Broken foot 3 months after ORIF for trimalleolar fracture

Posted , 13 users are following.

Ive been following this forum since I had a bad trimalleolar fracture 3 months ago. Simply twisted my ankle walking on wet grass. Crazy so much damage can happen so easily. Had ORIF surgery, cast for 7 weeks and have been in moonboot for 4, gradually increasing WB, but still very slowly, and short periods on crutches. Have been using knee scooter to get around mostly. 

I thought things seemed to be improving...if slowly! And then 2 days ago I fell off my scooter landing on my bad foot, and quite sure first metatasal is broken, as its severely painful. Am waiting for a CT scan appointment to confirm. I wasnt wearing my moonboot...

I just can't believe it. Was just talking about how should be able to walk crutch free in a few weeks! 

I am numb with disbelief, if I need to have a cast again I dont know how I will cope. 

Has anyone else had a new break from falling? Misery loves company :-(

Has anyone insisted on not having a cast, and managed with just moonboot?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

so sorry to hear that u got hurt again. I had a trimalliolar fracture 6 weeks ago. still in a cast. I broke it by just slipping on a wooden step which was wet. Hopefully, will be able to walk in a 6 more weeks. Its been emotionally very hard. totally disabling injury. can not use knee scooter as I have a total knee done 9 months ago. and can not put full body weight on that knee or bend it completely to work the scooter.

• Posted

sorry to hear this. I haven't had the best support at all. I had just enough to get through at 1st. I've been swinging it since my surgery 5 weeks ago. Boy how ppl change when ur the hurt one. No empathy whatsoever.

• Posted

OMG! You are living my nightmare! How are you doing now? I'm 5 weeks 2 days postoperative. I had a trimoellar fracture in my right ankle. Unbelievable the damage a slip can do! My leg and ankle swelled up so bad the first night, I literally felt my skin tearing, causing "fracture blisters." I had to wait, get a external fixator screwed into my shin bone and rods through my heal and ankle for 2.5 weeks before ORIF surgery. 2 surgeries and removal of fixator, oh! let's not forget my foot was dislocated too, so they put me to sleep to relocate it. I feared falling again and I did! I slipped on my crutches, which I could barely use, but my porch was wet from rain. My drs gave me 5mg of pain rx throughout this journey and it didn't help. I'm praying to get out of cast. My ankle feels strong. I am curious to know if you got a cast and how you're coping. my mental health is ok despite everything. I have to work though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.