Bronchiectasis

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hey..I have bronchiectasis and live in the UK..is there anyone else on here who lives in UK as I have never spoke to anyone about it before..

3 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi 

I was diagnosed as “mild” just before Christmas following a dry cough for 8 months.

I am quite new here so you will get more information and questions answered by others.

But if I can help at all , I will.... just post.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

I’m in the Uk Warwickshire, had BX now for about 5 years.

It’s rubbish I won’t lie... the fatigue from my point of view is by far the worst because I’m often dragging myself around, but the coughing when it starts causes all sorts of issues in its self, I’m at the moment recovering from a chest infection that I had over Christmas and new year which has resulted in me displacing a rib which had caused me awful problems with pain in my neck shoulder and arm!!

Take each day as it comes is my motto 😁

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi

I was born and grew up in Warwickshire. If u read my other post in the discussion it gives u a bit more of my history with bronchiectasis. It's so frustrating that for the most time I don't know I have the disease and can lead a normal active life...work..travel..run etc and then I end up in hospital on IV antibiotics and now very breathless..hoping to get back to normal before long.

• Posted

Hi julesb47

After a spell in hospital with chest infection and partially collapsed lung. Ive had 5 chest infections since October and had 5 different types of antibiotics and was getting nowhere and after numerous trips to my doctor and after loosing 6 stone i asked for to be seen properly. So only last week i seen the chest consultant and he thinks i have bronchiectasis. I have constant cough bringing up lots of phlegm chest pain just feeling horrible and so out of breath. Ive to go for a ct scan to confirm. I come across this site and was looking for any info on this condition.  Im just do tired is it going to be like this all the time im half way through another 2 week course of antibiotics andbdont seem to be getting any better.  So any info on this condition would be greatly appreciated.  

• Posted

Hi Sally it sounds like it is, if you Google breathing exercises for Bronchiectasis there is some very good ones will help bring stuff up. I still do them.

Take care Pam

• Posted

Hello

just joined the group today , came home from hospital 2 days ago after a 2wk admission on IV antibiotics

a CT scan has shown mild onset bx lord if this is mild :-(

Had an undiagnosed productive cough for a little over 2yrs , it's miserable isn't it, coughing is exhausting,

it makes my head thump, ears hurt, and a whole other myriad of symptoms

Oh and I'm in Southampton (hampshire uk) 

• Posted

Hi Pam thanks for the info. When at hospital to see consultant I was shown some breathing exercises which do help   But I will also google. After finishing last course of antibiotics I had to go back to hospital and yes another chest infection and more antibiotics I think it not so much another chest infection I think it maybe just that the antibiotics aren’t clearing the  original infection. I could be wrong as I’m new to this diagnosis. Thanks again Pam. It’s good to know what other folk are dealing with and what helps them. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Sally

I am in a similar situation the infection is just not clearing , I'm waiting for gp to call as I'm not right

I came out of hospital last week but don't feel right at all...I struggle with the breathing exercises that respiratory physio showed me , today I am depressed tearful and very down ....I'm newly diagnosed too

• Posted

Hi Pam. When I spoke to consultant I was shown some breathing exercises. Sometimes they help other times they don’t. I’m not only dealing with this problem I’ve also got problem with my gallbladder. I’ve had another 2 chest infections since last post. I’ve also lost 6 and  a half stone which been told today they think it’s due to the bx. Has anyone else lost lots  of weight. I feel as if I’m getting sent for all these tests but not getting any answers. Starting to feel really down about it all. Thanks for your info Pam. 
    • Posted

hi thanks for your reply. Im seeing my doctor again next Friday although I’m going to phone in morning to see if I can be seen quicker as I’m not getting better and feeling really down about it all. Hope your feeling better and got on top of the infection. It’s hard. 
  • Posted

I'm in the UK too Sarah...

I was diagnosed last year and have learned a lot on here from others experiences. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah   I dont live in the UK  but Dublin Ireland   Which isnt to far   

l

I have Bx the last 8 years   i am 59   and take various meds  Singulair tab  seretide inhaler  every day    I  also take azithromycin 25o mg  antibiotic  every mon wed & fri  and my chest doc says i will be on for life 

I work as well and try not to get infections,  which is hard to do        I know quite an amount about this problem 

so feel free to ask me 

Cheers Rob

• Posted

Hello Rob

I'm newly diagnosed after a 2wk stay in hospital on IV antibiotics 

I was given Azithromycin last March (2017) and ended up in ICU

after experiencing an allergic reaction to it...(Steven-Johnsons Syndrome)

a rare complication to that antibiotic , look it up it may help should you 

experience any funny symptoms while taking it 

• Posted

Sarah, I too live in the UK and have had bronchiectasis for many years. I have devised my own successful treatment regime which is to inhale an unusual essential oil (added to near boiling water) daily, together with my own exercises in the gym and swimming pool. Whenever possible I use a sauna and add olbas oil. I didn't find antibiotics much good; physio exercises from my local hospital department very elementary and difficult to follow regularly.

• Posted

Sara, sorry to hear that you are suffering like me with Br. I inhale an essential oil daily and do my own exercises in the gym and swimming pool. I also use a sauna whenever possible. My own treatment is much better than antibiotics and hospital physio exercises. I have had Br. for many years now.

I am in the UK like you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.