Bunion removal surgery and metal pins question

Posted , 23 users are following.

I had a bunion removed on December 23, 2013. A slice of the big toe was removed (primarily the bunion) and two pins were inserted for stability.

After two months I started to experience pain when walking, and can center it around the location of the pins. My podiatrist made the suggestion yesterday that it might require the removal of the pins, but wants me to try physical therapy first.

Question is, has anyone else encountered this? I'm 47 now. Before the surgery I was fairly active, playing soccer (football) up to four times a week, as well as basketball. I'm worries about extending the recovery time, and the ensuing changes that make returning to my prior activities.

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had surgery 3 months ago. It was a bunion removal with a plate and 6 screws inserted and a bone graft, also had a crossover toe ( next to the big toe ) straightened. The toe has a screw in the middle of it. I was not able to walk for 10 weeks, meaning no weight bearing. My Dr told me it could be up to a year before the foot is back to normal. Currently I am walking, mostly wearing a shoe from Dr office’s office. The long term Instructions were non existence. It remains somewhat painful when walking and it swells a lot. Swelling decreases some what when elevated and when iced. Any thoughts on what to expect and when I can be pain free and wear a shoe?? 

Has anyone who had a plate and screws inserted needed to have it removed and why? Would appreciate any help. Thank you

• Posted

I had surgery July the 28th and everything went well the recovery and healing process was less than I expected but about a month ago I started expericing sharp pains when I walk and like a burning tingling sensation so and as weeks goes by its getting worse I realize that its my pins causing the pain so my thought like me I am hoping he will remove the pins and that take care of the pain.Thanks and good luck!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.