Bunion op in December

Posted , 24 users are following.

Is anyone else having a bunion op in December? I'm having one tomorrow, I thought it might feel good to share day to day experiences & advice with other people, especially in the lead-up to Christmas. I'm feeling very nervous today!

4 likes, 362 replies

362 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I go in on the 12th. Like you feeling a bit nervous but after a life of hating my bunion I can’t wait to be pain free and have a normal shaped foot
  • Posted

Hi Sue.

Hope your bunion op was successful and are not in too much discomfort.im having my bunion done on the 13th of January and am dreading it.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Denise and Andrew, I'm all done and dusted. I can't speak highly enough of the NHS after yesterday, they

looked after me so well.

I had a general anaesthetic at about 9.30, came round about 12, left about 3 o'clock. A little pain in the night

as the numbness slowly wore off, nothing awful. I couldn't sleep at all though, not Sue why. Today it hurts but

bearable. The painkillers make me sick unless I eat something first. The pain really is not too bad. Am

wiggling my toes, and can use the crutches, but I can feel my leg wants to be up, not walking.

Take heart! My advice is to prepare the space you are planning to be in when you get home - preferably downstairs. - books, magazines, Dvd's, water and glass, baby wipes, hand gel, pen paper, mobile phone, somewhere that you can put your crutches and one shoe that you can reach them easily. TV remotes etc. a change of clothes and nightclothes.

Good luck! Keep us posted! Do ask me if you want to know anything about the actual day etc.

• Posted

I meant not sure why I couldn't sleep. The op doesn't seem to have improved my typing!
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I had my surgery the same day as yourself. The NHS were so helpful. My foot still seems to be numb and no problems with the painkillers they gave me (ibepropen, paracetamol, Tramadol)

I must say I tried a Tramadol yesterday and it knocked me out! Haha so I think that's why my sleeping pattern is out.

It's reached the point where my foot doesn't want to be on the floor... I start to feel all the blood rush to my foot and it just feels better up. Wish I put more things at arms reach because boredom is starting to set in. December is a great time to get this done, I plan to do some drawing tomorrow.

In terms of pain, since the surgery, on a scale of one to ten, zero being no pain. The maximum has reached 1 or 2. I'm still waiting for it... Let me know if you've found any surprises lurking around the corner! :-)

• Posted

Hello Sarah, it sounds like you've done really well. Think how great it's going to be when it's done!

You are right about putting the foot down, I've never had such a clear sign of my body telling what not to do,

If your foot is still numb, and you can't feel your toes when you touch them, I would look for signs that they are coming to life, that's when I needed the painkillers most. I felt like there was tight steel band around my toes.

The hospital phone me and suggested I change to taking 2 paracetamol with 2 Ibruprofin, & that has been

fantastic - no sickness and I slept some of last night. Hooray!

Enjoy the drawing, I wish I could draw, but I'm awful at it.

Glad you're recovering well.....

• Posted

Good news all you ops went well, had my bunion done several years ago, totally bad experience, waste of time, first needles to numb foot did not work told nurse I still hD feeling in foot, was told all in the mind, just think I can feel, on operating table large cut and me screaming, I felt the cut, another surgeon called, then had to have mega painful injections in sole of foot, then had infection in foot, toe don't look much different than before removal if bunion, side of foot is totally numb, was due to have other foot done, needless to say NO THANK
  • Posted

Hello everyone, I had my bunion operation yesterday and so far so good. I have a little pain - nothing unbearable - and my foot is up in the air with a pack of frozen sweetcorn on it. I'm taking my painkillers religiously - codeine phosphate/paracetamol and ibuprofen - maximum doses. Managing to slither on my bum to the loo. Husband is cooking and bellowing at the kids to help him downstairs and I guess what? - I'm upstairs in my bedroom with my Kindle and computer ...arghh.. it's bliss. Make the most of it that's what I say !! xx
  • Posted

Hi Bloggers - I'm 4 weeks post Op tomorrow - I had both feet done, and I'm so pleased I have had mine done - Yes with the NHS

So far so good and the paid has never been that bad.

At 4 weeks post op - I still need to keep feet elevated at times when resting.

I can now stand in the shower without bandages and without my shower seat, the scars are coming along nicely…. I rubbing bio oil now at least three times a day.

I will need to wear my velcro shoes until Jan 7th when I'm back to see my consultant.

• Posted

hi Debbie

Glad you are recovering well from your bunion op.I was supposed to be having both feet done at the same time on the 13th January.But decided to just have one done at a time,plus I am having a knee operation at the same time as well.

Denise

• Posted

Evening All

Sat here chewing my nails, my operation is still on for tomorrow. But been put slightly at ease by all your positive posts

Fingers crossed I’ll be posting equally as positive within a couple of days

Till then hope everyone stays well

• Posted

Good luck Denise

I thought one op and just one recovery.. But if your having your knee done as well both feet may just be a bit too much.

Everyone seems to have a different stories and we all deal with pain in different ways,also different hospitals have different ways of doing things.

• Posted

Andrew, don't worry at all. I've got a low pain threshold and I've suffered more at the dentist having my teeth out than I did having my bunion removed yesterday. The first couple of injections scratch a bit but then your foot is numb and you just feel the pressure. Take your Ipod to block the power tools! and some loose wide trousers to go over your big foot after the op. I was out of theatre in 45 minutes - my pain has been OK since - on a scale of 1-10 (1 being normal and 10 being pass-out childbirth pain) I haven't moved above a 2. I'm really comfortable in bed and don't plan to get up for a few days actually and am enjoying having a rest. My foot feels achy and a bit heavy and hot - but pain killers are knocking off the pain a lot. Husband bought one of those bed trays with legs which have come in really handy for breakfast in bed!! All will be well, don't worry! Tell us how you get on tomorrow evening! good luck!
  • Posted

Good luck Andrew don't read too much before your op. I was out for the count with Generel anaesthetic

• Posted

Good luck Andrew, this time tomorrow it will be done, and you'll be happy. No more bunion!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.