Bunion op in December

Posted , 24 users are following.

Is anyone else having a bunion op in December? I'm having one tomorrow, I thought it might feel good to share day to day experiences & advice with other people, especially in the lead-up to Christmas. I'm feeling very nervous today!

4 likes, 362 replies

362 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 7

Went to an Xmas meal. Which means I went down the stairs again... Oh dear. But it's easier now I can walk on my heel. I might regret this decision later.......

Went to ASDA and used a wheelchair! So fun! Also my arms got a good workout.

It doesn't really throb when I put my foot down anymore. It'll still probably swell though so I had it on a chair with some pillows at the meal and stayed sat down as long as possible.

• Posted

Oh Charlotte, about the bath thing. Weren't you given a leaflet at the pre-op assessment which had plastic coverings you can buy. They're made to go over casts and are completely waterproof, elasticate around your ankle so you can actually stick your foot in the water.

They sell them online, type "waterproof foot cover" into google and I'm sure it'll come up. They're not expensive but I didn't buy one because I was sure I could keep my foot dry. I admit it would help though.

• Posted

I have read all your posts with interest sitting on the sofa with my foot up. I had bunion surgery in Lincoln on the tenth of December, and haven't had any problems. (Well, just one, I banged my big toe the day after surgery when I lost my balance on the crutches. I hope I haven't undone the surgeon's good work.)

Haven't had a lot of pain except for the first night when my leg kept twitching and bringing on waves of foot pain. What I have been feeling is more a dull ache that I am calling 'phantom bunion pain' and an occasional sharp sensation at the base of my big toe. As I can't take codeine or morphine I have managed with just ibuprofen and paracetomol. I am waiting to hear about my followup visit at the hospital, been told it will be two weeks post-op for bandage removal.

My partner has been a saint, doing all the jobs in the house, with my teenage daughter helping where she is able. I Have a four-week sick note but really don't know when the doc will let me wear a real shoe, drive or resume work ( I do a physically demanding job) I am a little bored after five days but REALLY enjoying the rest, and agree with Sarah, December is a GREAT time to get it done - I am letting everyone else sort Christmas!

• Posted

Hi Alice,

You sound as if you're doing really well. You had your surgery the same day as me, but I had mine up in Northumberland! I'm not sure about when I'll be able to go back to work either; I'm hoping I'll be OK on 8th Jan because I told work I'd be back by then (eek). I reckon that even if I can't stand for a long time, I should give it a go and have something to aim for.

I had a bath today Sarah! It's no problem getting in but I waited for the water to drain so I could use the bottom of the bath to get out. Wow, I feel so much better. Thanks for your tip about the foot cover too. (I can't believe you went to Asda by the way - I feel like I'll never set foot outside again!)

I'm going to miss my bed tray too when I'm back on my feet again - I've been so spoiled with all my meals brought to me on a tray! I've never eaten so well - husband has been making me eat porridge for breakfast and I never usually eat breakfast!

• Posted

Wow, Charlotte, Alice & Sarah, interesting reading. You're all ahead of me, it's great because I've been worrying I'm doing too much, but you're doing loads more than me. I still haven't been upstairs! I've only sat up to write Xmas cards & have meals, & only walked to let the dog out, apart from the obvious!

It's the big bone at the top of my foot that hurts most.

I'm going to start bending my toe back & forwards tomorrow, as per instructions, & hope that helps.

You all sound keen to get back to work - my surgeon said 8 weeks for a job where you're standing all day, & also not to drive until then.

I hope you all have a good nights sleep, I can't believe it's Monday tomorrow!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply , Charlotte and Sue. Day 6, my first day 'home alone' and I have already tried to do too much. showered (sitting on a stool with a bread bag over the foot) and dressed, did a few dishes and the big to, top and heel of my foot are radiating an ache which converge in my ankle. I have taken paracetomol and got my supplies together for a retreat to the sofa to recover.

Charlotte mentioned how tough it is to see the mess and not want to clear it up. Note to Self. THE HOUSEWORK CAN WAIT.

I spent some time on youtube seeking post-op advice and it seems everyone is told something different. I wasn't told anything at all, except foot up 90% of the time for the first 10-12 days. Nothing about stretching exercises or about the effect of over-doing things. I am not complaining, I truly believe my surgeon and the wonderful NHS are giving me credit for having common sense and a good support network.

