Bunion operation

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who had their operation at least three to six months ago and how they are doing.  I want to know how much difference the operation has made to your lives! confused

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I had the minimally invasive op on both bunions 3 weeks ago. All is going well so far although one foot is doing better than the other! Due to have kwire so removed in 7days which will make walking much easier. Glad I had both feet done together as it only means one recovery time. I love walking and hope to be OK to start walking again end if May. I bought a cheap wire bed cradle and have really appreciated having my feet free to move in bed! I also have a pillow to put my feet on which works well. I put this op off for years ( I am mid 60s) but decided to go for it when I heard about the MIS op wth quick recovery time etc Will wait till I'm further on before saying definitely go for t!
  • Posted

I had a bunion surgery on my left foot in May 2016 and then the other foot done in October 2016. (I'm in California, the Dr. refuses to do both at once.) I was in trainers within 10 weeks each one. My Dr. insisted no weight on the foot for 6 weeks post op. I had the lapidus procedure for each foot, so my bone had to re-fuse after being cut. I didn't want to risk not having the bone fuse so I cooperated, gladly. I am completely back to all shoes that I want to wear. The only lasting effect I am having is that my feet wake up stiff. I have to do exercises when I wake up to make sure I walk right or else my hips hurt. Be diligent to get strength back, do your exercises. I got lazy on the second foot and it is not as strong. Having my hips bothering me is troublesome.
  • Posted

Hi Mumbles. I had my left foot done bunion cut off and joint bolted and big toe broken bone cut out and stapled 10 weeks ago. The swelling is still bad. The walking difficult which has caused weak ankle and back pain. It was getting me down thinking will it ever heal. This forum has been so reassuring to hear other people's experiences and realising mine is similar and that they got better. I hit a bad patch thinking what have I done will I ever walk properly again so it's good to hear other have. I have to do the other foot is September I could not face it any earlier.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone! I thought i'd share a little about my experience with you here. I had bunion surgery on April 8, 2016 so I'm about a day shy from two weeks. The first 2 days were extremely painful and I couldn't sleep. I also had unbelievable swelling for about 5 days after, however the pain was subsiding. Two weeks out, I have no swelling, barely any pain and the throbbing and blood rushing to my foot is gone completely. I started walking with my weight on my heel 3 days after. I don't want to be premature or jinx it, but my recovery is going well and my doc says that I am far ahead of the recovery schedule. For some perspective, I am an active 19 year old girl. 
    • Posted

Hi!

Don't know if people are still on this thread but I was wondering how you were doing now as you're 9 months post-op! I'm 20 so similar age to you, and had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I've been feeling a bit nervous about recovery as have been in a lot of pain, but your recovery sounded promising! Stupidly I signed up to cycle from London to Paris in July haha, which will be 7 months post-op for me! I was wondering if you could give me any recovery tips/let me know how you were doing at 7 months! Thanks??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.