Bunion surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm due to have bunion surgery in 15days, I'm so nervous an worried about pain and recovery, I'm really active and love the gym,i really want to get back to normal asap, any tips, tricks or recovery methods and advice,i would appreciate so much, I will update asap thank guys x

3 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There is some pain involved but its not as bad as say back pain, or even bad toothache, more like headache of the foot with occasional 'twinges'. It is worth it. The fitness part was an issue as I did not want to lose my 'Gym' level of fitness, if you know what I mean. You can still do some exercises, sit ups, press ups on knees, upper body stuff but obviously nothing to do with feet e.g. lunges. An  upper body work out does help to keep fitness maintained. However I did gain about 2.5 kg, over the weeks of relatively low activity. I'm back to normal afterwards though and doing same Gym work as before-- including lunges, body combat, full press ups, even modern dance. My foot is much better than pre-op. I'm saying all this to give a few ideas and re-assure you. Work out your own exercises, just don't spend long periods standing. Also attempt to eat slightly less or just accept you will gain a little weight. Kevin
    • Posted

Hey Thanx for this, I do body attack grit and body tone ,similar types of work out's I will miss an Thanx for pain advice, I have been looking for strong pain killers to help ease pain, and I am worried about the weight gain so I will be looking to stick to a diet that won't tip the scales, but llike u say I may have to totally accept the weight gain Thanx kevin great advice 
  • Posted

Hi Miss Badass,

I am hoping to have  both my feet done in December (minimally invasive).  I have joined the FB 'I survived a bunionectomy' group which is also very helpful; so many different stories btw as you have probably discovered. There is a girl in this group by the name of Brittany Lovelace.  She is a fitness intructor and had both feet operated on.  She has uploaded a few videos for upper body excercises that I think you will find very helpful.  Good luck! You just need to psyche yourself up and try and be as relaxed as possible about it.  I am starting to mentally prepare myself from now!!

• Posted

Hey there this is great Thanx for the advice, I believe they are doing one then hopefully two weeks or so later the other will be, I think iim more worried about the noises and that injecting the ankle, which freaks me out, but I have been definitely been preparing my self I have started taking vitamins etc,getting it in ready for action, I have added that group waiting on acceptance, absolutely fab advice, and you also. Be relaxed I'm just dreaming of nice feet and shoes lol, it's funny how bunions affect you, my lunges are non existant  my feet do not land right, so looking forward to getting back in to that I tell ya 😊😊
  • Posted

Hi there

I can totally relate to the nervousness...  I was shaking when I was waiting for the procedure but in all honesty, the actual procedure was so much easier than I expected.  They told me I could take Atavan (an anti-anxiety medication) prior to the procedure to relax me.  I'd recommend asking if you can get a prescription for that beforehand and if you get the go-ahead, ask about taking it an hour before so it really has a chance to kick in (didn't kick in for me until afteward - will take it earlier when I have the other foot done in the spring).

Your surgeon may also allow you to have earbuds with music in the operating room.  Mine did and it helped me a LOT.  During the procedure, when I started to hear instruments, I cranked the volume (figured I could worry about ear damage later - LOL!).

The surgery was over faster than I expected and I managed the pain well with Percocet (Oxycodone) and Celebrex for the first few days and kept it elevated as high as I could (even over my head with tons of pillows, lying down).  Then just needed x-strength Tylenol at night for about a week after that. 

As for weight gain, I really thought I'd balloon but it turned out I actually lost a little weight (the meds made me a bit nauseous) during the first couple of weeks even though I couldn't weight bear.  I think the fact that things take a lot more effort while recovering (like taking a shower/making a meal, generally getting around your home) may use up more calories than usual.

good that you can have both done at the same time - will you have a heel-type boot? 

Good luck and keep us "posted"!

• Posted

Hey there thanx so much, I will check out that anti anxiety thing as I am a little nervous he did say I could have music so Deffo will be cranking up that volume, lol,i love that you lifted it over your head, funnily enough I have been practicing this lol, the advice is fab on here love it thanx I feel so positive with everyones posts it's reasuring 👍
  • Posted

Hi I had bunion surgery and a hammer toe correction on my left foot yesterday

I am also really sporty loving yoga etc 

I was preparing myself for the worse and not really knowing what to expect

My surgery was under local anaesthetic it was absolutely pain free but felt a little weird

I had very manageable pain levels all night and today

I was dreading the stairs but managed on my bum

Not very dignified and I've showered with my legs sticking right out the shower and sat on a plastic garden chair. Again not exactly a spa day but at least I'm clean

You must not get the dressing wet at all!!!

So far so good

Tips

Keep water and meds next to your bed or chair

And maybe a few snacks 

Keep a carrier bag next to u for rubbish

I'm using a running belt to carry water bottle in bcos when ur on crutches you can't carry anything

Use ice packs regularly and take meds regularly to keep the pain at bay and get up

On your crutches heel walking 5 mins every hour

Good luck xxx its gonna be a slow process but hopefully not painful 

• Posted

Wow this Is fab advice, I have a bag of meds, not worked on the snacks yet I'll shop for things Sunday as the op is Thursday, I feel so strange lol wat ave I put myself in for 🙈🙈 ,I aam worried about the walking after keep thinking how will I cope, 
  • Posted

There seems to be a couple of themes running here........nearly all of us are active people who do gym classes, yoga walk , cycle.....and that is one reason we have the op in the first place, so that after recovery we can continue being active......I was in a lot of pain beforehand, and I just put up with it, so now I am 10 weeks post op. Have been doing some yoga and body balance, though I don't balance very well at all on the fat foot.   And the putting on weight thing....I found in the early stuck in bed weeks, once everyone had left the house it was all to hard getting down the stairs to the kitchen with crutches etc. I kept a large Tupperware upstairs with little packets aof cheese and biscuits and some fruit and snacks and poppa juices etc. so probably ate less.

you must have had the op by now...how are you miss p badass?

• Posted

Hey there Thanx alot for the advice I'm a real fond gym goer an like u say after a few years of pain I need to get it done,no I'm still here op is Thursday eeeek 
    • Posted

Good luck for Thursday. One last piece of advice make sure you get good post op instructions as there is different advice for different procedures. Ask about when to walk, how long for. Do you need to wear surgical shoe at all times if just for walking. If using shoe do u still need to concentrate on heel walking or will shoe take care of that. When can u start to wiggle toes and how many times day. How high should you elevate. Also take care of your back I had quite severe low back pain this week partly due to inactivity and partly due to elevating and lying differently in bed. Ensure u know what pain killers you need an d how to take them I got if codeine has ed d very quickly as I do not like how they make me feel but everyone us different.
  • Posted

It is better to take yr pain killers at diff times to give you good cover. E.g paracetamol 6 hrly at 6,12,6,12. Anti inflammatory at 8 4 and10 if prescribed 8 hrly. And codeine or tramadol in between that. Best wishes to u and yr lively straight feet. X
  • Posted

Oh one more thing I have lost 4 kg since my surgery crutches are hard work , I too am trying to get fit again was always very active with swimming cycling and walking and sport . Last 5 years been very difficult due to two partial knee replacements and now this so have put on a lot if weight hoping I can now finally say goodbye to it as my bunion was the last thing standing in the way of me getting back to full exercise regime. Should also help with correcting any remaining imbalances.
  • Posted

Right I am here waiting to go down, sitting here in a gown waiting for th local to be administered x
    • Posted

Ah you in recovery now. Hope you ok remember your bunion buddies are here to support you through your first couple of weeks. I will keep an eye on your posts. Think of your new pretty pain free feet. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.