Broken Fibula - cast coming off after 6 weeks - will I have moon boot?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I broke my leg (clean Fibula break a couple of inches above ankle) I have been non weight bearing for 5 weeks I have one more week and then my cast will be off. Is it likely I will have a boot put it on? Do the boots hurt and if you don't have a boot does it hurt when you put weight on it? Has anyone else has similar.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

so sorry about the break ??but you've come to the right club. 😁You will get support. The boot is to support not hurt. It's heavy not the most comfy thing to wear but if it hurts adjust or remove. I could not wear it because I had too much nerve pain. Get yourself an Even Up Shoe to wear on good foot to keep level walking. You don't need secondary injuries to hips knees back from walking bent. The people who sell you the boot should have them but if not amazon or mobility aides. This is a long recovery so amuse your mind. Walk slow and carefully. In 5 1/2 months  am back to work not full yet but enough to wear me out bruising and swelling annoying. Bit painful but now find compression help the pain. Pins and plate hurt when it's too cold and it's still freezing here. The snowfields have even announced they will me opening for an extra month. Ah well at least we have great heating. Good luck  honey and keep posting   All your questions will be answered. Lots of great people on here. United in pain. 

• Posted

Great that's so useful to know thank you. Very concerned as am hoping to go back to work once my cast is off. But I work in a city and it will mean me walking 20 minutes to a tube station and then a 40 minute commute to get to the office so very wary I'm going to be in a lot of pain. Will I be fully weight baring when my boot is on? 

• Posted

Hi Emily,

I'm right behind you in treatment. I am in a cast for two more weeks and then the boot. My orthopedist said at that time I can weight bear 25% the first week in boot, then 50% week two and so on. I'm hoping it will be a lot more comfortable than my cast.

Good luck and keep me posted.

• Posted

I'm casted right now. However it's just a half cast maybe even a little bit smaller actually. So much pain it's unreal. I need some advice on how to make it actually go away somewhat.. I told my story in my other reply so if you read it you'd know I'm out of options and places to turn to for answers. What should I do about the pain and I'm pretty sure the pain should be gone a little I'm worried

• Posted

Thanks for replying good to know someone is in the same boat as me! I've found the cast fine for past few weeks but am now wary of having a boot on and the pain as I've heard it's horrid!

• Posted

I'm currently in the process of healing on day 2 out of surgery on my tib fib, plate and three screws and the pain is unreal. It was so bad I went back to the ER cause I assumed something was wrong. Got there they did the ultrasound and they found no blood clot or anything wrong from what they looked at on the outside. Anyway I left and now I'm home in agony I'm pretty sure they put the half cast on wrong and it's very very painful..... I loosened it up a bit but I have no clue how the thing was in the first place.. my main concern right now is the fact that my foot/shin area is basically numb and my toes keep loosing color..I feel like the pain should have subsided a bit since I took the tramadol. I know tramadol is weak and not for pain really but it should have decreased the pain a little at the least.. what should I do because I ran out of ideas.. I already called my surgeon and went to the ER tonight over this nonsense... Any advice???

• Posted

Hello Emily,

I too fractured my fibula and dislocated my ankle July 13th.  I have had two surgeries so far and two long screws are coming out in two days - not looking forward to that I can tell you.

To date I have had four casts, two open front ones to allow for swelling, a plaster one and a fibreglass one.  I have now been in an air cast for a few weeks now and it is ridiculously heavy.

I have found that the air pockets, when you pump up the boot, put direct pressure on the incisions that are on either side of my ankle, and can be quite painful and uncomfortable.  I am not weight bearing yet.   If you end up with a boot, which I would think you would, get yourself some pieces of foam to pad your ankle, I have found that this is the only way I can wear the boot without too much discomfort.

Best of luck with your recovery, I hope this helps!

• Posted

My boot came with 3 or 4 pieces of foam to stuff in where the boot was rubbing.
    • Posted

Hi I've just come across your reply to a post about life after a cast.I have done exactly what you've done and was told non weight bearing for 8 weeks but they can't fit me in to remove the screws until 4 weeks after so in a cast for 12 weeks.I'm currently in week 6 and really fed up.I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind...1 did they knock you out to remove the screws as I've refused a local anesthetic after watching a YouTube video,2 did you get stinging pains while in a cast around the area of dislocation and finally what protection did you have on your ankle afterwards.I am terrified it hasn't worked as I've had little pain around the ankle up until now and now it feels like it's rubbing against the cast.Many thanks,hope you're soon back to normal,Kirsty.

• Posted

Hi Emily I had a Bimalleolar fracture 7-17-17, Surgery 7-27, Cast on 8-7, Cast off 9-1-17. Doctor said full weigh bearing in boot on 9-1-17 . Felt Tingley and pins and needles when I put my foot down at first. Used a Walker with the boot . In a couple of days could walk FWB in the boot. Heal hurt so I put some gel inserts in it . That helped. My foot heal and ankle are still very sore after walking for a while . I put it up during the day when it feels sore . I take the boot off at night and elevate by the morning it feels okay . I an taking one 325 mg aspirin in the morning and this suppliment called Zyflamend whole body at night. I am also rubbing Magnesium oil on my ankle, foot and heal . This all seems to help . Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Emily,

Welcome to the fraternal club of boot wearers, although none of us are voluntary members. Yes, it is likely you will wear a CAM boot (alias air cast or air boot) until you are ready for regular shoes at full weight bearing.

Your doctor's analysis of ankle x-ray images should be determining factor for how long you need to be in boot and when you advance to partial weight-bearing, then full-weight-bearing. It depends on how well bones are knitting.

When purchasing CAM boots make sure they fit well (not too large or small). I didn't have surgery so I found mine comfortable (and adjusting firmness is easy with air pillow adjustment). Be sure your foot is well seated inside boot (snugly positioned all the way back to heel)-- this is important to comfort and safety of fracture.

When I was just sitting or lying down, I would let a lot of air pressure out for more comfort (or take off boot completely-- but make sure your doctor is okay with this).

They make special super luxuriously thick, ankle-length socks just for CAM boots, and this made a difference in my comfort.

As far as pain when wearing the boot that is a very individual thing. Patients with surgical incisions and scars  might have more challenges. I never found that boot hurt me, but it was heavy and awkward. It had a rocker bottom that theoretically helps propel you forward in your walking gait but I just found that threw me off balance in walking and standing.

Depending on where your fracture(s) is, you may get away with a short top CAM boot instead of a full length one (those go almost up to knee and of course are heavier).

Evenup shoe balancers are highly recommended to level up your overall height when you mix a boot with a regular shoe on good foot.

There are some YouTube videos online that can coach you on how to properly use a CAM boot.

Good luck, and hopefully you will the boot the boot very soon when you are ready for unassisted walking.

• Posted

This is so so helpful! Thanks very much smile 
    • Posted

Did you end up wearing a boot? I am in a similar circumstance and I would like to know if you did
  • Posted

I broke my fibula high in my calf.the Dr.put me in a boot told me to walk on it but its only been 5 days and lots of pain so i walk with crutches. Should i be putting weight on it this early.

• Posted

Absolutely not. No pressure should be put on the fracture. It's only been a few days since the accident? Doesn't make any sense to me. If you want to go back to the doctor and see if you can put pressure on it that would be the best option. Maybe the doctor misspoke, because I can't see a doctor saying to walk on a fracture especially since it's only been a few days since it occurred.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.