Broken up stools and incomplete BM's

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been having this problem for a while now. When I have a BM, my stools are often broken into many pieces. I can't remember the last time I had a well formed "log". After I'm done it often feels like there's still some left inside my anus. Soon after eating I get discomfort, not pain, in my lower/middle intestinal area and flatulance/belching. It's enough to make me restless or irritable. It's like a slight urge to have a BM after every meal. Anyone experience these symptoms? Can someone recommend something that will help get me regular again?

1 like, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I get incomplete bowel movements, constipation and mild to occasional bad flare ups. I have had loose stools, back pain, sore legs and nausea.
    • Posted

Finally somebody who gets leg pain as well. I get it from time to time roughly 2 days a week or so. Starts in back of thigh and sometimes goes down to my heel. Back and neck ache is so common that I've just gotten used to it.

• Posted

Sometimes for some reason you can get joint pain with IBS.  I have bad joints anyway with a sedentary lifestyle, living in damp climates and old injuries.  Sometimes my joints hurt even when I do lots of exercise, and when I am in Italy.  So I suspect IBS may be playing a part in these occasions.
  • Posted

If you are having a change in your bowel movements I think it would be a good idea to go to a doctor. We are not medical people here and would not want to give you wrong advice.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I had an ultrasound, stools samples taken, a urine sample and a celiac test. All were negative and IBS was diagnosed.  It took me three and a half months and eight doctors to get answers.

Ask your doctor about IBS, sometimes it can be identified from your symptoms alone. If they don't know, they will do tests to rule out other conditions. 

• Posted

I too have had this problem. For me it's because l don't drink enough. What I do is to increase my fluids and take one sachet of Movicol. It's an osmotic laxative so puts fluid in your bowel. Takes a couple of days to work.. Might be worth a try.
  • Posted

Hey I have a pretty similar problem to yours. I sit on the toilet for ours going waiting for my bowel movement to be properly finished. I've tried everything from eating different amounts of fibre to taking IBS tablets, I've tried laxatives and even probiotics and all of them have either not worked or made it worse, I'm going to see a doctor at the hospital tomorrow so I'm hopefully going to get some kind of help. If I find out anything useful I will let you know!
    • Posted

Great let us know how your visit to the doctor goes! hopefully he can shed some light on the problem you're having. I plan to go to the doctor again soon too, hopefully he will actually suggest getting some tests this time.
    • Posted

Hi there im sorry I can't help. The doctor was completely useless, he dismissed most of what I said and told me he couldn't do anything because it is a psychological problem. What?? I'm really annoyed by this because now I'm still stuck and don't know how to solve my problem. If I discover anything I will let you know!
    • Posted

I would suggest changing your doctor.  There is no point going to someone who dismisses your health problems,
    • Posted

If in the UK most surgeries work on rotation so statistically unlikely to get an appointment with the same doc twice in a row.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that sad I went to see two doctors and they didn't help either. Like I said though, I plan to see a doctor again soon. I'm going to suggest I want some tests done this time because I've been having this problem for years and I'm over it.
    • Posted

I go to a walk in clinic in the UK where you can ask for a specific doctor if you are registered.  I did manage to see the same doctor a few times in a row but I got no help. So I decided to see different practitioners in the same surgery to get answers.
    • Posted

Nearest walk in clinic to me is 17 miles so I just jog to my local surgery which is less than 2 miles away. I rotate too.
    • Posted

Do you think it's worth paying to visit a private doctor to see if they will help because I was considering doing that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.