Bronchiectasis

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hey..I have bronchiectasis and live in the UK..is there anyone else on here who lives in UK as I have never spoke to anyone about it before..

3 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I am exactly like you. I was born with bronchiectasis 56 years ago and have NEVER met anyone with this in all these years.

Where in the UK are you ?

I have just joined the group and posted a message asking the same ?

• Posted

Hello 

just joined this group , I live in the UK (Southampton Hampshire)

was hoping to find a local support group but unsuccessful currently

I finally recieved a diagnosis after a 2wk hospital stay on antibiotics

I came home 2 days ago

The CT scan should early onset bronchiectasis after having a cough 

for nearly 2yrs , it's been miserable , exhausting , painful and a 

productive cough daily 

• Posted

Hi Margiesgirl,

I'm the other end of the south coast in East Sussex...Hastings.

Have you tried to find a Breathe Easy group in your area...? They are run by volunteers and my local one is very friendly and welcoming. 

I have gained a lot of useful information from this group...

Hope you feel more stable soon...I had a bad flare up for 3 months Oct - Jan. I know how debilitating it all is and feels.  

Janet 

• Posted

Hi

Janet and hello

I will look up Breath Easy - thank you :-) 

best wishes 

Sharn

• Posted

Hello

I live in Southampton (Hampshire) newly diagnosed after a 2wk admission to hospital 

CT scan showed mild bronchiectasis lord if this is only classed as mild I have huge 

sympathy for those with the more advanced :-( 

I have had a cough for a little over 2yrs and it has been quite the rollacoaster getting

the final diagnosis ...been so poorly with it all , exhausted , chest pain and a productive

cough

Where abouts are you in the UK?

• Posted

Dear All,

The jis a new drug now being used in the UK.

my Dr is now giving me:

carbocisteine

i have been been much better using this drug.

6 x tabs a day.

-------

• Posted

Hi Ron, Glad i read your post. I have been on Carbocisteine for many years and find it does help.

Just received a letter yesterday from my GP surgery saying they are being stopped. I thought maybe the pharmaceutical company has stopped manufacturing them.

That's another trip to the surgery to find out the reason. I have severe bronchiectasis in both lungs and don't understand this. Think I'm costing my surgery too much with all the meds I need to take 🤔 . They even tried to change my symbicort inhaler, but a nurse in the practice told me (on the quiet) they were trying to get me on a cheaper brand and to stand my ground So beware everyone, its shocking !

• Posted

They've recently changed my inhaler from seretide to something cheaper. Was very unsure but actually it's more effective. It's called Fostair. I was surprised because I am a tricky customer and allergic to lots of meds. This has worked well.

• Posted

One of the inhalers I use is Fostair.

it is very effective. I use it everyday.

• Posted

Yes I use Fostair too.

I used to be on seritide but asked to be changed because it was a powder type and it was making my throat bad. A few years ago I was told it cost £36, GP wasn't happy about it then but I stood my ground. 

• Posted

I'm still struggling with replying to everyone on here ha.

Hey- that's great if it is working well for you, we all know our own body don't we?. I wasn't having any problems with symbicort , nurse said she thought I would be better sticking it xx

• Posted

It's the flare ups that are hard for me to cope with. Inhalers seem to have nil effect and then it's the cycle antibiotics and steroids

Roll on better weather....

• Posted

Oh....i only need inhalers for my Asthma which i can control.

As you say it's coping with the never ending flare ups and infections...

Yeah- cant wait for the better weather Janet ? xx

• Posted

Hi, Your comment about feeling as if one is two different people is something that chimes with me. I really do forget.....then WALLOP!

my only advice is to join al forums going and log in, even when we are well. Then that support system is in place for when we Really Do Need that tic, that sadly is vital to get us back on our feet.

I've had to stop running, but lots of people manage quite severe bronchiectasis ...and running. Pick their brains!

Hope this helps

• Posted

Great post!! I have had BX all my life so know no other but even I "forget" sometimes and can't understand why I am so tired or something .. Funny old complaint! Just keep pushing it to the limit but know when to rest... I am still learning, aged 70.

• Posted

Morning everyone!

I so agree...when I'm well (well more or less!) I'm on top of the world but when I go downhill so quickly it's like I'll never be well again. So yes...we have to make the most of those times. 

I've had a poorly chest probably since the age of 4 with whooping cough so coped with things throughout my life...but this latest Bx hit me pretty hard...the word 'progressive' frightens me!! cry 

• Posted

Every case is different. Some progress very slowly! I went through a bad patch in my 30s but my condition has been stable for years. Don't trouble trouble until it troubles you! But do get help when you're poorly.

• Posted

Thanks Operalyn you're exactly right of course. I think it's because my mum died of emphysema. I know I don't have that condition but that is the worry for my family when they see me so poorly. 

I have a good consultant but have lost confidence in the GPs....    

• Posted

Completely understandable. I worry about emphysema too. But bronchiectasis doesn't necessarily lead to that so let's hope you don't go down that road. Xx

• Posted

Oh I wasn't thinking along those lines...but I was told that Bx unmanaged can become COPD. 

Thanks for your support. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.