I found an interesting rule of thumb (or Toe, in this case) - it says you can be up and about for FIVE minutes every hour in the first week, TEN mins in the second week, and FIFTEEN in the third. This makes sense to me. I know I am already pushing the five minute limit every other time I get up, but will try to behave the rest of today and tomorrow, till 'week two' begins.

Time to put on a film. Have a good day, everyone!

• Posted

Enjoy the film, Alice, and thank you for the advice, it sounds right. I've been up too much, and paying for it. My arms have had enough hauling me up & down, though, they are really hurting!

Need to be more positive tomorrow, I think I expected to feel loads better each day, but it doesn't seem to be a straight uphill path.

Hope everyone else is feel ok.

• Posted

Hi Sue and Everyone,

Both feet I had a bunionectomy with midfoot fusion, so placement of titanium plate and 4-5 screws.

I am 5 days post op of my second foot (first foot done last day of Aug. 2013). Both surgeries I had a general anesth. and both went very very well, no after effects to speak of.

However, the first surgery was painful from day one, much in part do to my confusion with post op instructions and being too confused with so much going on to know. I didn't ice properly, nor remove my boot, as the nurse didn't do that at the hospital, so we followed what she did and by the time we had ice on, my foot was ready to explode! I ended up at day 3 postop calling on call dr. and he directed my husband to cut my bandage that was acting as a tourniquet.....everything was smooth sailing, more or less after that.

At least painwise and then weeks later, the swelling prevented me from fitting into a shoe. This was taken care of by using compression stockings, which were painful at first, but very very helpful in getting into a shoe.

This time, Dec. 13th, the dr. put an ankle (nerve) block, which somehow lasted about 60 hours instead of the 12=48 hours that I was told....that was great! Only, I did get careless and was actually moving my leg about quite a bit, then on top of it, because of feeling so well, went off of all narcotics, since my pain level was 0 for 4 days in a row.....when suddenly, last night WOW did I feel the pain!!!!

It took about 6 hours and three doses of narcotics to gain control....sooo painful. Then I knew that my ankle block had officially quit working. So, instead of eliminating all together, I am now halfing my doses and doing much much better.

I did not cut my bandage this time, but only because of my husbands encouragement.....I read that the tight bandage will help eliminate the swelling over time, so trying to ride it out.

On each foot I have had the restriction of no weight bear for 5 weeks, and with this right foot, no driving for 5 weeks, also.

Great to be on hear to read of all the experiences, it helps alot to know others are in the same boat!

• Posted

My goodness Mary, I feel such a lightweight compared to you. Your procedures sound so serious. I can appreciate what you say about an exploding foot; I've found these past few days some of the hardest because my foot is swelling so much. So much for a measured recovery - I feel that some days I'm actually getting worse not better. Today I was silly and used my good foot to kick off my black boot, which pulled on the dressing on my bad foot. The pain was like nails being hammered through my big toe - it was excrutiating. I can't imagine what's going on under there! I don't know what to expect when they take the dressing off and change it. They are due to do this on Thursday this week. Mary, can you remember what your foot looked like post op first time round when you saw it?
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, I did not read what surgery you had, so I will go back to see that....

Yes, my foot did not look that good, because I had cut the bandage from surgery and some of my incision did "gape" open a little bit. I remember not really wanting to even look at it because to me it just looked sore! It was not too deformed at all, just a deep red color on incision, which was lined with a lot of steri strips. I had interior stitches with steri strips on top and a thread on each end of incision, which she had to snip and pulled. My skin was terribly sensitive, like never ever before, she hardly touched it, and I appreciated that.

(I was a little confused at how this dr. made the incision on top of my foot, when he had to place a plate to rebuild my arch....but, I am not curious enough to see video on youtube, its just too painful to watch.)

But, be encouraged, I have decided that this is something a person should not hurry. It will get better, but it takes a long time. Do not be hard on yourself and do not push yourself, that is what I did and its just not worth it. It seemed so many days with no progress, and then I would back a week earlier and remember it was much worse.

This time I am trying to be better to myself....however, I have three young boys and they are full full full of energy. I have a husband who is a work-aholic, and at this very moment, he is pounding away, bent on finishing a bathroom remodel, even though he has taken off work this week because of me!ha

For me, it is a real blessing to have rented a knee walker, It is much safer for me to get around with, I am so happy with it. I have the nature to be independent myself and ..since I have been through this once, I have myself setup to do as much for myself as possible.

