Broken ankle tibia/fibula break

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my ankle February 2 and I feel like I am getting know where with the healing process, I went to the orthopedic and he said that I have a small Calais forming but not much they took my cast off prematurely and I am now in a boot but when I try to put a little pressure it hurts like no tomorrow. How long is the recovery really going to be this is stressful

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I broke mine the same day my cast came off last mon and I'm partial weight bearing with no boot. I swam three times this week which helps. I'm hoping to be off my crutches all together in a couple of weeks.

• Posted

Hi Samantha, sounds like you are making great progress...

I am at the stage where my surgeon and physio want me to ditch the crutches but for some reason I can’t even manage to down to one, any tips you can share or can you update once you are making the transition to walking unaided.

I am so desperate as the Spring is about to arrive and I want to get back into the great outdoors.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post ORIF/trimalleolar fracture and still partial weight bearing. 

How far along are you in your recovery? when did you have your surgery and what exercises have you been doing.  just wondering when i can ditch the crutches. 

my last xray was last week (week 9).  the doctor has ordered me not to go full weight bearing yet until he sees my next xray which he said will be 3 months after my break (broke my ankle january 12).

• Posted

I def find walking in my trainers much easier, I really concentrate on heel toe putting about 50% of my weight through. I was told by physio to exercise my foot every hour. Swimming makes a massive difference, cos I haven't been this weekend it's gone very stiff. Good luck with your progress 

• Posted

Anne, I am 2 weeks ahead of you, I fell on the stairs at home Dec 26th and had an operation the following day to put an external fixation on due to the swelling before having my other operation on New Year’s Eve to put my pins and plates in.

I then had a couple of casts until about week 6 after the operation and I was told by the surgeon I could FWB in the moon boot. I then saw the surgeon a month later who told me to ditch the boot and go in my own sports shoes.

I have begun physio and also undertake home exercises which they have given me to improve ROM and stretch the tendons in my foot. There are loads on various hospital sites or on You Tube.

My big problem is I cannot seem to even begin walking without crutches or a walker, it’s like some kind of mental block!

I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for getting back, yes strangely enough my training shoes feel great probably because they are very light.

I too have exercised quite a bit and I have upped this from today.

Have you found any one exercise more beneficial, I would like to improve the up and down movement in my foot.

I find that standing on my tip toes has helped the ROM in my big toe and is also getting my calf muscle to wake up.

I just wish I could get down to one crutch as that would be fantastic progress, disappointingly I got the walker out earlier to see if I could manage something that resembled walking. I thought I had seen the end of that frame.

I am nearly 54 so I expect my age is affecting my progress too.

• Posted

Thanks Samantha, I have been referred for some hydro therapy by my physio, I also live within a mile of my local pool so will take advantage as soon as I am a bit more mobile.

I have pushed myself yesterday and this morning with my own exercises at home as well as getting the walker out and telling my feet to move 😂😂😂

I am conscious not to overdo it so taking break in between as well as massage.

• Posted

Wow that is wonderful I was told mine did not heal to quick due to my vitamin D being so low but hopefully when I go April 4 this boot will come off. So glad to hear your doing well that's awesome

• Posted

Thanks for replying Kenny. I have been walking in the pool also doing laps and it has helped a lot. I still haven’t been to the Physio doctor told me to wait until I’m fwb so I won’t waste money . (My insurance expired last December and I Didn’t renew 🙈wink

I cannot wait to go FWB already I feel like I’m ready however yes taking that first step without crutches must be scary.  I’m 32 my it’s my birthday in a week and it would be great if I could walk unassisted by then . With my progress I feel like Il still be in crutches 

• Posted

Yes, I am a bit anxious about the first unaided steps and hope my physio concentrates on this with me tomorrow and the next few sessions.

stay strong and you will achieve your goals especially with your birthday coming up 

best, Kenny

• Posted

Hi Destiny this is Beatrice. I'm on day 57 of this journey and it's been a doozy!!! I've had every emotion known to mankind and then some. Some of them all at the same time!! This is extremely stressful so my prayer for you if that you have a solid support system and the friends here who have been through and are going through what you are now. I've been in my boot for six weeks non weight bearing soooooooo..... Praying for good news when I go on the 26. Best wishes to you also.

• Posted

Hi Destiny, I broke mine on Boxing Day and like you I had some issues with the cast but once I got the book and was then able to bathe it and apply E45 the sin was much better, my foot look like a foot again!

In terms of pain, I had little so I was lucky however, the last couple of days I do get some pain in the ankle if I apply a lot of weight, it’s only a 2/3 on the scale but enough for me to ease off.

Are you keeping it elevated and are you managing your swelling with ice?

On a positive and as others have said, it does get better with time but it seems forever when you are in our position.

Are you doing physio?

Stay strong...

• Posted

Thank you yes I am keeping it elevated but I have not started therapy the doctor said I don't need which I think is very odd.

• Posted

Hey Destiny, I would certainly ask you’re doctor about physio, my surgeon had the PT down within 5 minutes of me coming out of my cast. I only attend once per week and they give me exercises to do at home too.

Over the past few days I have really pushed doing other exercises as well to build up my legs in the hope they will become stronger and ease my transition from the crutches.

I have also tried to go down to one crutch however, progress is slow I keep sort of only bringing my good foot up about and inch and then slam it down onto the floor, can’t seem to get a smooth movement just yet but will keep on trying.

Good luck on 4th April, I also see my surgeon on the 5th so will update on this next week.

Stay strong....Kenny

• Posted

Thanks I am definitely going to ask him about physio because I believe I need it and I use a walker due to the fact the crutches gives me bad nerve pain under my left arm but I slowly put pressure on that foot just not too much thanks so much for the advice and motivation. Good luck as well at the doctor's

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.