Bunion op in December

Posted , 24 users are following.

Is anyone else having a bunion op in December? I'm having one tomorrow, I thought it might feel good to share day to day experiences & advice with other people, especially in the lead-up to Christmas. I'm feeling very nervous today!

4 likes, 362 replies

362 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Charlotte definitely has the right attitude! I'm treating like a strange holiday - iPad, Kindle, magazines, TV, all the things I don't normally do. Crutches are getting easier to use, and I can do more for myself, they're good for hooking things! And the pain really is bearable.
  • Posted

Hi Andrew

Good Luck with your op today.

To everyone else who have had bunion ops recently,hope the recovery is going well

Denise

• Posted

I'm glad that everyone here seems to be doing well. Thanks for the reply Sue, yes I'm excited to see what it looks like when the bandages come off!

Day 4 today. The anaesthetic wore off sometime last night and I had a sore throat. Initially thought it was my stomache from all the pills, but it was when I breathed, so it's from the tube they put down my throat when I was out in sergery. Throat is fine now, foot isn't as numb but the foot pain hasn't gone past a 2.

Apparently if you're stressed or anxious before surgery, post-op pain is worse. Since we're not allowed to eat food before general anaesthetic, I was quite sleepy before surgery as I guess my body was trying to limit energy output. So I was quite content to be sent to sleep.

So the pain is extremely low, so that's not a problem. It's uncomfortable to put any weight on heel at the moment but I went downstairs to see my grandma earlier, took a bit of time to get down stairs... when I prop it back up in the elevated position, my foot trembles or shakes. Same thing when I went back to my room. Anyone else have this?

It's probably just a sign to avoid stairs for a few days.

• Posted

Wow, Sarah, you've done so well, but going up and down stairs is a huge task at the moment, I'm not surprised you get the shakes. I haven't even tried it yet.

Isn't is nice to have it over with?

• Posted

Day 4 - hard to sleep at night! Seems more painful at night, & it's hard to get comfy. All my toes will move now, except the big toe - I feel like I'm moving it, but it stays put! Is this normal?

I feel like flitting round on my crutches & interfering with the (lack of) housework, but I can feel it swelling after 4/5 minutes. The dog is still scared of my crutches, she seems to think I'm going to hit her with them. She is a 'rescue dog', so who knows, but it upsets me, because I wouldn't harm a whisker or a hair, she's my darling!

Hope everyone is else is doing well.

• Posted

Hi Sue, I can move all my toes except the big one. I think that's normal. They cut the tendon or muscle between the big toe and other toes, so I guess that's why they're not "connected" if you know what I mean. I'm a bit wary of moving anything there because I've heard about people pulling stitches etc. I was only told to move the ankle up and down to help with circulation, so that's all I move for the moment. Oh I had a scarf osteotomy, did you have the same? Thanks for the stairs comment, I'll take it easy.

I know what you mean about it being hard to get comfy... Have you been given anything stronger than paracetamol and ibuprofen?

Awe your dog sounds really sweet, i'm trying to get my cat scared of crutches so I don't hit him by accident when he runs near my feet or doesn't move out the way. So there's a different way of looking at it.

• Posted

Good thinking Sarah, it does mean she doesn't trip me up! Yes, I had a scarf thingy, what you say explains why the toe won't move. Will have to be patient. They did give me co-cidimol, but I can't keep it down. Horrible stuff!

Keep off those stairs! Tomorrow is another day 🐶🐱

• Posted

Day five - slept really well and am almost pain free! Take heart everyone who has just had it done!

Don't do what I did when you wake up feeling wonderful, though - far too much! It started to complain & I had to put it up again, but I'm really feeling it is starting to heal.

• Posted

I'm day 4 Sue, just behind you. Yesterday evening was the first day I had any significant pain - I was too confident and didn't take enough pain killers maybe during the day, I don't know. Others beware! just when you think you've got it sussed, the pain gets you, so keep the pain killers going in for a few days.

So I dambusted some pills straight away and woke up virtually pain free again this morning. happy days. I also washed my hair !! My husband helped and took a chair to the side of the bath and I propped up my poorly foot on another chair and lent over with a jug! Easy (but I got rather wet)! I'm still not confident enough to try a bath with my foot sticking out - the nurse told me not to do this and to stick to flannel washes, but I'd love a soak and it's only day 4!

Getting a bit bored in bed now but still daren't use the stairs. Can't bear the thought of how much mess there is downstairs - I've 2 teenage boys who scatter cereal and dirty plates in every direction. I think I'll stay put for the time being.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, don't look downstairs! Every time I go through the kitchen the sight of the unwashed floor plagues me! Don't want to think about the rest of the house if that's anything to go by.

Couldn't agree more with you about overdoing it & about keeping up the painkillers. So tempting, but really not a good idea. Had visitors today, and sat at the table for lunch, & I'm paying for it now.

I like your hair wash idea, I had a go in the kitchen sink, but sitting down is more clever.

My husband just came back from Lidll with a leg pillow, like a long wedge, £9.99 & wonderful!

I hope you keep making such good progress, best wishes...

• Posted

Morning All I'm back

Had my operation as planned on Thursday, but not till late so had an unexpected night in hospital

But already how glad am I . When I first got home yesterday tried to do to much and my body quickly told me to sit down. The co-codamol is doing its job and having no problems sleeping. I think the pain is no worse than i've had breaking a new pair of shoes in to my previously odd shaped foot. So to everyone I wish a good and speedy recovery and thanks for your calming posts

• Posted

Morning all. Glad everyone is doing well with the recovery from the bunion operations.

Glad your op went well Andrew. Bet you are glad its over.

Ive got another 4 weeks yet before my op.It helps reassure me with all the comments. Take care all of you.

Denise.

• Posted

Hi Andrew, well done! You must have had a horrible day waiting in the hospital, so glad it's done now. Be careful, sounds like you're being a bit gung-ho! Just because the painkillers are stopping you feeling it, doesn't mean it ain't sore!

Keep us posted, best wishes..

• Posted

Day 7 - quite a lot of pain/discomfort in my foot rather than toe. Is this normal? I still have the iron grip feeling, my back doesn't like being in bed, but my foot wants to be there!
  • Posted

So glad you're doing well Andrew.

Day 5 I had a visitor over and overdid it. I sat on the sofa with foot up and chatted away but a couple times I was standing up for too long... Not to mention I went down stairs again... I know I know. Paid for it during the night, through to the next morning... But the evening time I was pain free (could have something to do with the pills) but I tried walking a little on my heel as before I wasn't comfortable putting ANY weight on even though I was told I can. So as you say Sue, it feels a little like it's healing :-)

Oh and baths, I've had a bath EVERY DAY since the surgery haha it's surprising physical to keep foot up the whole time whilst undressing, drying, getting dressed, not to mention manouvering into the bath itself... It's a small bathroom so I can sit on the closed toilet and put my foot up on the bath edge. I rest my foot on a towel at the side of the bath (useful as it's kept nicely elevated) and have a nice soak. My mum offered to help bath me as she works as a carer, but I feel I've got it down. I'm sure I'll have a six-pack by next week!!

I have a "flannel bath" at night too, if that's a thing. I'm in my early 20s and my skin can get quite bad otherwise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.