Bunion surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys,

I had bunion surgery what the surgeon called left foot scarfe osteotomy of 1st metatarsal with akin osteotomy of hallux. I had this 6 days ago and I'm surprised that I'm not really in much pain now. I can't put weight on my foot though and I can't put it down or stand for long (on crutches) without a strange feeling and like throbbing. I was just wondering how other people found the recovery process and roughly how long was taken off work etc?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Beth ; I just had my surgery today, bunionectomy, hammertoe, tendon transfer, and took out roots in big toe for ingrown toe nails. I'm in agony pain wise. How long before your initial surgical pain diminished? Thank you and I'm saying prayers for continued healing for you 😊
    • Posted

Hi Molly,

Sorry to hear you're in agony! If i'm honest I took constant pain killers every 4 hours for the first 3 days. I was in tears a few times with the pain! But the painkillers I had seemed to make me so sleepy after I took them( almost like knocking me out!) so I slept a lot which helped with the pain! I had mins done 8 days ago now and honestly the pain does get better. I'm not really taking painkillers anymore, and haven't been since day 4. Every day is different, some days are good and now some days I get like sharp stabbing pains in my foot. I can't put any weight on it still but had dressings changed yesterday and all looks good!

I would call the hospital (I did a few times at first!) and let them know of the pain they may be able to give you something different. They can also prescribe anti sickness meds if the painkillers make you feel sick!

Hang in there! Time is an amazing healer I promise!

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your text and encouragement. I am at day 7 now, and it is much better. I had the dressing changed yesterday, and it wasn't too bad. I am still no weight bearing for another 2 weeks, but I'm learning how to manuver on one leg.  I am grateful for this blog and all our bunion patients to talk with, for the first few nights, reading and writing on the blog is what got me through. Just knowing that someone had experience with this surgery/ recovery, and knowing it would get better, meant the world to me. I hope your sharp pains are not happening anymore and that you are feeling better. Blessings, Debbie 

• Posted

Heyyyyyy Beth, For goodness sake, slow down, what's your hurry? Please stay off your feet as much as you can for the first two weeks at least and elevate that foot to above heart level for most of the day. A whole team of medical professionals have used their fantastical skills to reconstruct your foot for you so the least you can do is to take care of yourself, to get a good result. You must do as you as

you've been told. If you don't, all their hard work will have been a complete waste of time. There is a good reason why you are told to elevate that foot. Forgive me but it sounds like you have not done much research into this operation? Did you read much about what the procedure entails and about the recovery and what to expect? Did you look on youtube at the videos of the Scarf Akin Bunion operations. This is a very intricate and skilful procedure. There are also lots of websites which will give you information on what to expect etc. this forum is excellent too so get and read some of the past posting from those of us that have already had it done. I am now at 8 weeks and am still elevating my foot whenever it aches and swells - and it still does at times. I did as I was told though and because I elevated the foot as much as possible I have had a really good result. Last week at 7 weeks I began driving again and supermarket shoppin. This week I am walking the the dog once more (slowly). A good recovery is up to you Beth but please don't jeopardise that by doing too much too soon. Patience is crucial. Best wishes.LadyPink

• Posted

Hi Lady Pink,

I am elevating my foot every hour of every day! Literally the only time it isn't elevated is when I go to the loo! I'm feeling very lazy if I'm honest but yeah I know I need to be patient I just get frustrated!

My surgeon did tell me though after a week I need to be moving around into every room in my house (on the lower floor) but I'm struggling to do this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.