Bulging disc c2-7, bone spurs and annular tear -

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have swelling at the very top of my back below my neck. I have pain going down my right arm and in my shoulder blades. I've had neck problems before, but not to this extent of pain. I've had 4 nerve blocks/epidural blocks since July. Has anyone experienced this? I'm on muscle relaxers and pain meds.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is exactly how I was in February last year. My pain started in my shoulder as a niggle. Little did I know what was going to happen. The pain got so bad, it involved my left arm and horrific pain in my shoulder blades. I have benn for numerous mri scans. The discs invoked are c3/4 c4/5 c5/6 and c7. These are all bulging discs due to an unusual curve in my neck. I am now waiting to go for a ct scan. I am taking gabapentin, naproxen, solpadol and amitriptyline.
  • Posted

Tiffany,

I am sorry to hear of your trouble,the only associated pain I have had was in the nineties,I started with shooting pains down each arm and the doctor gave me pain killers which only killed the pain for so long.He eventually sent me to see a retired consultant who was working as a private practice,he diagnosed a slipped disk in my neck,he got round the back of me,I was seated,and gripped my head and lifted sharply and twisted,there was a loud click and the job was done,a slipped disc in my neck.

Ever since my neck has been fine.

• Posted

Dear Tiffany

I can relate absolutely to what you are going through. I had 3 degenerating discs in my neck and after two years of injections, nerve root blocks and seeing every therapist under the sun, I finally had surgery 6 weeks ago! The surgeon said that the bone spurs had grown so large that, had he left them much longer, I would have lost the use of my left arm! It's quality of life, and mine was severely affected.  I am slowly recovering from the operation, and in my case it really was a last resort, but the only thing left for me to try!

• Posted

Hi Benggo

There's a world of difference between a slipped disc and spinal degeneration due to cervical spondylosis....which is what these posts are about.  I wouldn't advise any bone cracking for anyone with C/S...it's much too risky.  Glad you got over your slipped disc,  but it's really not relevant to the posts here which are referring to the C/S condition only.

• Posted

I was just relating to trouble I have had in the past,I too have C/S which I had started with 20 years after the event of the slipped disc.

As you seem to be "policing"these posts,should I consider myself repremanded for what I originaly entered.

• Posted

I just think it's appropriate that,  when replying to someone who has enquired about C/S,  any responses should be sensitive to that issue,  rather than confusing the issue with references to unrelated treatments.  Perhaps you could start a separate 'slipped disc' thread to discuss your experiences.
    • Posted

PS....

I don't 'police' these posts.  I just give an opinion.  I think you're reading something into my post which wasn't implied.  

• Posted

Hi

Might be wise to ask your GP or Physio to refer you for MRI scan to determine the exact nature of the problem.  Any treatments could then be decided depending on the MRI results.  

• Posted

I go to my neurologist tomorrow.

• Posted

Bone spur on a nerve that is causing the swelling, numbness & pain. Surgery is scheduled for Thursday.
    • Posted

Good luck with the surgery.  I don't know whether you're with NHS or private,  but that must be the quickest referral to surgery I've heard about.  
    • Posted

All the very best with the surgery,I hope you feel better afterwards,please keep us posted how you go on.
    • Posted

I thought exactly the same. Mine has been severe pain since last February, and I am still waiting for a refferal for surgery. I think you may have already read my posts gerry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.