Broken ankle tibia/fibula break

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my ankle February 2 and I feel like I am getting know where with the healing process, I went to the orthopedic and he said that I have a small Calais forming but not much they took my cast off prematurely and I am now in a boot but when I try to put a little pressure it hurts like no tomorrow. How long is the recovery really going to be this is stressful

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Destiny...I can certainly identify with your feelings and stress. I, too, broke my ankle...fibula and tibia, and I had surgery on January 5 with a plate and screws to get it all back in place. This has been the most difficult thing I’ve ever gone through in my life.  It is almost 3 months now for me, and it is finally getting better but still not easy. I am out of the boot and in a fabric brace now. I can wear a regular shoe, but my foot is still swollen so I had to get a larger shoe than I normally wear. I bought some black Nike’s ...size 8 for my left foot and size 9-1/2 for my right. Doesn’t look too bad. My doctor has just had me start PT, and it is helping a lot, but even that is painful and yesterday I came home almost in tears and had to ice my foot down afterward.  I keep thinking this pain has got to go away, and it is getting better.... but I am still having it every day non stop.  I don’t know how old you are but my age probably isn’t helping me because I am 71. But I’ve always been a very active and young 71, so even that should not be that much of a factor. I’m doing everything I can and walking and exercising daily. I’ve just started driving again. My PT instructor has me walking with a cane and that is helping a lot with my balance right now also. All I can say is hang in there and keep following your doctor ‘s instructions.... this is obviously going to be a long haul and neither one of us can rush it. I actually got a pedicure the other day for the first time in 3 months and it was WONDERFUL because my poor foot was in such horrible condition after being in that cast. So, even little things can brighten the day! Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice I am 39 and I was told my process is longer cause my vitamin D is low so they have me on a high dose of it to push things along.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.