Broken Ankle Sleeping in boot

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hi: I broke my ankle on 11/10, surgery on 11/19, cast off 12/7

I got the knee high boot to wear, I'm still non-weight bearing. He wants me to sleep in it but sleep is impossible. How vitally important is the boot to the bone healing? i wear the boot all day. I go back for x-rays the 21st. thanks!

3 likes, 116 replies

116 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I did wear my boot though while the incisions were still real fresh.  Felt better protected that way.  
    • Posted

I feel safer with my boot on all day but last night when i tried to go to the bathroom without my boot on my foot felt so different like it had go so used to the boot i couldn't walk on it easily,
  • Posted

I had surgery for fractured fibula, 1 plate 3 screws. I had a plaster splint for 12 days, cut it off in 5. Then I had a fiblerglass splint for 5 weeks, cut it off in 4 days. It was cut in half. I wore the half cast with an ace bandage and took it off at night. I did not bear ANY weight on it. I did not move it or exercise it. My bone healed well. I'm 11 weeks post fracture. I had another xray a few days ago. My bone is healed. I'm walking without the boot. (had the boot for a month, took off to sleep). I would wrap my ankle in an ace bandage at night.  I had cast claustophobia I think. It was giving me anxiety. I thought my doctor was going to yell at me, but because it healed well he didn't say anything. So, not following orders puts you at risk. I'm just telling you my experience. Good luck for a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

It sbounds like your doing well what I like to hear.   I broke my ankle about 9 weeks ago and am in a boot.   I was in a wheelchair for a while.    I am hoping for a better recovery.   I was in the hopital for a week with an infection in the leg.   Now I just want to get better.   Do you know anyone that can make it all better.    lol
  • Posted

This is by any measurement the hardest part of recovery. While I was going through it I thought it would never end. It was so depressing. But it did end. 
    • Posted

thanks, I keep telling myself that and trying to remain positive but it is wearing for sure
    • Posted

Thanks ladies for this inspiration. I'm at the point where I'm not sure if my foot will ever move again, so I'm not focusing on much except getting through each day. I'm starting to gently massage my calf and stroke my foot which seems to be in a paralyzed state. Did you have this?  Much thanks and speedy healing to you all....
    • Posted

Jannie: I think I am a little bit ahead of you in the healing process so even though we are all different, yes I think it gets better. My foot never felt paralyzed but my doc said my break went right back into place very well.

I think in a week or 2 you will see a difference.  Have you found a way to get out a little bit yet? I think depression is common and easy to slip into. I'm back to work every day now but stopped in now and then prior and it was nice just to see other people and not dwell on my leg so much.

I also had my first ever professional massage last week since my entire body ached horribly. She did the lightest massage, upper body only and I cannot believe how much it helped. 

• Posted

That's so good you got a much needed massage, I did too - all those sore muscles.....it felt amazing.... sounds like things  are moving forward and that is good news. I'm in a good frame of mind and receiving loads of help, so that makes a huge difference. I don't know how someone could do this without any support.  I wish you well and thank you for keeping me updated. It's is very encouraging Judi - nave a good day 🎄
    • Posted

hi Jannie i got out the house today to pickup my daughter up from school today. It's the 1st time i walked outside the house since thursday went i got my plaster boot. it felt like a long walk even though the  school's not faraway. one  mum  said hello  but not much else.. sometimes people don't know what to say i suppose .i feel embarrased now like there's sometime wrong with me, Hina
    • Posted

There's nothing wrong with you!  People don't know but if you ask for help they have a purpose, human nature. Old saying.....walk a mile in my shoes.....right now I know all of us would love to be walking again. Hang in there your doing great!!  
    • Posted

thanks jannie your words are a real boost for my confidence. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi. I have been reading the posts to see if there are solutions to problems resulting from my ankle fracture. Smashed my ankle 5 weeks ago (and broke my thumb as well for good measure), 3 surgeries. (2 for the ankle), plate and 7 screws. While I've been "dealing" with the mobility issues withe my knee scooter, the inability to sleep (either due to minimal physical activity or the constant 4-level pain with the ever pleasant shooting pain) is killing me. Again, I've experienced and continue to experience everything in these posts. I'm trying to hang in there with "life," but the sleep thing is putting me over the edge. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me sleep (as I write this at 3:23AM!).
    • Posted

I can only sleep if I take the pain meds every 4 hours I'm taking Norco. Also I gave up trying to sleep with the boot on Its only be 5 days since the surgery and I am worried that I am messing up the healing but the boot presses into the incision point and it excruciating.
    • Posted

Thanks and good luck to you. My problem is non of the pain meds have done anything (even 2+ weeks after my 2nd surgery). I've tried Oxy, Vicodin and now in some nerve specific med (too long to pronounce). The only that's helped so far with the boot pressure on the incision location is a lidocaine patch. Maybe that will help you. Thanks for your insight and again - good luck on your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.