Bunion operation

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who had their operation at least three to six months ago and how they are doing.  I want to know how much difference the operation has made to your lives! confused

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

12 weeks post op here. Foot looks and feels good. I am still experiencing a great deal of swelling, and my toes are still pretty stiff. Doctor says that can happen for 3-6 months. At my eight week post op visit he told me that I couldn't jog or hike for 6 months, my only exercise is a stationary bike.  He did explain before the surgery that it could take up yo a year to be completely healed. 

I've learned to be patient and to truly listen to my foot, when it's time to rest, I rest. I am starting to see the excellent work my doctor did and I must say it will be worth it in the end. 

Take care. 

• Posted

Hi Yvette, it's good to know how long it will take to get back to normal, especially if you feel that you're foot is taking longer to heal than others on the forum.  No two operations are the same and we are all different ages, weights and maybe some of us more sedentary than others.  A year seems a good figure though I would still check with the GP if unsure of anything.  With the support I'm getting I will definitely consider the Op but might just do one more trek beforehand.  Maybe I'll do a Degree to keep off my feet! :::smile
  • Posted

hi mumbles1 ,i had my op april 19 on both feet have had no probs ,i used a wheelchair for the first 3 weeks after op as was told not to walk on them , then just went short disances walking with crutches and gradually walked more & more ,but till i had been distarged i went in to town with the chair .i now find i cant walk as long as i used to ie walking the dog used to be for 2 hours now i just about manage 1 hour before my feet start to throb around the scaring area ,but at least i can now were enclosed shoes where as before i went through the winter in flip flops because to put shoes on hurt to much so to be honest yes it has made a massave difference to me .
    • Posted

Hi Barmeygran,

wow, you did wait a long time to have the op!  I'm so glad to hear this news.  It takes a lot of courage to have both done at the same time! Obviously it takes longer to recover if both are done as you haven't got a supporting foot!  I'll be seeing my GP for a start and thanks and Good Luck!

• Posted

hi again ,i was told 15 years ago it needed to be done ,but fell pregnant so put it off till i knew the children would cope without me having to run round ,the recovery time  i was told  for me  was 10 -12 weeks i am 54 the way i saw it was if i had 1 done at a time then it would have been 2x spells of  recovery where as by having them done together it was only 1 spell of recovery i am so glad i did it this way as being off my feet even with tv & pc ,kettle ect in the bedroom it got so boring ,i still moisterise them twice a day ..good luck ......
  • Posted

Funny you mention doing a degree. I started  a Graduate Certificate in the middle of this year. I had to get an extension for one assessment  right after the surgery, but now I am still not back at work and have had time to finish that assessment and start the next. I am now 58 so doing one subject per semester I will finish just after I turn 60. Who would have thought bunion surgery and University would ever go together!
    • Posted

Fran, you're a Star! It's a good Combo! At least something's getting exercised! smile
  • Posted

That was quick. I must be crazy. It is just past midnight here in Sydney. Talking about talking the mind off the foot, I have also kept up playing clarinet with my band and singing in my choir, which was tonight, and then home, a couple of glasses of white with foot up, then sleep....I have been lucky with friends giving me lifts as we have a Manual car, and it is my left foot so will be a while. More pressure is needed on a clutch pedal than walking...
  • Posted

I am so happy for all of you, who are doing so well.  I have no doubt that eventually my foot will be fine.  I am 13 weeks post op, and wish I had gone on the forum beforehand.  I thought, I guess, that having been a professional ballerina for 14 years, and a runner for 28 yrs., that I would recover quickly.  Like everyone has stated, it takes time. More time than I had thought! All my doc said was "6 weeks no weight bearing." My friends all said, "Joyce, do it, it's only 6 weeks."  It's 13 wks. now and I'm in pain every time I walk, tho I do it anyway, and I started using the elliptical last week. My pain is ankle related, maybe achilles; I've sprained it at one time, my big toe hurts on the bottom when I walk, and my foot is still red and swollen. No shoes fit. I wear "Fit Flops" which many on this forum have mentioned.  They are wonderful and comfortable, and fortunately, I live at the beach, so I can wear them year round. Otherwise, I guess I'd be in trainers of some sort. I'm saying all this because my foot doesn't look any different at this point.  I think once the swelling goes down, it will look better, but the man who does my pedicures says, "Joyce, your foot doesn't look any different."  I wish someone had told me the dark side of this surgery.  So many of you are pleased, that I don't want to be so negative, but I would never do my other foot.  I do blame this poor work on my doctor, because some of my friends have had beautiful surgeries in other citiies.  I'm in th US, so I guess this is what I got "at the beach"....not too great. If I did it again, I'd go to NYC or DC.  Best wishes, Mumbles!!  (Maybe at 6 months, I'll be a happy camper).  
    • Posted

Hi Joyce,  I'm the last person to advise you as I've yet to take the plunge but I really think you should see your GP about this and voice your concern.  If you aren't happy then go with your gut.  

I hope others on the forum would agree.  Many of the post op comments have been about pain but nicer looking feet.  Did you take a before and after photo as this might help.  Anyway if you're not happy see your GP in the first instance and express your concern.  Did you get a hospital number incase of problems as it can be useful to talk to the clinic who treated you.  Let us know how you get on.

best wishes, Mumbles 

• Posted

Oh Joyce you poor thing. I am 4 weeks post op now, and the physio has given me some good exercises to get the toes moving, but they are still very stiff.   Like you I was very fit...yoga, bike riding and walking. I also thought this would aid my recovery. The main advantage for me was that I can balance really well on one leg, so for things like showering it helped.

i took 3 weeks off work, but after that I got another doctors certificate for another 2 weeks....and there was me before the operation thinking I would take 1 week off.

it was taught me to slow down a little and "smell the roses".

and yes after reading all these forum postings, I feel sure he surgeons vary. I am in Sydney and got a referral to one of the best.

and certainly I was also told it would take possibly a year before there was no swelling.

take heart....

• Posted

Hi,

I had the fushion done on both feet on 26th August 2014, I had so much pain the

Second day, then it was more manageable, I had bandages removed on 8th September but ended up back at hospital due to infection in both toes on Friday although

now I can cope most of day without pain killers, so far so good, I can also walk without crutches just have to wear them sandals they provide you with, like many on these forums not been told about any exercises just to move my ankles glad had both done though and go straight toes now, just the time and boredom now

• Posted

I had a big toe fusion and 2nd toe pinned on the 17th June this year. I'm back dancing 3 times a week. I'm not totally pain free because I still have some swelling, but the pain is far less than before operation. I have to choose shoes for comfort and without heels unfortunately but I was expecting this anyway. I sometimes worry I have rushed my recovery but I decided to be guided by my instincts, just hope I'm right.
    • Posted

You are obviously concerned or you wouldn't be posting.  I would check with your doctor as well as using your instinct.  For the sake of a ten minute consultation versus the possibility of undoing the good work, what do you think?  If you trawl through the threads, swelling can continue for over a year and especially if you overdo it!  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi I had my op just over 4weeks ago. I can't enjoy the benefits as it is too early & im still recovering but it is nice to look at my though swollen but most importantly bunion free foot! Each week my foot gets stronger & stronger. I don't rest it as much as I should due to having young children & I went back to my office job2weeks after op. Three would have been better. I feel it has been a succeed but until I can start horse riding & doing Zumba again I won't answer that fully! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.