Broken foot 3 months after ORIF for trimalleolar fracture

Posted , 13 users are following.

Ive been following this forum since I had a bad trimalleolar fracture 3 months ago. Simply twisted my ankle walking on wet grass. Crazy so much damage can happen so easily. Had ORIF surgery, cast for 7 weeks and have been in moonboot for 4, gradually increasing WB, but still very slowly, and short periods on crutches. Have been using knee scooter to get around mostly. 

I thought things seemed to be improving...if slowly! And then 2 days ago I fell off my scooter landing on my bad foot, and quite sure first metatasal is broken, as its severely painful. Am waiting for a CT scan appointment to confirm. I wasnt wearing my moonboot...

I just can't believe it. Was just talking about how should be able to walk crutch free in a few weeks! 

I am numb with disbelief, if I need to have a cast again I dont know how I will cope. 

Has anyone else had a new break from falling? Misery loves company :-(

Has anyone insisted on not having a cast, and managed with just moonboot?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh no, that is absolutely awful...so so sorry to hear this.

I will send positive thoughts your way that there is no new break or damage.  

I'm still struggling to be fully weight bearing and I'm finding there is bruising on the inside of my ankle just under the scar.  I think maybe I've done too much and have eased off a bit on the amount of pressure on my foot and see if that helps the cause.  

Hang in there best you can, and let us know how you make out.

Take care,

Deb

• Posted

kbeen,

Fortunately, I have been accident-free since my bimalleolar ankle fracture months ago.

Don't worry too much about any new damage from your recent fall-- an x-ray or other diagnostic tool will remove any doubts that anything untoward happened.

The only reassurance I could give you is that you will put this all behind you, although it takes time.

Your mishap is a lesson to us all that we need to be extra careful in recovery to prevent any other injuries resulting from carelessness or just "carrying on life as if nothing ever happened".

I always recommend that recovered/recovering patients wear strong supportive footwear:   lace-up for sturdiness, normal heels, and orthotic inserts or ankle braces if your injury warrants those,

Flimsy footwear like flats and flip-flops (although comfortable) are tempting fate, in my opinion. Perhaps in many months time, with patience and unceasing strengthening exercises, you could go back to fashion and comfort. But be careful. Once the ankle is injured it is compromised no matter how uneventful the recovery.

Good luck.

• Posted

Totally agree with you. I plan to ask my doctor if an ankle braces or orthotic would be good for me once I start to wean off of the boot. And no more low hiking boots for me... going to invest in a pair with proper ankle support.
  • Posted

Yes. My metatarsal was broken after a lot of recovery from trimalleour shattering.( I had surgery in early January )

Metatarsal injury happened due to vigorous stretching  of my ankle which was so helpful because ankle was so stiff. I had been going regularly and masseuse unfortunately used too much pressure with thumbs on my metarasil- Not mad at masseuse because I kept telling him - the harder you do it the more it helps me.

I feel stupid and set back.

No cast - boot to walk. Or they have a steel plate you can put in bottom of shoe which I use and walking must be limited. So you will probably just need to use your boot. If you can get even up shoe so you don’t get out of alignment..

I’m in 3rd week of new injury-hopefully after another 3 it will be okay and I can go back to PT and do lower body exercise-If not I don’t even want to think about it.

For now my doc said no lower body activity including biking. It’s so hard because I am such an active person. I read on the internet that biking on recumbent bike is okay but he said No.. so I’m not sure if biking is okay...Yes  my ankle is stiff without stretching.

Also anyone at there getting these breaks should get dexus scan. I did. Bones are fine just dumb.

• Posted

Hi Kbeen, I am very sorry for what you are going through.

I broke my ankle in 2 places about 3 months ago and was in a cast for 8 weeks. I too was coming along slowly but surely, then I landed hard on my injured foot walking down some stairs. This caused a lot of pain and some sleepless nights. I thought maybe I had rebroken something.

My physiotherapist told me not to  worry about it but I still am concerned.

Also, I will be getting an X-ray next Tuesday and this is making me feel nervous, like you probably are with your future CT scan. I hope both you and I will get good results!

I don't like the idea of having to be recast either! 

Anyhow, my thoughts are with you Kbeen. I hope it all works out for the better!

• Posted

This hasn't happened to me, but I must admit it is my worst fear. I am pretty careful about always wearing my aircast when I am up and about. I think it will be scary when I am starting to wean off of it. I hope you get good news when you get your CT scan.

