Bunion Operation

Posted , 117 users are following.

I hope this will help anybody having or thinking of having a bunion operation.

I had my operation on my right foot 4 weeks ago. I had read so many horrific articles about how painful it is etc. etc. I can only speak for myself, I felt some pain for a couple of days which painkillers took care of. After that it was a little uncomfortable for 10 days. After two weeks I went back and had the dressing changed, and apart from the inconvenience of resting my foot for 6 weeks, I would not hesitate in having the left one operated. I still have two weeks to go before I return to the fracture clinic and have the plaster dressing removed. Hopefully then I will be able to start walking again. I was given elbow crutches a black boot to wear when moving about the house, these has been a godsend.

I hope this has helped anybody who is worried about having a bunion operation.

16 likes, 568 replies

568 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I am 60, but had bunions when I was 30 years old, I was also told by my doctor not to put myself through the operation as it was very painful and you are off your feet for a period of time. I wish I had insisted then to have the op. I had my right one done last summer 2011 and January 4th this year had the left one done. I am now three weeks away from having the cast taken off. I do not think the ops are that painful only perhaps for the first couple of days, but would say more discomfort than pain.

I do know of people who have asked for both to be done at the same time, which I know wish I had done, as you get it all over and done with in half of the time, although it would be very difficult to get around.

All I can say to you is if I knew when I was 30 what it is to be pain free I would have insisted on the op being done. It is wonderful to be able to walk without pain.

Please come back and tell me what you decide in the end and the best of luck.

Sheila

• Posted

Hi MrsSAS. I agree with you on having the op at a younger age - but having had both mine done 7 months ago, I can say that having both done together might not be advantageous to everyone. I was told that I would be fully recovered by 3 months - NOT. I probably expected too much from my recovery and had a lot of difficulties during my recovery. This made me think that something was drastically wrong. (IF ONLY THE PROFESSIONALS WOULD BE HONEST ABOUT THE TRUE RECOVERY OF THESE OPS) My physiotherapist told me the only good thing about having both done at same time is only 1 anaesthetic - but recovery is worse than twice as bad. This was true in my case. Not saying this is true in every case but definitely something to think about. I wouldn't advise anyone to have both done. I feel that I am only now 80% recovered and that is with a lot of hard work and effort to get back to where I am.

• Posted

I'm 27 and just had Bunion surgery almost 2 weeks ago on my right foot. I've always had bunions just because of the way my foot is structured apparently.

I'm a very active person usually, lots of running etc. I used to get a bit of pain after running until I found better running shoes (surprisingly they were the new Nike Free trainers) and I haven't had any problems with my bunions at all; no pain. However MY doctor said I should get them done now to avoid the pain that they would certainly progress to. SO here I am sitting on the sofa on a sunny saturday...

I would think if you are in pain it would definitely be worth doing. Whats 6 to 8 weeks recovery compared to years of pain!

It really hasn't been that bad except for not being able to exercise properly which SUCKS. A bit of pain in the first 2 to 3 days and now I just try and keep it comfortable. Having to wear the ridiculous shoe for so long it the worst part....

• Posted

Hi, I am 21 years old and a college student in the USA. I am a very active person too. I run a lot but I get a lot of pain in my right foot/bunion. The podatrist that I saw told me to put surgery off until the angle of deviation is higher AND I have to have severe pain and quality of life decreases. HOWEVER, I notice that my bunion is already slowly getting worse. The angle of deviation is already increases so why put it off? Do you know what I should do? Who is your doctor? 
    • Posted

Also, my insurance is Kaiser. Do you recommend your podatrist? Please let me know! 
  • Posted

Hi Sheila, and sorry I did not know your name. Thank you both so much for replying, its good to talk to somebody who has actually had it done. Well I went back to my doctor with my infected foot, and I aired my concerns about wanting to have the operation. The big thing for me is that I feel I have a year or so gap because we are hoping to get married and start a family pretty soon and I feel that it would be impossible to have this operation having young children to look after, so I either have it soon or wait for quite a few years. Anyway she said that she isn't prepared to put me forward just yet but if I still feel adamant about having the operation I can come back in 6 months and she will consider it, but gave me antibiotics to deal with the infection that was in my bunion. I am going to think carefully and I probably will go back and ask for it, as you have both made me feel like its not going to affect my lifestyle, and like you said what's a few weeks pain compared to years.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on in 6 months

Jackie

• Posted

It sounds like your practitioner is rather conservative.  If I had an infection in my joint, my Podiatrist (US)  would be rather emphatically telling me  "you need surgery".  Perhaps you could pursue a second opinion on this?  
  • Posted

Good morning, I would say to anybody who has pain get the operation done whatever age. The pain is miserable and once the op is completed you will get back to normal life. I have had both my done over the last 8 months.

Yesterday, I had my plaster cast off, the wound is sorer this time than last, but no two ops are the same. I am sure in a week or two it will be fine. The joint is not at all painful, so it is just skin healing time. I am on elbow crutches now for two weeks and then one crutch for one week. I go back to my consultant in three months. They have now changed having the plaster off to seeing my consultant to three months not a month as it was last time. The sister said my consultant felt the foot was not healed enough in a month. As long as it is done I really do not care. If this second op heals like the first I shall be a very happy bunny.

I hope whatever you decide it will work out for you. I can only say and this is just my opinion, if the bunions hurt have the operation, if they do not then live with them.

Hopefully i shall be back in my walking boots in a few weeks and i shall be off smile.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello,wonderjojo

Could you please advise the name of the surgeon who treated you?Would anyone recommend a good doctor in London?

Thank you

• Posted

I had my op in Cornwall so that would not be any help to you ninav, my consultant was very good, that is why I chose to have my other foot operated on by him.
  • Posted

My Podiatrist did mine but it will be of no use to you unfortunately as I live in the Cayman Islands! He's an english podiatrist called Dr. Ray Anthony.

• Posted

Thank you to all.There seem to be little references on Internet as for the reviews on a good bunion surgeon.I oly found the articles about Dr D Redfern in London
    • Posted

I cannot help re London but for anyone reading this I would recommend Mr Siddique in Newcastle on Tyne

He works in NHS and privately at the Nuffield in Newcastle.

• Posted

Hi. Good to hear that you recommend Mr Siddique as I am having bunion surgery by Dr Siddique in Sept/October on the NHS but in the Nuffield, Newcastle. Don't have a date as yet but seeing him on Friday 5th when I will find out. 

Have you got any suggestions /recommendations?

Many thanks. 

• Posted

I was very happy with him, except perhaps that he gave me no instructions re little exercises I could do afterwards. Like manipulating my toe, or doing 'lunges' to ge the tendons on the back of my LEG moving again so I could walk DOWNSTAIRS easily.  Perhaps ask him about this,

I am now 6 anda half weeks on and can actually wear my old gardening boots and walk comfortably half a mile at least. Was not warned about itching insole beside wound - apparently a histamine reaction to the opm according to internet, Responds well to anti histamine cream.

Please see my other posts re my experience,

• Posted

Hi, I'm currently looking for a surgeon who can sort out my moderate to large bunion & just wondered how you are doing since your surgery? Would you still recommend Mr Siddique in Newcastle on Tyne? Many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.