Broken Ankle Sleeping in boot

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hi: I broke my ankle on 11/10, surgery on 11/19, cast off 12/7

I got the knee high boot to wear, I'm still non-weight bearing. He wants me to sleep in it but sleep is impossible. How vitally important is the boot to the bone healing? i wear the boot all day. I go back for x-rays the 21st. thanks!

3 likes, 116 replies

116 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thanks for your reply jannie if feel very useless as i can't do any jobs around the help and have 3 young children i want to help out more but i don't how much i can do without making things worse  for my foot and also i can't rely on my huband he will get sick of me asking for every little thing and i've got to manage when he's not there sometimes.
    • Posted

Oh Hina that's gotta be so hard with three little ones. I know there are limits to asking but you have no choice. Do you have neighbours, friends, family or home support that can help you? In my small town the neighbours are helping me but otherwise I don't know how a person is supposed to do it!  People think it's just put the cast on and go but we know this is not so - I'm  sending speedy healing and hope some help comes to make it possible,

take good care 

• Posted

You poor woman. I was just thinking I'm glad I only have a dog. I don't know how people with small kids cope. I do use my walker on wheels like a knee scooter but it is still tiring. My mother in law walks my dog. I hope you have someone who can step up. Sometimes people don't realize you need help until you ask
    • Posted

Nina, do you have some kind of public heAlth or your Doctior you can tell him you need help. With 3 kids and an over whelmed husband you need to ask for help. We have community services in my town and they set you up with help (free) if you can't afford it.  Keep asking and try and keep calm even though everything seems crazy right now. Your going get thru this!! 
    • Posted

thank you jannie for your advice i have rang social services they have taken a referral from me and they said an occupational therapist will ring me soon. thank you goodness i joined this forum so people who could understand what i am going through can help Hina
    • Posted

So happy to hear this Hina, if they don't call you call them back.....you need to be a bit proactive here. They most likely will assess your situation and recommend more home support given you have 3 children. I wish you well and speedy recovery......
    • Posted

they  haven't phoned back so i'll phone them back first thing tomorrow. i was in a bit of a state when my partner said he's going to his place and said i need my space you'll just have to manage on your own. I know he's only part-time but was scared to stay on my own and the fact that he didn't care enough to stay. hina

• Posted

Yes Hina make sure you follow up.....sometimes things get lost so important you do the calling if you haven't heard from them. Explain your situation with your family and stress you need help. I'm sure they will get some for you. Hang in there,I'm hope things pick up soon for you.....take good care as best you can.....best, Jannie 
  • Posted

To be honest i haven't told anyone yet if it tell my mum  she will only worry and big sister looks after her daily since she is cannot walk very easily i will tell my school friend mums soon. I 'm scared my family will feel obliged to help me and make me feel like it was my own fault just like my husband and lose pateince with me.
    • Posted

Take any help you can, I'm sure you would do it for them if they needed it, like you do right now. This is a time when its okay to ask for help....
    • Posted

I agree with Jannie. People want to help and you need it. You can pay everyone back when you have 2 feet again. Wouldn't you be upset if your sister didn't reach out to you?
  • Posted

I didn't sleep in mine after surgery. The plates and junk held mine together. I had two plates, 9 screws
  • Posted

He did.   He told me I won't hurt it unless I'm walking or putting weight on it. The metal and screws will hold it together. I had my boot off all the time when just sitting around.  
    • Posted

Thanks. I have 1 plate 9 screws. Don't think I can sleep with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.