Broken ankle in 3 places, plate 3 pins one side 2 screws the other

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m week 4 post op and non weight bearing. I use crutches, scooter and wheelchair - but I get tired easily. 

Feeling frustrated and the loss of independence is the hardest. I just want to be able to do one thing without it being a mission. I’m trying to keep positive - getting harder daily

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, how well I understand your frustration, impatience and, no doubt, sometimes despair. 3 and half months ago I had the same fracture as yours, the same operation and my first 5 weeks were total misery. But, then I was walking in the air boot and by mid May I started walking in my own shoes. Walking slowly, my ankle ached but walking! By the end of May I managed to walk 2 miles with stops.

Nine days ago I had surgery to remove 2 large screws. I was able to walk straight away with full weight. It hurts a bit now and I get tired and start limping again but next week the stitches will be removed and I should be able to restart my physio. I used to be a keen walker incl. in the mountains. I am not ready for this and will not be probably for 3 months. Yes, I am impatient and yes I want to go back to work and to be 100% independent again BUT the progress with recovery looking back has been very good, doctors tell me even if in my view it took ages. So to sum up my probably too long missive: you will get better but it just will take time. All the best. Anna

• Posted

Hi Anna

Can I ask why you had the screws removed.  Was it due to discomfort?  How long after injury were they removed?  Where they removed under local anaesthetic?  I would one day like to have my screw and plate removed and understand it is usually around 8 months following surgery and can be done under local anaesthetic.  Congratulations on nearly ending the journey and remember always wear sensible shoes and be careful never to harm the ankle again.  I am going to love my ankles and reframe from this injury again 

• Posted

Hi Anna

That was encouraging- my hubby was home at lunch time today and took me out for lunch in the wheelchair and some fresh air to lift my mood. I will endeavour to listen to my body do as the professionals request and tap into this forum thank you

• Posted

Hi Dawn, when I was in the boot and could not walk much, I had some outings in a wheelchair to pubs, gardens, shops and even to a cinema. Change of scenery and being out of the house definitely help to lift my mood so keep going places. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.