Broken stem

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm 46 years old and need a third hip replacement due to prednisone use for chemo when I was 21. I have had 3 surgeries postponed due to weird blood tests but finally discovered it's because I had my spleen removed. I found out today that my stem fractured, probably at least a week ago, but my new surgery, just scheduled today, won't be until next Monday. It's quite painful and I've been on Vicodin for close to a week. My family is upset, worried that this could be dangerous. Am l OK waiting a week? Not sure I have any choice. Thank you for any help.

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Candice - sending you so much love - you have been through so much....and come through it all. On the plus side it sounds like you have so much support and love around you, which will help you to recover properly, and secondly you know what to expect this time, and are clearly very strong.

You can do this, and in a week or so you will with the grace of god be all fixed and thinking about going home. I felt nothing but panic before my THP and didn't have your complications - but I look back now and wonder why I was so worried - the surgeons know what they are doing and will take immense care of you.

Stay in touch and tell us how you are, the whole forum will be behind you - remember to come back on here for support and guidance we are all here for each other...any time day or night, there is always someone here - big hugs and good luck.

PS If my hip lasts 18 years I will be delighted smile 

• Posted

Feeling any better today Candice? I just wanted to check on you confused

• Posted

Yes, taking it very easy, thank you. I wish I had found your forum earlier. The support you all offer is amazing.
  • Posted

Morning Candice, not long now and it will be done and dusted, I asked my physio about stem fracture after HR and she said its actually commoner than people realise, some get away with just conservative treatments and others like you need more, did you overdo it when you first had it done??
    • Posted

No, but it's been over 18 years since my last one. This new one should last even longer, I'm told. It seems things have changed a lot!

• Posted

Does seem that way, they give up to 25 years now, you have done really well haven't you, is it the 18 year one that's fractured?

• Posted

Yes, and I'm hoping my recovery will go as well as my first, if slower. They cemented the component in so that will have to be removed . Thanks for the support!

• Posted

Your very welcome, that does explain why its happened cause it has been in well over what they would have expected at the time, so I'm impressed, my mother in law will be well over a hundred when she needs new one LOL

• Posted

No of course I'm not, but it all depends on not just the prosthesis but other factor as well, like the age you had it fitted, if you were very active ie jogging, whether you are having problems with it, is it causing you any pain, if not then it will probably see you good for as long as you need it, chemo and steroids weaken bone structure and it can take a few years for them to become strong again, Candice has done amazingly well and her new one will last like many now being fitted 25 years + most people who have hip replacement are older and should not have to worry about having more than one.

• Posted

I've been working on the premise that my replacement now at 59, if it fails in possibly 15 - 20 years if ever, I think I might have more to worry about than that! Neither of my parents made it to that age - although I'm not being depressed about it. They were working class and people with hard lives tend to have shorter life spans - it's just statistics. So the odds are that I will outlive them both. But who knows where or what I will be at 75 - 80? I worry about that in 2036! Gosh, when I typed that it felt like a sci-fi movie date! "Another galaxy, far far away in 2036..." Yikes!

• Posted

I know what you mean! Doing the math seems amazing. I was somewhat active but I'm also overweight. I will be changing that for sure. Definitely an incentive for healthy eating.

• Posted

That's great, if something helps us to reappraise our lives and do something that will extend and enhance it then its got to be good.

Keep that in mind while your recovering but don't go to extreme diet wise while bones heal, I was on about 1200 calories a day when I first became immobile and eventually I upped it considerably to keep my weight up as repairing bones use lots of energy, back to normal now and have to be careful cause weights gone up a bit

• Posted

Even my physiotherapist was surprised when I told her but I researched it so know its true, it needs plenty of calcium and vitamin d as well, you can get adcal-3 on script so ask your consultant
    • Posted

Yes. I also have vitamin d supplementation because it's winter and no sun, and food alone doesn't really provide it. 

The amount of energy required to heal is enormous - similar to those bottomless pits called children, who are growing and use more energy to do that than most adults need! I even found myself buying a box of chocolate I am so into snacking - and I don't like chocolate! But I just craved the energy! Probably because I eat very little sugar - I don't like sweet things usually and I don't take it in drinks either.

I'm quite fortunate because I am told that my bone density is astonishingly good for someone my age, so that means that I grow bone really well- but the cost is that I'm hungry more! On that note, I just remembered I have some packets of plantain crisps... And they are calling to me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.