My husband is taking care of kids, meals, and the house.....ah, the house...well, lets not go there!!

Anyways, living real life over here, its not picture perfect, but oh well......

Thanks for the reply, Charlotte! So good to hear from you, and keep me posted on your progress!!

• Posted

Hello Mary - you've had a pretty awful time, sorry it's been so bad, & Charlotte, gosh, I had a similar thing today when my Mum went to sit on my foot that was up on the chair while I was eating! I moved it so quick, & have been sweating that I've done damage. Taught me a lesson, people aren't necessarily thinking what they're doing at this time of year! Do you think you have done any damage?

I had a bad day yesterday when everything hurt, especially my shoulders and wrists. I have also hired a knee walker, but have been a bit scared to use it, I think I'll have a go soon - do you have any hints about how to use it? My foot felt like it was hanging down too much when I tried.

What has amazed me is the different types of pain I'm experiencing - sharp, numb, pins & needles, electric etc etc - so many different kinds. I don't mind the pain, but don't you find you worry that you have done something wrong and damaged it all?

It has been very interesting reading your posts. Let's hope we all have a good day tomorrow. I'm going to try to go to sleep now - I'm still sleeping downstairs on my own, and feeling a bit lonely!

• Posted

Yes, sorry to hear that Charlotte, and you, Sue.....I remember one incident, last foot, my 1 yr old granddaughter was playing on the floor and picked up, yes, a toy hammer, and whacked my big toe! I didn't say a word, as my daughter in law didn't see her, but I thought I would cry, and yes, it finally came out as I couldn't hold it in, OUCH!

Well, I thought crutches were a nightmare, and I rarely used them last time...I used a walker, in which, my handyman husband had placed a board across....I was able to roll w hile putting my knee on, and even use to sit. The only problem was, it is setting a little higher than my short legs liked, so I made do, but to me, the knee walker is a dream! Rolls smooth and quickly. I am not up much at all and it ihas a basket, so I can place my essentials in and get to where Iam going.

If I were not comfortable with it, I would just make sure to use very slowly. Otherwise, I lock hand brakes when I need to use toilet and can easily transfer, standing on one foot.

All for now,

I will call it a night soon, also. Take care, Sue, Charlotte, wishing you a very good night!

• Posted

Hello all,

Many thanks for all the contributions which really are helpful.

My op is set for 27th December and I am very apprehensive bordering on terrified. Broke my ankle years ago and pain was unbearable. Have finally decided to go ahead because although the pain from walking on the bunion isn't too bad I'm walking on the side of my foot and don't walk far (have lots of aches and pains elsewhere). I cannot find any shoes (including trainers, Hotter, etc) that don't cause direct pain across the joint and blisters aftet 5 minutes wear (I have wide feet to start with and resort to flip-flops most of the time). Also my father had bunion on same foot and by the end struggled to walk at all because his foot was so painful.

I am hoping that in 6m I will have a straight foot so that I can buy 'normal' wide fit comfortable shoes LOL and maybe, just maybe, find something fashionable for occasional wear - I'm 63 and don't go clubbing so not looking for stilettos!

• Posted

Hi Polly, I think you are doing the right thing. When I asked my surgeon if it would be worth all the pain, he said a) it won't get better by itself and will in time deform the other toes, and b) the older you are the worse the op is, & the NHS may not keep it available forever as they cut back.

Remember that when we write on the forum we probably have a tendency to focus on the things that are bugging us, but there' slots that is actually fine - a good chance to catch up on books, films, phone people you meant to phone for months etc.

I found the lead up to the op worse than the actual thing, which was very smooth and easy. The staff were wonderful, answered all my fears, and took so much trouble to make sure I was fine after the op. I had spent 6 weeks agonising about whether to have it, and worrying about everything, and I really needn't have done.

So enjoy Christmas, make sure you are organised for when you come out - somewhere to lie and sit up comfortably with everything in reach. Practice getting up without using the foot that will be operated on, and strengthen your arms - I wish someone had told me to toughen up my arms, cos you use them so much more than usual.

Enjoy every day until the 27th! Keep us posted!

• Posted

Oh, and something I have found really useful - a blanket cradle, which I bought on eBay for £9. It keeps the covers or duvet up in the area of your operated foot, so the show isn't constantly snagging on the bed linen. Keep it cool too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.