Broken Fibula - cast coming off after 6 weeks - will I have moon boot?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I broke my leg (clean Fibula break a couple of inches above ankle) I have been non weight bearing for 5 weeks I have one more week and then my cast will be off. Is it likely I will have a boot put it on? Do the boots hurt and if you don't have a boot does it hurt when you put weight on it? Has anyone else has similar.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi just a question similar to Emily, I broke Tib and fib and dislocated ankle plus snapped a ligament, on the 24th March 2018, just got my cast off last week and am in to a moon boot, I am finding it pretty easy to put weight on and surgeon never said how much weight, just said let pain be the judge, how long before you were walking without the aid of a stick in the moon boot (comes off in 6 weeks so another 5 to go), I am going back to work next week but only 3 days and I sit down but still concerned about pain.

• Posted

Hi Moira,

Just wondering did you have plates fitted? I'm in a cast at the moment. Will find out on Monday if need plates. Am hoping I dont. Just wondering how your recovery is going? Thanks, Diane x

• Posted

Same boat as you except I'm way earlier in the process I had surgery 2 days ago. I got home and tried to relax but couldn't I had to go back to the ER cause I assumed that something was wrong. The pain is excruciating. And relentless. It actually seemed worse after I got out of the ER they did a ultrasound found nothing bad at all no clots. So I got released and figured I was just freaking out. But this pain won't subside and I'm pretty sure the hospital put the half cast on wrong . Tried to loosen it up a bit and I made it hurt worse. I don't know what to do about this... I've done everything I can to make the pain go away. I called the surgeon spoke with him and went to the ER. Still no solution. I'm at a loss. So I'm here at this blog. HELP!

• Posted

Worried something else is wrong. Losing color in toes off and on. Tingling and numbness is absolutely there in full. The feeling is coming from my achilles and moving around the ankle. Strong pain. Relentless can't even get a minute of comfort helppppp

• Posted

Hi Diane,  sorry about delay in reply I am now 4 months on from break, I did have 3 screws and a plate put in, one of the screws was to replace the snapped tendon between the tib and fib the others for the broken bits, I am now doing physio and am walking fairly well though no balance on my right leg and the swelling is still really bad and some pain obviously, they cannot remove the plate or screws. I was 6 weeks in cast, 6 weeks in moon boot and did everything I was told to do, physio said I am doing pretty good at the 4 month mark (am 56 years of age but pretty fit an healthy as I ride horses) I do not take risks but I do exercise and I am back handling and feeding the horses not yet riding, a friend did the same injury as me but 8 months on she is still shuffling but she doesn't do her exercises and I think she wants the money on compo :-)  hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Pat, I do hope they found out what the issue was with your cast my pain wasn't really too bad and I think I had excellent surgeons and those that put the cast on (I had 3 different casts as I had fracture blisters and they could only put a 1/2 cast on for the first couple of weeks to check for infection) keep us updated on how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Moira. I'm glad you are recovering well. I am in a hard cast since Monday and will find out this coming Monday if I need surgery or not. Am so impatient and just want to be 'normal' again. Thanks again and best wishes to you.💕💕💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.