Bunion Recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am 7 weeks post op now and for the past week I have been attempting to walk again in trainers. I have not found it easy and seem to suffer from pain under tha ball of my foot and all  sorts of aches and pains. Just wonder how other people are getting on and how far ar you able to walk at this stage.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks had the pin out on the 26th.dr put me in a flat shoe now and in walking ok can't pu foot flat down on floor yet still sore under the ball of foot and my foot still swells up
  • Posted

Hi, I am 9 weeks post op and have been weight bearing for 4.5 weeks. I bought some leather clogs in a size bigger and also some flat boots. I'm still walking with a bit of a limp but generally I get around ok. The toe I had fused aches a bit sometimes but other than that I'm nearly back to normal. I went back to work after 2 weeks and have been very lucky that I had no pain at all. I'm using a treadmill for walking slowly and would rather do little and often than push it too much. I've just been trying all my summer sandals on and am really pleased that they all fit ok! Good luck with your recovery. Take it at your own pace and listen to your body. If you need to rest then do. 

Kind regards Sue

• Posted

I am 11 weeks and that ball of foot pain has eased but I remember it felt like walking on a golf ball at first. I am not walking more than a mile or so and find little and often is best and avoid uneven ground and steep slopes. Listen to your body. X
  • Posted

Hi!  I am 9 weeks and have been out of the boot for one wk.  I wear my old sketchers and crocs.  I am struggling to walk without limping as I have that golf ball feeling in the ball of my foot.  Even though it's painful, I walk on the treadmill for 15 min at a time at a slow pace.  Rub and massage my foot and do range of motion exercises as my big toe is very stiff.  At first my foot would swell, but not much now.  It's the hardest part of the recovery process to me.  But I know each day has gotten a little better, and I know it will for you too.  be patient and take care of your foot!  Walk thru the pain as much as you can, cause it does make it easier as the days go by.  I'm going thru this like you and alot of others.  We're not alone!  Will be glad when we're pain free and able to walk and not limp!  Have a good recovery day!
  • Posted

I'm 5 month post op and back at work, I still get pain n discomfort in the area I had surgery on sad doc gave me anti inflammatory which worked, don't expect to be back to normal quickly it will take time xx
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks post op too, I've been walking in trainers for 2 weeks now. Have that nasty pain under the ball of my foot when I'm walking too. Haaa thought it was just me!! I've been trying out thick cushioned soled socks to wear in my trainers, they've really helped, might try out comy inner soles too. I walk a little further each day, it really does get better. Wish you a really good recovery. 
    • Posted

Hi Bee it is nice to find someone at the same stage of recovery. It is a good idea about putting cushioned insoles into trainers to cushion them but I cannot get into my normal trainers and I am wearing extra wide canvas trainers from Wider Fit shoes. I even had to take the insoles out of them so my foot would fit into them. I had 2 toes straightened as well as bunion surgery. I sometimes get strange aches in the top of my foot as well. Do you get those as well. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end!
    • Posted

Hi Christine,it's great to be able to compare isn't it, keep updating, be good to know you're recovering well. But poor you, sounds as though you're foot's quite swollen. Reckon you could probably wear the cushion sole socks ok with your trainers, they really have helped me. Got mine in Primark of all places!! Guess M&S etc do them too.I do get aches on the top of my foot and the alarming sudden shooting sharp ones where the Bunion Devil sticks a red hot pin into your foot!! But I'm sure it will definately worth it. 
  • Posted

Do you find the more they swell the pain level increases ?

Mine swell

At the end of the day and pain increases although I had a slightly different surgery.

• Posted

Hi my foot is still very swollen all of the time. The pain and discomfort does seem worse in the evening. Perhaps it is caused by walking. I chose a podiatric surgeon because I was advised that they did more fore front surgery than orthopaedic surgeons. It took me 7 years to go through with this operation and I saw 4 consultants before going through with the operation. Things have gone to plan so far but I worry about all of the strange pains I am getting in my foot. I am only just over 7 weeks so I realise that it is still early days. Just hope that it will be worth it in the end. What type of surgery did you have ?
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

I had bilateral decompressive osteotomies on both Metatarsals for Hallux Ridgidis. It was done by a Podiatric Surgeon in London. I believed these people were medical doctors because of the title surgeon. Though this title is not protected by law. Since I've had to have some revision surgery by a Orthopaedic Foot and ankle Surgeon.

I'm not here to run people's choice of surgeon down. I'm just not sure everyone knows there is a difference.

I'm 7-8 weeks post revision and mainly get swelling in the evening. I have had intensive physio and hydrotherapy which has helped with range of motion. Though still suffer bouts of pain just hope this is post op pain from 2 lots of surgery and will pass in time

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you have needed to have revision surgery and hope that the operation will be successful.

It certainly is a very difficult journey. I just have to remember that most people are pleased with the end result

• Posted

Did your surgeon give you a recovery timescale? And are you doing range of motion exercises?
    • Posted

Did not have a specific recovery time table but I think about 12 weeks. Was told that the best physiotherapy was walking so that is all I am doing. Movement seems to be coming back into my big toe despite sweĺling. How about you?
    • Posted

Christine,

Podiatrist was unrealistic during consultations about recovery then post op changed his stance.

Ortho much more realistic and suggested proper physio and Hydro which has been beneficial for range of motion. Still suffer aches and pain just hope they disperse with time!

• Posted

Think we have to stay positive and elevate and ice when necessary.

Nice to hear how others are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.