bronchiectasis

Posted , 11 users are following.

does anyone on here still smoke who has bronchiectasis or have they ever smoked i would be interested to know

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was a heavy smoker from about age 16 til I was in my 30's. I started to stop smoking after my diagnosis for bronchiectasis in my early 30s.. I'm in my 60s. I had a scan a couple of years ago and was told that I also have emphasema, so smoking exacerbated the lung damage I suffered as a child. Surely it's a 'no-brainer' that people with chest diseases should not smoke. I know it's not easy giving up though, and it took me several years.

John 

• Posted

Thanks for that john and yes your right it is a no brainer. And im puting myslefe throw hell every day saying cut it out iv been trying for last year .with all difference waYs patches tablet electronic cigarette cutting the amount i smoke down to a quarter but it's not enough i know i have to stop completely the after 45 years it's so hard and i feel guilty every day
    • Posted

You'll feel so much better once you've stopped, and it must be easier now with smoking bans in public, and patches etc. Perhaps you could build in some incentives for yoursel. I don't know how far you can walk, but I still regularly ride my bike and play tennis. I really enjoy both, so giving up smoking was a great incentive for me to be able to carry on being active. Could you set yourself an excercise challenge - say a little longer walk each day? And while you're out and about you maybe won't be so tempted to light-up.
    • Posted

Chating with you iv just put a Pacth on i know i cant go on like this. I do go out a lot for walks i dont take cigg out with me no more its more when im siting at home on my own i seem to want one all the time. Its not that i evan enjoy them its the terrible habit i have i have only been diagnosed with bronchiectasis to say since last november i've been in hospital in november with pneumoniacame back home in december and i've already had antibiotics as i can't get Rid of properly Of it .im 62 and look after my 3 year old granson when im well .i think i need a big Scare that why i did ask on hear i knew really what any one who got back to me would say like you but i guess i just needed to hear it and hopefully one of these Times it will kick in my stupid head So thank you for geting back to me xx
  • Posted

Hi,

I would hope not! I was told many years ago that smoking would be foolish for any patient with bronchiectasis & would reduce your llife expectancy drastically. Do you smoke?

• Posted

Yes i am trying so hard to stop but after 40 years its not easy
    • Posted

We all know our own limits so no judgement. Perhaps your bronchiectasis is not as severe as some since it's been 40 years. Had I smoked, I would have been dead by age 40.

You must be doing something right after 40 years! My father smoked & found it hard to quit & then he died of emphazema. Something will kill each of us so might as well find what you enjoy the most.

I drink instead smile

• Posted

Hi jojo, I dont smoke but I do wonder if when I was younger I was in London during heavy smog it was so bad you couldhardly see in front of you, buses had to stop, most people covered their mouths soas not to inhale. Doctors tll me it was probabely caused by an infection that never cleared up when I was  a child but I wonder.
  • Posted

hi Jojo40... wow... you sound exacty like me! I was too embarrassed to ever say I smoked on here! I have had pneumonia 3 times in the last 3 years and I'm just getting over another chest infection.  I am smoking 42 years..... I am 55, and it's so difficult to quit! I have 2 E cigs and I am now on Champix Tabs. I am hoping I can quit with these. Good luck with giving up, and let us know how you get on. I will too. My kids and family are always on my back over smoking, but I don't think they realise how hard it is to give up. Keep strong. xx 
    • Posted

Hi angel. How long have you had bornchiectass for. I have tryed e cigg s but no good and iv been on cimpix to but made me ill so had to stop my friend took them and she as not smoked for a year now so i hope they work for you let me know.
  • Posted

hi Jojo40, I have this a long time I also have Asthma but really got worse and bad just over 3 years ago when I got my first bout of pneumonia. It seems there's no stopping this now. I just keep getting chest infections, but I have started Manuka honey and I really think this has helped keeping it at bay. And I take vitamin C. My friend gave up at 65 after taking the Champix. Ive only just started them again... and yeah I felt sick yesterday. I'll keep taking it though and let you know. smile
  • Posted

I used to smoke 25 years ago. I have always worked with peopel with mental health problems. I worked in a home with 3 guys who smoked 20 cigarettes each a day and we only had one living room. I continuall asked for a conservatory to be added to the back as a smoke free room, but was told they couldnt afford it! I passively smoked 60 cigarettes a day for 3 years!
  • Posted

I have had bronchiectasis since childhood affecting one lobe upper left I believe. I worked for 45 years as a nurse and started smoking at 18 years old. I gave up probably 18 years ago.It was hard because lots of nurses smoked and GPs and surgeons . I tried several times and was secretly smoking away from the house.Eventually I found for me that the best way was to cut out completly avoid areas where people smoke(easier nowadays) and just do the cold turkey.I read somewhere that cigarettes and nictine is more addictive than canabis or cocaine. I am sure someone with more knowledge will dispute that. Lots of things are addictive and difficult to give up , chocklate, coffee, tea ,sugar,alcohol are all very hard to go without for any length of time. I never used any other aids, patches etc. I have amoxicillin for emergency, but only used less than 1 yearly , take the flu jab . I did have an episode x 2 of haemoptosis which was really frightening but the last time was 20 years ago but I live in fear sometimes.Still that is why I have a course of antibiotics because a neglected infection can cause a bleed. Try hard to give up the fags but take one day at a time and sink the extra money into something else. Good luck keep well!
  • Posted

I was a heavy smoker and i was able to just stop, i think it was fright as had a small patch of cancer on my lung,I have had severel scans all come back different last one was nothing there, I have been diagnosed with bronchiectasis recently, my breathing and amount of phlem is chocking me, I have just finished two week course of antibiotics with no results. I have been trying to get a drs appt but not till 23 july, its disgusting this diagnosis is new to me and i dont know much about it.
  • Posted

I was a light smoker for years.  I really enjoyed it. I quit 8 years ago and am so happy that I did.  It's so hard to quit, I never thought I'd be able to do it , and if I can do it, you can too!
    • Posted

i quit smoking 15yrs ago after being diagnosed with a patch of cancer on my left lung i ran out of fags on my way home running late on xmas eve and didnt have time to stop and that was it/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.