Bu Tran 5mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there . Have just been described Bu Tran today for really bad back pain that is on going for about 4 year now. I have been in tramadol 6 per day for the last 2year. After reading some info & threads about this patch I am a little concerned that it can get addictive. I would love to hear from anyone that has used this type of med . Thank you for reading .

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liz I haven't used it for pain but used the higher dosage to get off another opiate. See how you go and if it doesn't work let your doc know x
    • Posted

Hi jo57386 . Thanks for reply . I have put the patch on (a little reluctant ) but hoping it will work. Thanks again x
  • Posted

I would be more concerned about the Tramadol. 

Of of course you have to make a balanced judgement, in discussion with your GP.

• Posted

Hi Lawyer . Thanks for reply. I have been told by doc that I am to take both patch & tramadol but regulated . I have never came off tramadol so to be honest I have never had any side effects from it.
  • Posted

Hi liz i have been on butrans for a month now i was on 15mg.

I noticed dizziness and hot sweats and knew this was a side effect so carried on.

This morning however i woke up to swelled feet and ankles and they hurt when walking so i rang the nhs help line as my doctor wasnt open they recommended i stop using the patch at once as they say swollen feet are a sign your kidneys arent working properly.

They told me to stop the patches for 48hrs and see if the swelling goes down.

I told them i cant manage without strong painkillers as i have siatica and a crumbling spine they recommended i take co codomol until my docter can prescribe something stronger.

Sorry its not a good review and it may not be the same for you but i thought i would let you know anyway x

• Posted

Hi Dawn . You poor crater. I get Sciatica in a regular basis also so I no how the pain can be. I hope you will get sorted soon . X I appreciate any reply as I have not much knowledge or no anyone that has used or taken then patch x
    • Posted

The pain didnt stop but i didnt notice it so much and did sleep better but it scared me what was said about swollen feet try it see how you get on hopefully it works for you good luck hun x
    • Posted

I have only just put the patch on around 6 hours ago so I havnt noticed any side effects yet .. but I will def keep a check of the swelling of feet . Sometimes it's trial & error maybe with all these meds. Once under supervision & reccomendation of doc there not much else really. X I recently start taking a herbal supplement called milk thistle . It is supposed to help cleanse the liver for any person on alot of pain killers . So I'm hoping between all that I will be ok x thank you again Dawn x
  • Posted

It will become addictive especially beyond 12 months. The patch comes in 5mcg 10mcg and 20mcg formulations

Recently a 15mcgood patch had been introduced.

The cold hard facts are these. It is am opiate. You need to request the absolute minimum patch thay will be effective, otherwise the stronger the dosage, the more difficult it will be for you to titrate off it. The real problem lies with the 10mcg patch. After a period of time, you will attempt to titration off it and you will be cut in half as the next dose is 5mcg. For most people this will be a noticeable reduction. Worse still is going from 5mcg to 0mcg. There is nothing on between. Cutting a 5mcg patch in half will not give you 2.5mcg of Butrans opioid. The first 37 hours of any amount of a Butrans patch will deliver 50% of maximum dose with a gradual reduction in value over the remaimodern of the week. Cutting a 5mcg patch in half will still deliver a full 5mcg value. It just won't last as long. Generally, you could be placed on short term hydrocodone which could effectively produce a 2.5mcg effect until you are weaned off the opiates from Butrans completely.

I day this because I have gone through withdrawal from a10mcg starting point and going from 5 to 0 will create a very unpleasant effect for many people. I was able to mediate the issue with hydrocodone for two weeks with a tapeeing schedule until the withdrawal effect eased. This is fair warning about the use of opiates to con troll pain and the expected side effects. I caution to say that this will not be the same reaction for everyone but is probably typical inany cases. Remember. Minimum out to control pain. And then discussing titration with your doctor very very carefully.

• Posted

Hi Germanized . Thank you for that . I have a nervous feeling about this already and have only put the patch on a few hours ago. Not that I have any side effects yet but am terrified of getting hooked (addicted) to this patch cause of all the stories & threads I have read.
    • Posted

Hi Germanized I went to a private rehab clinic for codeine addiction. They took the codeine and dosed me up on valium which did nothing. I had som sort butrans 8mg siblingual. I entered with codeine addiction and left with diazepam addiction as well as butrans patch. Bu trans worked for while then started to affect my mood dramatically. I got to 15mcg and went CT I was an emotional wreck for 2 weeks but no physical pain. Still working on diazepam addiction slowly. I will never forget as I was leaving one of the drug withdrawal nurses said Jo you look great. You were a real bitch when you first arrived. Do these people have drug withdrawal training?
    • Posted

Hi. I've been on Butrans 10 mcg for 3 years. Now that I am no longer able to work I can't afford it. My doctor is refusing to taper me off. She said if it got bad that I should just go to the emergency room. She also refused to put me on anything affordable. I know everyone reacts differently but I was wondering if you could tell me some of the symptoms that I might look for? Also, what has it been like for you?

Thank you.

• Posted

I've been on a 5mg patch for 8 years (refused to go to 10mg during those years) and am trying to detox off it now. Doc gave my hydrocodone and to get me though the detox and I'm also taking ibupropfen and have an old script for Xanax, which I took half doses the first 10 days at night but the crawlie feelings in my legs seem to have stopped now. It's two weeks out and the malaise and depression is unrelenting, as is the feeling of being on the verge of tears. Today I managed to avoid hydrocodone, and before today have been taking only half of a 5/325 twice a day. I want off this sooo badly. Am I almost through this? Will I feel like myself ever again? If you're wondering why I am going off of it, I was put on it because of cancer and terrible joint pain (RA). Took 8 years but finally I was put on methotrexate for the joint stuff and it has helped tremendously. I haven't been able to find much about how long this is going to take, and of course everyone is different, but I was hoping you'd tell me it's almost over! Sigh.  

• Posted

I went cold turkey from 15mg after 8 months it wasn't pleasant but all emotional no physical pain. See if there's an alternative. Certain people get addicted to tramadol not everyone. Just tell your doc you want an alternative to the patch
    • Posted

Just remember. As I said. Reactions with discontinuation with Butrans patches will vary from person to person. That's why I suggested minimal dosages unless you need more. If you need more, fully discuss titration with your doctor so you are not left in unnecessary pain. Advanced planning is your best option.
    • Posted

15 MG would have killed you. It's measured in micrograms

Hence mcg, not mg.

• Posted

Thank you for pointing out that I missed out a c. You are correct the are measured in mcg. Feel better about yourself?
    • Posted

Apologies Germanized from my message below. I'm having an awful day and shouldn't have taken it out on you x
    • Posted

Please ignore that it was unnecessary and I really do apologise. Very bad day but not excuse. Sorry Germanized x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.