well done kenneth, this is so good to hear and so inspiring.

I have plate and four small screws and one large. Started walking in normal shoes yesterday, 5 months post op, and it feels great.

This site is brilliant, sometimes you feel as if you're the only one going through all the emotions but this site brings it all together.

Thankyou.

• Posted

Hi Kenneth

It is great to see you still support people.

I am going to also and this site gave me hope every day .....

something for you one of my blogs I hope will help others for a long time!

CRUTCHES------- OMG.....WHAT AN EXPERIENCE.  LET'S ALL HAVE A LAUGH TO CHEER US UP!

The morning after my surgery, the physio arrives in my room and I have been out of theatre only 15 hours......In she breezes with a serious look on her face....RIGHT THEN LET'S HAVE YOU UP OUT OF THAT BED! Jesus .....helpp me please I am thinking is this women mad?  Then I am given a lifeline....She tells me if I can manage to walk on those crutches right NOW..... I CAN GO HOME!  home.....sweet home...

I somehow tell myself that if I get home all will be much better I love home, I have my own fridge, my won bed.............BUT I HAVE NEVER WALKED ON CRUTCHES IN MY LIFE WITH 2 WORKING ANKLES AND NOW I HAVE ONE IN AGONY SWOLLEN TOES AND A HEAVY POT..........I gaze at those crutches as she lowers my bed and smiles....I WILL WALK ON THOSE CRUTCHES IF IT KILLS ME I TELL MYSELF .....The stamina and the adrenalin kicked in and I make it around the bedroom yes without breaking any more bones...I make it I bludy well make it and back to the bed...where I put on a brave face and say can I go home now.YES YOU CAN! I say to myself YES OHHH YES YES YES I AM GETTING OUT OF ThIS PRISON CAMP HOME BOUND............I get home with my crutches and out of the car I shuffle...THEN I SEE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT ENEMY FACING ME THAT MOUNTAIN I HAVE TO CLIMB OVER??????? THE FRONT DOOR STEP!!!!!! I cant do it mum, I cant go over that step.  I cant and then reality dawns crutches and steps they don't mix!!!  Then I have a brain storm ....get me the kitchen chair bring it to the door and I will flop back on the chair and somehow I managed it...swinging my legs over that Mountain the step...........Inside the house my daughter and my mum would love to tidy up my crutches....propping them up in the corner of the room or putting them in the cupboard.............WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THEM I WONDER......How am I going to get my crutches out the corner of the room or the cupboard...I need them to move an inch............... It took them about 3 weeks to stop tidying my crutches away and realise those crutches were now my spare ankle!!!!!!! People would pop round...crutches oh what fun can I have a go...FUN?  FUN? I can tell you I have had more fun with the tax man or the VAT man than those crutches ever gave me.   The cruthches would carry me to the kitchen and I would go there for coffee...realising on arrival when I got there I could not make coffee as I could not stand without the crutches.............JUST TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME I CARRIED A CUP OF COFFEE WHILST WALKING WITHOUT THEM !  CAFE AU LAIT ! 

• Posted

Love it, your blog. So funny but I can relate to every bit of it. I stayed with my son for 8 weeks then went home and encounterd "the step". I thought this ain't gonna happen but it wasn't going to get the better of me.

Thankyou for making me laugh.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you and it makes me smile too when recalling it!  I learnt very quickly if I did not start laughing at how hideous a broken ankle is and how it will challenge you in ways you never dreamt it would then I would not survive to get the pot off LOL! What about getting up the stairrs to bed its a wonder I have any flesh left on my buttocks........Then my daughter suggested I should come down backwards! Backwards? Oh that will get some speed up and perhaps a broken neck.........anyone who hasnt expereinced the broken ankle just does not get it do they?  Hey we are on the mend...Hell hath no fury like a woman in a pot determined to walk again!  

• Posted

I recall something else you will get too.   Large knock at the door as I have been shopping on line because I can do that quite nicely whilst in pot and why shouldnt I place bids on ebay for some sandals or a bikini summer is here...........mmmh not that I will wear them I guess buy hey biddings fun when you cant bludy move isnt it.  I DID NOT STOP TO THINK I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ANSWER THE DOOR WHEN THEY ARRIVED!   knock knock knock knock.....excited for my parcel I grab the crutches and begin hopping like a pregnant kangaroo to the door.............Man standing at the door says "OUCH WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" as I stand there on one leg with the other leg in pot posing in a pair of loose shorts that normally I would not even let the dog see me in.....but I can get these up and down easy these days and that is a bonus for washing whilst in pot!  So as he gazes at my pot and leg asking again "What have you done again?"  I reply to him ohh I broke my ARM!  So he replies "really"   .................... eeeew that sounds painful !!! parcel given and I shut the door behind me........ I hop back to the couch smiling to myself....well that passed another few minutes of this torture.You can have fun with a broken ankle x

• Posted

Oooh I would get so arsey when someone knocked on door, didn't they know how long it would take me to get there!!! Just getting up from chair was and a mission itself, crutches flying about as if they were possessed!!

If I was expecting a parcel I would virtually sit by front door and wait for it with door unlocked ready.

Makes me realise how far I've come.

• Posted

I never used crutches, just hopped on a good leg with a zinmer frame snd perfected bum/arms down and up the srairs. Whilst I 'invented' various techniques how to do all sorts of things, I had problems at the beginning with negotiating a front door step. I wished I had thought of the above mentioned 'chair trick'. 😉🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.