Broken My Ankle

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All. I broke my ankle in 3 places last week and the reality of what lies ahead is setting in. I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice or tips that you have picked up after suffering a similar injury. I am especially struggling to get around at the moment as I have not got the hang of using crutches.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I used a knee scooter. It was a godsend.
    • Posted

I'm in the US, in Atlanta and here you can. My dr set me up with the company and they delivered. It was $60 for a month here. They also sell them new and used on Amazon.

• Posted

I'm in the UK, but I will have a look on line.

• Posted

11 years ago I broke my ankle in 2 places plus the tibia in the knee on my other leg. I made it, wheel chair , walker. Fast track to April 2016 had a ankle replacement on the ankle I broke. We r in the middle of doing a major remodeling on our home and we had moved into a apartment with 16 steps.

In a cast for 5 weeks and boot for about 5 I used a walker to get around just hopping on 1 foot but it helped me to get in and out of shower and stand in the kitchen to lean against the counter, get up out of a chair etc. Even when I went to boot the walker was very helpful I never fell or had any problems.

I never considered a scooter or whatever it's called walker was just very helpful even getting in and out of car.

Walking now doing extremely well I feel weather has always played a roll even back to when I broke my ankle but it is all good.

Take it slow and easy keep a good mind frame and you will be fine. Thinking of u.

• Posted

Oh thankyou Kathy. Its good to hear about everyones experience. I've been abit down in the dumps about it all, but its just something that I have to deal with. Its good to have the support of others who understand.

• Posted

The discussions in this group "ankle problems" are the best - frequent, thoughtful, timely -  I guess we dont have much else going on. So thanks for being there.  I bought forearm crutches from amazon. I borrowed a knee walker from my neighbor, but have not used yet. I try to sit in the sun at least once per day, let my family brings groceries from list I make. I eat  lots of red meat, liver, fluids, extra vitamin D. I live in Chicago and many of us lack vitamin D.  I understand that the bone starts to recover once swelling is down so rest,  immobolize, cold, elevate.  Socialize as much as possible and let friends and/or family help.

• Posted

Thankyou. I appreciate your encouragement and kind words. How long ago did you break yours if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I broke and dislocated my ankle 18 weeks ago. I was non weight bearing for 10 weeks. Once I started there was swelling and aching when my leg was down. Once I started PT real improvement started. I can now walk and do stairs normally. Still have some swelling as the day goes on. RICE and dedication to PT are critical. It is a long difficult journey emotionally and physically. My best to you on your recovery. You will get there!
    • Posted

Hey there Luke! Have not written in awhile. I kind of feel like a poser here. I have a stress fracture w/ potential for surgery if I don't take care. My injury troubles started in early June, diagnosis on July 6, then crutches, camboot, non-weight bearing. So now for 5 weeks have been quite limited. How's it going with you?

• Posted

I'm not really supposed to use the camboot. 

• Posted

Hi Julie. Got my stitches out today and got a proper cast. It still feels a little odd at the moment.

• Posted

Well, it's progress! So just crutches and non weight bearing? 

• Posted

Yeah just crutches and non weight bearing. Still getting used to it all!

• Posted

Well, same here. I'm going to have to get more reading material for sure.  

• Posted

Yeah for sure. How did you break yours?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.