• Posted

it isn't strange. during time on crutches your bones lost some density so they were more fragile.

my story:

1) i flew downstairs and dislocated my foot, bad pains but no fractures on x-rays so back home with crutches.

2) days later i fell from crutches on bad leg and the foot dislocated again, pains were unbelivable, the scan shows a quite good fracture.

3) plaster is removed but i need ligament surgery so back on crutches and walker the bones are now weak

4) start putting pressure on the leg but the bones are really weak so i end up with stress fractures....

• Posted

Bummer, I will go to partial WB in 2 days while wearing the boot..plan on not overdoing it and using a rollator at first.
  • Posted

Yes, the doctor at the Emergency room said the xray showed my foot bones are very thin at the moment, so more susceptible to breaking, a fall like this wouldn't normally result in a fracture. Still waiting for CT scan after 4 days

• Posted

Hi kbeen 

I hope you are now much better and feeling stronger, I have a couple of questions if you don’t mind?! 

I had a trimalleolar fracture with ORIF 8 weeks ago (rolled my ankle over on a hearth🙄wink and am due to have cast removed tomorrow with a walking boot fitted, keeping everything crossed as I’m still in some pain after slipping a couple of times during the bad weather and landing on bad foot! How did you find the recovery with the boot and how long did you have it for? Are you back driving?! Sorry for all the questions, it’s nice to ask someone who has been through the same thing but is ahead of me! Thanks for your time, take care .

• Posted

Hi Kerrie ,

I had a trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle 8 weeks ago. I had surgery the next day and was in a backslab cast for two weeks before having the cast off and my stitches out. I was then fitted with a walking boot but still non weight bearing til a week ago (5 weeks of wearing the moon boot most of the day and at night) at the 7 week post op appointment x rays showed the bones have healed well. I am now able to sleep without the moon boot and also to drive. Freedom!! I returned to my office job after 3 weeks as I have a desk job but did two days from work and two days from home for four weeks.

I started PT last week doing alphabet writing, shifting balance between my feet, walking with a walking frame ( felt too unsafe on crutches) and standing from sitting. Today I was able to stand in my bare feet. Felt so good. But after celebrating that I had a slight fall today when the frame tipped and put my injured ankle down to save myself. It has been twingeing all evening. Hoping I haven’t done any damage. I have come so far and don’t need a setback. Have an appointment with the physio tomorrow so will have him check it out. This is a long haul recovery - that’s for sure. My doctor wants me walking in unaided in normal shoes at my next appointment which will be 11 weeks since my accident. 

• Posted

Hi Helen Thanks so much for your reply! I'm sorry not to have responded sooner, I hope you're ok after the fall- I think that's what worries me the most! I'm sure the twinges was everything coming back to life! I'm wearing the boot which has made life so much easier during the day, I'm walking without crutches around the office but not taking it off until bedtime as it makes me feel much more secure, I'm still sing 2 crutches when boot is off. 

Do you find your foot is still very swollen at night? I can't imagine getting back into normal shoes for a while yet! I had no idea these ankle breaks take so long to recover from... 

I hope everything went well with the physio- I haven't started any yet, I'm hoping to strengthen things up so my bad ankle feels less like jelly and more part of my leg again!

Thanks again and best of luck x

• Posted

All was good Kerrie. The physio was not too concerned at all about me injuring it as the bones have healed prior to this "accident", so we just moved on. I think we worry so much about injuring it again don't we!

I have been coming ahead in leaps and bounds in the past two weeks since starting physio. Week 2 I started wearing two running shoes for the morning and then putting on the moon boot at lunch time as my injured foot would get very swollen in those few hours, it was almost a relief to put it on. When I came home I would elevate and ice it.  

Lover the weekend I am am now walking in two running shoes all the time and am just using a cane for support. The moon boot and walking frame have gone.  I will debut my new mobility at work tomorrow ! 

Yes to swelling !  Quite uncomfortable at times by the end of the day. But that's all part of the healing process. I can't imagine wearing normal shoes yet either!! xx

• Posted

Over the weekend not lover... I should proof read before posting!! wink
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks post fracture with dislocation. Got the go ahead to weightbear yesterday. I was in a cast for the first 7 days, couldn't handle it so went in and they took it off. Have been in a boot since with no weightbearing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.