Bunion surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had bunion surgery and repair to second toe 7 weeks ago, no longer wear the ortho shoe started swimming this week and have had 2 buy shoes for extra wide but my foot is still swollen and more so by the end of day has anyone else experienced this ? Luckily I am signed off work for 4 months as surgeon felt as a nurse should make sure ok before I go back

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

I forgot to mention in earlier posts, that not only did I ice every hour for almost whole first week after surgery (bunion one foot only plus toe straightened) but my doctor also instructed me to take Arnica pellets, (a homeopathic remedy that helps with inflammation in the body) 3x/day starting one week prior to surgery and continuing one week after surgery, and also to drink pineapple juice in the early  post-op, because the bromelain in it supposedly also helps to reduce inflammation.

I am now 3-1/2 weeks post op and walking decently in surgical shoe, have really had little pain other than towards end of day when it feels heavier and throbs sometimes if I've overdone it.  But any pain I have had, even since the surgery has been manageable.  I still elevate whenever I am sitting, but have had bandages removed twice now and it doesn't look too bad at all...

So I think my doctor's instructions were on track for managing the swelling and inflammation.  So sorry to hear about those of you with more difficult and prolonged recoveries.  Just want to share my experience for those contemplating surgery, as this site has been a great comfort to me, both before surgery and after! Thanks!

Susan,

Toronto, Canada 

• Posted

Hi Susan, thanks for sharing your story, you seem to be one of the luckier ones. I am at week 10 and barely able to walk at all apart from around my home with no stairs. Good luck for a speedy and successful recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Denise, I am at week 10, still swollen, stiff and sore and barely walking outside. I only got signed off initially for 8 weeks and I almost had to beg for that. I am a postie????? Have had to return for another sick note but will still not be ready after that. Nightmare.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline I am 7 weeks now still swollen but today was first day I walked normally for a short time so hoping this is the start of improvement!! I still can't walk far I am wearing a size and a half shoe size and eee width fitting I always sit with my foot up and have had no pain for a week I have also started to go swimming each morning just for 25 mins but seems to be helping, I hope you start to see improvement soon we are all different so will all take different time to heal 
    • Posted

Hi Denise, very glad that you walked normally today, even for a short distance. My foot is so very stiff when I walk I look like I have had can hip replacement!!! I just wish they hadn't told me 6 to 8 weeks. I felt so useless. Still do. Glad we can all support each other on here. Good luck in your recovery. 👍
  • Posted

Hi, I had bunion removed and big toe realigned on Sunday 22nd to my left foot. Have had foot elevated for 90% of time but have to get up in morning for breakfast, etc and feed/let out my cat. My problem at the moment is the ortho shoe i'm wearing is causing me back problems. This morning I have improvised with my right shoe and put in 2 inserts to make it higher. This seems to help. Just wondered if anyone else had this problems. Obviously early days for me and I don't want to overdo things at this stage. Also some people have used ice for swelling do you recommend ?
    • Posted

Hi Carol,

i would advice you to ask the hospital where you had it done for another shoe.

i had both bunions and all toes on both feet realigned so had 2 shoes.

definately ice, only for 20. Minutes in each hour, it really helps with the pain and swelling.

i hope that helps, I am still elevating my feet at night and I am 16 weeks down the long road of recovery !

hang in there 😜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.