Bunion removal surgery and metal pins question

Posted , 23 users are following.

I had a bunion removed on December 23, 2013. A slice of the big toe was removed (primarily the bunion) and two pins were inserted for stability.

After two months I started to experience pain when walking, and can center it around the location of the pins. My podiatrist made the suggestion yesterday that it might require the removal of the pins, but wants me to try physical therapy first.

Question is, has anyone else encountered this? I'm 47 now. Before the surgery I was fairly active, playing soccer (football) up to four times a week, as well as basketball. I'm worries about extending the recovery time, and the ensuing changes that make returning to my prior activities.

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A follow up. I had three visits with the physical therapist, but no luck in removing the pain (mostly in the ball of the foot).

Visited with the podiatrist today, and she has no idea what could be causing it. She said the x-rays look perfect. The only suggestion.......some people take longer to heal.

I'm really frustrated at this point. I was good up until two months post-op, than this pain started. I'm now at 6 months, and have been told it can take as long as a year. It really doesn't sound right.

I was basically told to buy special custom made orthotics for $200, something she's been pushin since I first saw her well over a year ago. She also said that removing the pins now might aggrivate the bone too much. The only other thought was cortosone shots, but from the side effects I've read about, that isn't the best option (especially if this turns out to be a bone problem).

I'm tempted to request a second opinion, but as I'm with Kaiser (and everything is 'in house'), don't want to risk offending her.

• Posted

It sounds as though a second opinion would definitely be in order.  It is your well being at stake here....it is your body.  If the second opinion concurs. then that will relieve your worry.  If it doesn't, then you may find your solution.  Go for it ! smile

• Posted

Diagoro, 

I gad major bunion surgery right foot 2008 and left foot 2009. Screws and J hooks and the whole works. I had the screws removed in my right foot a few shirt months following the initial surgery due to one of the screws popping up. I've had no issues with my right foot since. I gad the screws removed in my left foot just this summer due to one of the screws starting to come up. All if these screw issues were confirmed in x-rays by my orthopedic doc. I too have had issues with pain in the balls of my feet prior to surgery, but not even close to as bad now that the screws are out. Prior to the screws being removed it was painful to walk on hardwood floors in my bare feet. I have inserts from Good Feet and they really help when I'm on long fitness walks. I wore custom orthotics prior to my surgeries due to plantar fasciitis which I no longer have issues with. I would suggest you see a good orthopedic foot doc. Don't worry about offending your podiatrist. No one doc has a total lock on all of the knowledge in their field. When your feet hurt, you hurt right through the top of your head. Courage man, get a second opinion. 

• Posted

Finally had that second opinion, and glad I did. My faith is a bit shaken, and still keeping an open mind. But symptoms and suggested issue have more relation than before.

This podiatrist took a look at the xrays and noticed some swelling on one of the sesamoid bones under the ball of my foot. These are xrays from 4 months ago, no idea how my primary podiatrist missed this at least twice!

I'm not sure what caused this, and wonder if it had existed before my bunion surgery (the pain is in a similar place). But moving on, from the research I've done, it looks like the only real remedy is total rest.

• Posted

Diagoro I got my surgery done in 2014 and I left screw in mine. Decided to do so cause I was advised the bunion could grow back. I had the option to remove, but the surgery was so painful I just keep them, wrong decision. The metal is causing me sooo much pain and discomfort. Plus, I like to wear heels and removed bunion for better comfort. Also, it's causing a corn, bruise or something on top of big toe and can't wear certain shoes if press on toe. I can't wear narrow heels 😔 at all. My feet get numb standing too long, the cold stiffen toe and can't move foot. Getting mines removed expeditiously. If bunion grow back it was know were near current foot problems.

• Posted

Erica,  

I had surgery 5 weeks ago - besides bunion, I had pin in 2nd toe to straighten it - pin was removed yesterday.   I have had severe pain this whole 5 weeks, and still.     Dr took my boot off finally and wants me to start using a supportive athletic shoe now ...but the muscles (feels like muscles?) feel really sore still AND I swear I can feel the metal screws in my foot (even though by appearances I wasn't sure they were there) and it feels like the bone that was cut (filed?) feels just like that ...a bone that was filed.   My Dr says everything LOOKS good and he's not sure why I would still be in so much pain ...but I AM.    I haven't used prescription pain killers for the last 2 weeks because he's been wanting me to do more "over the counter" pain relief.   I didn't mind because I really don't want to rely on the narcotics either.    But I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO - but feel like he doesn't understand, nor does my husband.  It's a very LONELY feeling.   sad.         Please tell me it gets better?    

• Posted

Hi,

I had bunionectomy surgery nearly 2 years ago then physical therapy for 6 weeks. My doctor had to put 2 screws and sn implant in my big toe. Things were going fine til I started getting a pain in that toe as I walked. My doctor X-ray'd my toe and she said it appears the one of the screws MAY be the issue. I just had surgery to remove the screw and although she doesn't want me to put pressure on the toe, I have had ZERO pain from this surgery. I go back to her in s few days to change my dressing. I've been able to drive and go back to work so hopefully my pain will be gone for good.

• Posted

How did you go after the screws were removed? I’m 6 months post surgery and cannot still walk without pain on one foot.,I’m certain it’s the screws but it’s too early to have them removed as X-rays show the bone hasn’t fused yet 
  • Posted

I ALSO HAD A PIN PUT IN MY FOOT AFTER A BUNION REMOVAL..IM CONCERNED AS WELL BECAUSE I AM A DIABETIC N IT SEEMS LIKE ITS TAKING A LONG TIME TO HEAL! ITS GOING ON TWO MONTHS! SO I UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION! BECAUSE I PERSONALLY IS STRUGGLING WITH WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD HAVE THE PIN REMOVED!
    • Posted

Yes, I had the screw removed and no pain. I’m now experiencing another issue with my toe. When I had the original surgery (bunionectomy & implant) well my tiebreaker hurts all the time. I’ve started walking 5 to 10 miles per day and my foot hurts and swells. I don’t know what I’m going to do but I think the issues is when my doctor pinned my toe up she pinned it too high. Long story short, my big toe is as stiff as a board and didn’t touch the ground. 

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for the information.  I just put a shoe...big enough to fit so I can drive,then switched to boot.  I was given permission.  I went to work out, only could do my upper half.

i like to know how do they remove the pins.  I do not have pin in my big toe, it's on the side where the bunion was.  Do I have to go back under to have those remove?  I am scared and like you still ,having trouble with the toe!  I been rubbing the foot and moving the toe at least 3 times a day.    Having trouble with the nerves.

• Posted

I also have this.problem..i am scheduled to have the.rod removed.this.week.
  • Posted

Hi

iam new on the site. Had surgery (bunion) it's 8 weeks .  Iam still wearing boot. My question is do they remove the pins?  if so Is it painful?   My big toe feels like it has something in side rubbing.  I am not replying to anyone.  I am looking for some information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.