Bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had bunion surgery and repair to second toe 7 weeks ago, no longer wear the ortho shoe started swimming this week and have had 2 buy shoes for extra wide but my foot is still swollen and more so by the end of day has anyone else experienced this ? Luckily I am signed off work for 4 months as surgeon felt as a nurse should make sure ok before I go back

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks post op and still stuck on the sofa.

My feet are so swollen and sore and am having to still ice them.

I feel so upset and thought after 6 weeks I would be able to walk more.

how long until the swelling goes down ?????

• Posted

Oh dear Robyn have you had both feet done? Ive not used ice yet as only 5 days post op, I have not even removed the boot for fear of leavingk wire more likely to catch...
    • Posted

Poor Robyn. I don't know exactly what you had done but I had mild bunion, hammertoe and mallet toe surgery. Right foot. I am 6 1/2 weeks post op and I walked 1 mile today. Yes I cannot walk properly. Very slowly and bending that foot is not totally natural. I thought I would take a pill before I walk next time to get a more even gait. The foot is swollen
    • Posted

Hi Robyn, so sorry to hear you are still so swollen! I am three weeks post-op and I iced relgiously every hour for first week! In first few days I iced even twice/ hour and first few days elevated 100% of time My doctor said that its inflammation and swelling that causes the pain - and healing will happen quicker if I keep the swelling down. I feel good now and I think the bones may now be fusing as I don't hear that nasty clicking anymore when walking. Didn't the doctor tell you to use ice at all?? I think you need to and often!! Good luck, hang in there and keep us posted!
    • Posted

Hi Susan, my surgeon said not to ice after week 3 which I find crazy. My foot still swells anytime I do anything so you think ice would help. He said it would not have much effect now but I find this contradictory to what others ate told
    • Posted

Hi Pauline yes I have not iced since first week... I think that that is true advice however lots of icing early was I think key to keeping my swelling down.  Honestly I have had a very positive experience and I am so sorry to hear so many on this forum having a tough recovery.... 
    • Posted

Hi Susan, glad you are having a positive experience. Last time I saw my surgeon he said the swelling was OK. You don't really realise how your whole foot swells until you try to put a shoe on. I am in men's trainers one and a half sizes bigger than my normal and my foot fills them after a couple of hours. You would think ice would help even at this stage?.

Good luck with your recovery, you are very lucky. 👍

• Posted

Dear nellie8 Where did you have your surgery done? I am 2+ weeks post bunionectomy on both feet ( minimally invasive) with k wires in place for another 10 days. One foot is definitely more comfortable than the other! I have more redness ans some numbness in one foot but thankfully little pain. Well healed wounds but can't wait for wires to be removed! Hope you are get on well.
    • Posted

Hi Hillybilly -Nottingham Treatment Centre a week ago today!. How about you? I had right fot bunion and 2nd toe straightened, dissolvable sutures and should be sent an appointment for dressing change for the 2nd week. I am worried that  haven't used ice, pain has been minimal ( after 2-4th days) elevation had certainly made foot comfortable. 

• Posted

Hi, I am 9 weeks post op for Taylors bunion and 2 toe straightenings.

Still can't walk more than a few yards without pain and swelling.

Was told recovery would be 8 to 10 weeks.

Not likely.

I am a post woman and can't imagine walking properly again.

Feeling very dispondant

• Posted

Pauline, 

we will just have to keep each other going !

i had both feet done and all my toes straightened with k wires used.

I also feel like I will never walk properly again !

hell this is one hello a op !!!!!!

• Posted

Oh dear I am only a weekpost op left foot bunion and 2nd toe straighteng with a k wire. I told my manager I would be back at work in 6-8 weeks working 11.5 hour shifts!

I've looked at peoples YOU TUBE blogs post op and they have all been quick recoveries...what have I done?

• Posted

Hi Robyn, wow both feet, can't imagine that, I am struggling with one being done. I worry about work and how I am not as far forward as I expected I would be. In my job I obviously have to be able to walk long distances every day. I feel like I will never be able to do my job again and that obviously causes me great concern
    • Posted

Hi Nellie, yes I too was told 6 to 8 weeks and got a sick note for 8 and expected to go back to work on light duties before that time was up. I have just been signed off for another month by my gp and have to see him after that probably for another sick note. Makes it difficult at work when you can't give them an accurate recovery expectation. I too checked out utube and everyone's running about after a few weeks. I can't imagine getting any better very quickly as I am 9 weeks in now and hobbling about. My walking is very stiff and my 85 year old dad has to slow down to a crawl so I can keep up with him. I hope you progress quicker than me but be prepared for the long haul. If I had been better informed I doubt I would have had the op but now that it is done we will just have to go through the process and hop we make a full recovery
    • Posted

Thank you Pauline19861.

I am really concerned that I May have jeopardised my recovery. While I have elevated around lavatory expeditions I have NOT used ice at all!  My pain after day 4 decreased. My Podiatrist never suggested ice with a emphasis only  on elevation. Its nice to hear how you and others are recovering smile 

• Posted

Hello Nellie. I don't think you'll have jeopardised healing by not icing. My consultant didn't say to ice. My healing is going to plan. I am 16 weeks post surgery can just about get back to my normal size shoes. At 7 weeks I too could not even get extra extra wide shoes on and was thinking this would always be the case. Keep elevating your feet when sitting down and gradually they will go down. This is major surgery and needs time for healing. I had both feet done any even they're healing at slightly different rates. Glad I had the operation done, no regrets so far.

• Posted

Thank Sandalz its nice to hear and compare how others have managed! This forum is a god send! 
    • Posted

Hi nellie8, I iced for a good three weeks, especially at night. My surgeon said icing would not really help after week 4 so I stopped. When the weird nerve endings pain kicked in on vweek 3, icing was the only way to numb this throbbing pain. I am so glad I found this forum, I thought I was alone in my pain and worried but I am not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.