Bronchiectasis and stem cell research

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have Bronchiectasis and live in the states.

Has anyone hear of Stem Cell Research involving this illness?

there is the Lung Institute here in the states and I signed up for a webinar next week.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The problem with stem cells (if it's anything like their use for mediating the effects of lung cancer and allowing stroger doses of chemo to be tolerated with less side-effects) is that the treatment is very expensive. I have top quality medical insurance and I know it will not cover stem cell therapy in cancer on a pure cost ground (no reflection on its efficacy).

Worth finding out about but don't pin too much hope unless you are rich eleizabeth!

Not a medic

• Posted

Steve,

Well, I'm not rich by any means. But I thought it's worth hearing about it.  If it costs a few thousand dollars, it would be worth it, by improving my health, it would save on meds, hospital bills, quality of life,etc.,

• Posted

Sure Eliabeth - a few thousand dollars is well worth while and I personally would spend whatever it took for an effective treatment, but I sense that if my insurer will cover many thousands of pounds a year on treatments for cancer that we may be talking tens of thousands of dollars if not hundreds for stem cell treatment.

Not trying to be negative and of course it's worth finding out. I found it very interesting and useful that you posted and I look forward to your feedback. Love!

• Posted

Steve,

Thanks for your input.  It's, at the very least, worth checking into it.

Everything that I have read about bronchiectais, says it's not reversable. But then I think, several hundred years ago,everyone thought the earth was flat and that the sun rotated around the earth.

At this point, anything is worth listening to.

The webinar is tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday.  I'll let you know.

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.