Bunion surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys,

I had bunion surgery what the surgeon called left foot scarfe osteotomy of 1st metatarsal with akin osteotomy of hallux. I had this 6 days ago and I'm surprised that I'm not really in much pain now. I can't put weight on my foot though and I can't put it down or stand for long (on crutches) without a strange feeling and like throbbing. I was just wondering how other people found the recovery process and roughly how long was taken off work etc?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I am about the same as you. I am now 4 days post op and had a similar operation on my right foot. Do not have too much pain now and only taking the occasional pain killer. Do you have a heel weight bearing shoe to get around in?
    • Posted

Hiya,

Yes I do its like a shoe with velcro straps but I have only managed like 3 steps on my heel and now use crutches because its easier and less painful! Are you managing to walk at all?

• Posted

Hi, I ha bunion removed and four hammer toe surgery on the 20th Jan.  I took painkillers for the first day and didnt need them after that  much to my surprise!  I could wiggle my toes a bit with no pain.. The last couple of days I have had what i can only describe as between a sharpe itch sounds weird but it makes me  jump i have been told this is normal and is a sign everythng is getting back to normal. going to get the dressing changed tomorrow and looking forward to seeing my new foot, I feel I could go back to work but will look at my foot tomorrow and listen to it before I commit myself to going back.  I walked on my heel on day two so have been very lucky so far, i also have been taking arnica and extra calcium, good luck !
    • Posted

Hiya,

Blimey you're doing really well!! So would that be about a month off for you? Does your foot swell or hurt if you leave it down?

• Posted

yeah been off for three weeks and a day but must admit as i work full time and never take sick leave i have enjoyed the last week doing stuff indoors like iron two items sit down peel a few spuds sit down biggrinfor two weeks my foot felt really swollen in the evening  not enough for ice packs  but felt tight under the plaster cast since taking arnica it seems to have gone down hopefully has helped bring the bruising out you MUST keep your foot elevated apart from feeling more comfortable, its a must to prevent blood clots very dangerous ! look after it and do what you would tell someone else to do "feet up" and higher than your heart
    • Posted

Sounds like you've got it all sorted! Yes i am keeping it up but not sure how long I'm meant to keep the foot elevated for! See i'm having my first dressing change tomorrow so intrigued to see what it looks like!
    • Posted

I also have crutches which I use with the heel weight bearing shoe

I can walk to the bathroom and managed to make a cup of coffee but it is not easy and I have been advised not to go out for the first two weeks. I am just sitting and resting most of the time

I think my first outing will be to the hospital next Tuesday to have my dressing changed.

• Posted

When you walk to the bathroom do you need your crutches? Mine will be for my dressing change tomorrow too. I have literally been sitting with my leg raised even sleeping with my leg raised!
    • Posted

Yes I use the crutches and wear the heel weight bearing shoe. That was the advice I was given. I also am sitting with my leg elevated and sleeping with my foot raised on pillows. I did buy a bed wedge to keep my foot elevated at night but I have not found it very comfortable though so I use pillows instead. Hope all goes well with your dressing change. Mine is not until next Tuesday.

I find the shoe quite uncomfortable because it is tender on top of the foot and there is a very thick dressing. I also had a crooked toe straightened. I just hope that it will all be worthwhile

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Thank you I hope yours goes well too! Glad to hear you're doing similar to me and yes the bandages are very thick! I keep getting odd kind of pins and needles sensations and a heavy feeling!

• Posted

Hello Beth.

Everything you describe is absolutely normal.

The days of patients being left in total agony following this type of surgery are now very much a rarity.

The excrutiating pain we were previously led to expect are kept very much under control with modern pain relief.

I had my left foot bunion ( aka Hallux Valgus) in November 2013 and was pleasantly surprised that I had none of the pain I was expecting. I also had a hammer toe correction of the 2nd toe done at the same time on the same foot. I had my other foot operated for bunion correction in October 2014. Both have been very successful and relatively pain free.

Like you I experienced tightness and throbbing if my foot was lowered for too long but this soon eased when the foot was elevated above groin level.

The main thing to remember is that you need to keep off your feet for 50 minutes out of each hour for the first couple of weeks. After this time you still need to be very careful as the least bit of extra stress will make the throbbing and tightness recur.

The surgery does  carry with it a very long recovery period of up to 12 months in total and it's vitally important that you do not  overdo things once you begin to feel that you are on the road to recovery. Your feet take an awful lot of 'hammer' as they are the final point of load bearing for your body and as soonb as you stand up all the body weight is taken by the feet.

Keep on being careful, resting for as much as you possibly can and don't be too eager to get your feet back into your ordinary shoes because the foot will very likely be reluctant to bedn and be quite stiff with some discomfort for many, many weeks.

I was almost 4 months before I felt totally comfortable in my shoes. I always wear flats.

You may also experience a balance problem as you re-adapt to your previous walking gait. You may also get pain and twinges as the ligaments and tendons realign and heal.

Rest, care  and patience are key elements to successful recovery following this type of surgery.

Good luck.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

Wow that was brilliant thank you! I'm hoping to be back at work in about 6 weeks but I will be taking it slowly, I feel very lazy like I should be doing more!! How long was it until you could walk normally again?

• Posted

I had scarfe osteotomies on both feet done last week and a left foot hammertoe correction and to be honest I was expecting lots of pain but like yourself, its been more discomfort than anything -  throbbing and aching - than real pain. I withdrew medication last Saturday thinking all was great but  I've had to have some tonight as sharp pains across the joints have been happening for last 2 hours and its wearing.  Other than that its been quite OK considering I dont 'have any leg to stand on".  There is a mild throb when I hobble upstairs on to the bathroom but nothing that usually can't be managed.  I have been told that recovery is  a minimum of 6 weeks non weight bearing.  The pin for the hammertoe won't be removed until week 6 also.  It could take longer. After which you can return to work either,  progressively phased if your role is particularily standing and moving in nature or perhaps BAU if more desk based.

Hope this helps !

• Posted

Thanks for your comment! It's strange because I've heard people say how excruciating it is yet I haven't had loads of pain and when i did it was manageable just uncomfortable!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.