Bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had bunion surgery and repair to second toe 7 weeks ago, no longer wear the ortho shoe started swimming this week and have had 2 buy shoes for extra wide but my foot is still swollen and more so by the end of day has anyone else experienced this ? Luckily I am signed off work for 4 months as surgeon felt as a nurse should make sure ok before I go back

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HELLO Denise

I had surgery 9 Feb, Today I had my bandages off YIPPEE. I walked 1/2 a mile to a coffee shop and 1/2 mile back; gingerly! I have massive of dry flakey skin on the foot, which I have avoided washing yet! I will do before bed. I guess exfoliating comes gingerly ... What is your experience. I had mild bunion, mallet toe reduction and hammer toe addressed. I got into my trainers but noticed that foot slightly snug. So I am 1/2 a week behind you

• Posted

My bandages where only on for 4 weeks I'm getting out and about but my foot is broader than ever I have had to buy eye fitting but still feel a little tight I too had lots of dry skin but I soaked my foot or showered each day once bandages were off and used loads of emollients/ foot lotions and all dry skin gone I no longer take regular analgesia just occasional now other than that I'm doing good 
  • Posted

Wow...lucky you, four months! I too am a nurse and had to go back within 7 weeks even though not completely healed at all. I guess the rest of the healing will occur while am working. Could have used a little more time out since I not only had the bunion done but also the tendos cut on each side for painful problems with heel spur
    • Posted

I know I am lucky but I'm never off get 6 months full pay when off sick  don't you ? so is your foot still swollen
    • Posted

I took sick time too. But somehow my Dr decided to ok me for work. He knows am still healing. Anyway, I will have to have the metal pins removed in six months from surgery so at least can still have some extra sick days left to use for another week or two for that surgery
    • Posted

My pins are staying in in both toes so no more ops gladly 
    • Posted

Good. I asked my Dr why he had to.remove them and he said he prefers to ( who knows why...). He just says it is better for me. Maybe because 10 weeks after the surgery am still not totally ok. Close but not fully.
  • Posted

I had bunion and hammer toe surgery 4 days ago. I have heared that swelling after a day on feet my last foe several weeks unfortunately. 

• Posted

Hello Nellie

I had hammertoe, bunion and mallet toe surgery 9 Feb. At last yesterday I had bandages off and walked 1 mile gingerly. Today I just "walked" around Waitrose. Foot scabby with masses of dry skin and today stiff and swollen. I am doing the bunion toe exercises. My husband wants us to go on holiday but I won't enjoy unless foot much better. We are due back to grandchild sit 11 April. 

• Posted

Hi Brenda how long was it before you had your wire removed from your toe? Did it hurt? 

• Posted

I had the 2  wires removed at 4 weeks and 2 days later. It was a turning point. Surprisingly did not hurt!! I was ready for it with my online bridge in hand which takes my mind off ANYTHING but I did not even open the ap!
    • Posted

Did you have to go through general anesthesia (or sedation?) all over again or just local while awake? How long did it take? How long do you have to be out if work on rest? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Maria

I was advised to have GA as two procedures. k wire is removed without any analgesia and I had been advised to have 8 weeks off, as I have a heavy manual job, I will need phased return too.

• Posted

I was surprised that I was told to have a general (on the day!) as the consultant said it would be more difficult and he would have to apply a tourniquet if I wanted a local. So I had a general. It took me ages to come out of the general. I went to theatre at 1030 and left the lovely private hospital (on NHS) at 530. I cannot see anyone going back to work until after 8 weeks. I am nearly 7 weeks post op and walking gingerly and doing the dreaded toe exercises, well just started as bandages were off only yesterday
    • Posted

I went into theatre at 1000 and was home at 1400 ! I felt I was rushed out and made to mobilise from trolley to chair too soon. I just wanted to get home s I felt awful. Ive had GA's before but I slept in the car going home but inself really getting up so soon, I didnt like to complain sad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.