Bunion Operation

Posted , 117 users are following.

I hope this will help anybody having or thinking of having a bunion operation.

I had my operation on my right foot 4 weeks ago. I had read so many horrific articles about how painful it is etc. etc. I can only speak for myself, I felt some pain for a couple of days which painkillers took care of. After that it was a little uncomfortable for 10 days. After two weeks I went back and had the dressing changed, and apart from the inconvenience of resting my foot for 6 weeks, I would not hesitate in having the left one operated. I still have two weeks to go before I return to the fracture clinic and have the plaster dressing removed. Hopefully then I will be able to start walking again. I was given elbow crutches a black boot to wear when moving about the house, these has been a godsend.

I hope this has helped anybody who is worried about having a bunion operation.

16 likes, 568 replies

568 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I wish you luck with the surgeon you have chosen.

If you do have it done, remember once the plaster comes off that is not the end of it. I had my plaster off last Tuesday, I have a very swollen sore toe which I know is going to take some weeks to settle down.

• Posted

Hello

I hope you are not in too much pain. Was it a key-whole surgey you had? Apparently the newest procedure called " scarf oseptomy is used in London and supposedly it is the least invasive ,,,but there is so little information available from the actual patients that had actally done the procedure

• Posted

Hi I had minimally invasive surgery at the Sussex Orthopaedic Centre Haywards Heath and it has been excellent result.  Mr Joel Vernois is the foot & ankle surgeon and I would thoroughly recommend having the surgery.  Am in my 60s and am really pleased with the result.
    • Posted

Hi MacG - I have been considering David Redfern who I believe along with Joel Vernois worked together on their MIS technique. Do you think the MIS technique is better with a quicker recovery time?  Did you have both feet done at the same time? I can't really find much information on the pros and cons; how did you make your final decision? Were you able to speak to previous patients?  Sorry to bombard you!!
    • Posted

Hi Ninav - did Dr Redfern do your surgery in the end? If so was it done using the MIS teghnique? 
    • Posted

Apologies delay. Mr Joel Vernois did my operation - minimally invasive method which has been fantastic!  Was determined not to have the traditional method done as means cutting further into the foot, more chance of infection and much longer recovery time.  I saw Mr Redfern at Brighton/Sussex University NHS Trust Hospital who referred me to Mr Vernois (Mr Redfern was going on a year's sabbatical).  The foot surgery is done at Sussex Orthopaedic NHS Treatment Centre situated on site of Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath and is most certainly worth the journey!  Surgery was done as day patient under sedation.  Only slight pain when ankle block anaesthetic wore off but otherwise none.  Foot was up for 2 weeks and on crutches for 'necessary ' walking. Also had non weight bearing shoe.No plaster cast just thick bandage, no discomfort.  Difficult to go back and remember think dressing off either after 2 or 4 weeks but still wearing non weight bearing shoe. Recovery straightforward.  Would thoroughly recommend.  Had hammer toe sorted as well.  This year returned had 'arthritic bumps' removed by 
    • Posted

Look under 'minimally invasive bunion surgery' on Google.  Also article in daily Mail Oct 2012. Didn't speak to any other patients just read up about it.  Only needed one foot done but if other needs it will certainly have same method.  Have a lovely straight foot now as before bunion was really ugly & stuck out badly.  
    • Posted

Thank you SO much MacG!  That really helps me with my decision making. I remember the DM article but it is much better to have feedback directly  like yours. I have to have both my feet done so it will be 2 sessions for me. Like you I also have a hammer toe. Going to go for it! 😃
    • Posted

Hi MacG,

I was wondering if you had fully recovered by now from your surgery and from when you started to be fully back to normal?

I am considering having both feet fixed (fifth toe "bunionette" only on each) with the same French doctor that you had. I am 32 and feeling anxious as to whether or not I should do it. Waiting 6 weeks for the healing to occur is completely fine with me since I have mentally prepared myself for it. What I am feeling anxious about is being able to walk normally after the 6-8weeks or soon after and being able to exercise as I used to (fast walking almost daily for about 40min). I am not in pain, it's mostly the discomfort (incl. not being able to wear shoes I like without feeling self-conscious)that I am feeling very often that is pushing me to do something and have the surgery. I had X-rays done and saw twice a French colleague of dr vernois (my surgery will be done in France) but never saw dr vernois. I will see him first the day of the surgery. I have heard he is quite renown which makes me feel reassured but I have also heard bad stories from people who had surgery from drs with a similar profile and were so disappointed.

Any feedback from your experience with dr vernois would be very helpful (he and a colleague I believe will take care of one foot each during surgery). Thanks so much in advance!

• Posted

No I did not have keyhole, but my consultant cut along the side of my feet, so once healed the do not show, I wear fiflops all summer and you could not see on the scar on my right foot, and it will be the same with the left once it is healed.
    • Posted

I'm interested in that.  My podiatrist is a bit young and says that he's only used to doing the top down approach, and that he thinks the scars are less likely to be inflamed by shoes if they're on the top.  What do you think?
  • Posted

Ninav - my cousin (who is 69) had her bunions done last summer and said it was the best thing she ever did. I have bunions and am flat footed and am 47 and have been thinking about it for years but have been put off by the long recuperation period as I work full time and drive a lot. I went to my doctor last week and asked if I could have a consultation with the same doctor. I am in Croydon and she is in Wandsworth but my doctor said he would write and ask for me.

I will let you know how I get on.

By the way -does anyone else have bunions and are also flat footed? not a good combo!

Emis Moderator comment: I have had to remove the details of your doctor as we do not publish personal details such as full addresses and phone numbers in the forums.

• Posted

I'm flat footed (small arch), but have always worn shoes with good arch support.  I think it really helps the bunions, but eventually you have to face the surgery. 
    • Posted

I have had pancake flat feet all my life , mum said I inherited this from her mum .  The small bones in my hands are too looely connected too , I can make the left/right sides of my hands bend to touch each other ( fold in half lengthways ) but am not double jointed - in fact I have poor finger flexibility & stiff joints . I cannot push with my toes & walk slowly .

I had a crossing left big toe & was operated on at 16 , it was a different op in the late 70's . The surgeons wanted to do both then , mum refused . She says her mum , my grandma , had the same feet .The right bunion was much smaller , it has been stable no symptoms for 40 years now suddenly growing . No reason , I haven't changed footwear or lifestyle . It is crossing , I get aches across the flat top of my foot , I can't balance in yoga .  I am hoping to have the op soon , the first at 16 went well . I am taking early retirement in 3 weeks , so I can sit around . I saw the surgeon once , he wouldn't as I had no symptoms then . Now I have plus the other clinics messed around & didn't make an insert for shoes , while it got worse .

• Posted

Hi Linda I am one week post op since my 1st surgery to repair bunion and hammertoe. I am 43 and have been suffering for years with both feet especially after joining Zumba this summer all that heavy hard pounding on the floor with the feet just pushed me right to the doctors office. I am also flat footed too and will need orthodics after I correct the right foot I will definately have them made for my feet and wear them. It's terrible to suffer in pain with the feet. It's killing me that I can't be in the gym daily and its a small fix but a long boring recovery. Best to do it in the winter months so you aren't missing too much, and you will need help. My husband took off 2 weeks to help. I did have fusion and 2-3 pins put in my toe to stablize my foot. The pain is for the first few days however its important you stay off your foot ice it and keep it elevated no walking and no weight bearing pressure to help you heal. I dont recomment doing 2 at once unless you have someone that is going to pick you up and carry you around. Best of luck to you. Let me know after you have your surgery how your recovery is. 
    • Posted

Hi LindaR - I am interested in who did your cousins's bunion as I am 71 and have a bunion on my right foot which is starting to give me trouble now.  I live in Australia but am thinking of coming over to the UK to get the minimal invasive surgery with the wire done and am a bit woriried because of my age.   I have heard of Dr. Joel Vernois and am wondering if that surgeon operated on your cousin's bunion.  It is good to hear your cousin's was such a success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.