Bunion surgery -having both feet done at the same time.

Posted , 40 users are following.

I would welcome hearing from anyone who has both feet operated on at the same time. I am really eager for this to happen to get it all over with in one go. Also I am 64 --very fit and active --(hike and cycle up hills etc) and  am worried about losing my fitness so am thinking that one period of recovery makes more sense that being inactive twice over. But I have little concept of how disabled I will be --eg will I be able to get to the loo, make myself a coffee etc or will my husband have to do everything for me and if so for how long. I am quite a positive and determined person but one or two friends have suggested that I must be crazy to have both feet done at once. Anyhow just thought I'd join this forum and get advice from people who have actually been through the experience. By the way I have just got back from holiday and found a letter offering a provisional date for surgery in 10 days time! 

1 like, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi lizmw, my mum had a double bunionectomy and she was in a lot of pain and had to be hauled around the house for a good few weeks. and that kinda bothered me all the more because it looked like i was headed in the same direction. But my auntie found a bunion supporter in Japan and sent me a pair. And they have REALLY helped me. the first week of wearing them my feet felt kinda stiff, but now ive been using it for about 2 months now and my bunions dont hurt anymore.  Before it i was using the "elite hallux valgus night splint", which just hurt. so I don't know, it might be worth looking into if you dont want to take any time off. but there is one problem.. because it was a small company i'm not sure if they sell internationally. But all the same, the supporter is called "Bochikun" its really thin, and just pretty damn good. smile Hope that helped
    • Posted

Hi Melanie, I read your remarks to liz about Bochikun.  Thank you very much.  That's what this site is great for.  I had one bunion done on June 9.  Never want to go thru this again.....just the helplessness part.  My other foot needs it, so I ordered the Bochikun.  I trust the Japanese and their edge on technology.  for anyone else, you can order it on Bochikun dot com, or Amazon dot com.  Not cheap...$97 American for a pair.  I hope to use it later on my operated foot, as well, to keep the toes apart.  Thank you very much for the information!  Joyce
  • Posted

Hi

I am day five post op after having both feet done.  My experience has been that from day one I have been able to walk on my heels in special shoes to the bathroom.  Day one on my return from hospital I was able to walk from taxi to house using walking frame.  I found I could not balance well enough on crutches.  When the physio assessed me in hospital she said I could only go home if I could balance well enough using frame and could manage for a couple of days without using stairs. Day 2 post op I was able to get up stairs to bed by late evening. I went up backwards on my but using my heels to push me up. I would not have gotten through the last five days without husband however each day you get a little better and I feel I could have gotten

by today if he had returned to work. 

One thing I will say is that be prepared for the pain to intensify 24 hours after op.  Day 2 post op was much more painful for me as this is when the nerve block wore off. Take your pain meds on time as I found that they seemed to take a long time to work if they had left my system completely.   When your feet really hurt ice seems to help and make it bearable again.  Packets of peas under my heels and over my ankles seem to work well and i found i wanted this every couple of hours the first few days but by day 4 only a couple of times. It is painful but it does get better everyday after day 2.  On day 5 post op it is there in the background but I find I can go 6 hours between meds easily.  I slept through the night for the first time last night.

Allthough I keep my feet elevated whilst resting I find that my feet get very stiff and this makes them very uncomfortable.  Although it seems counter intuitive I find regularly lowering them for a few minutes and getting up to take a few steps really helps them feel comfortable again.

I definitely do not regret having both feet done although I do think you will need a carer for at least 3 days as you can walk a little and manage the basics in the bathroom but that will be about the limit of your strength and capability. 

• Posted

Thanks -It is so encouraging to hear how others are getting on and to know that it is possible to cope and that things improve. I still have a few weeks to go before surgery in mid August. Can I ask --did the hospital provide a walking frame and did you stay in hospital for the first night?
    • Posted

Hi

The hospital supplied the frame but as I went private I did have to pay £60 for it.  If you are in the UK you can get one from Red Cross and just make a donation.  At day five I am ok on the crutches but I found the frame really gave me more confidence as I was worried about falling forward. I found that the meds made me a little light headed. I found that it was not the pain that made walking difficult, but rather that I didn't have much energy.  I am a bit over weight at 13 stone and so maybe that doesn't help.  I'm 46 by the way and yes in overnight.

• Posted

I have to decide if I will have bunion surgery. I would like to have both feet done at the same time and find your info very helpful.

Like you I don't want to loose my conditioning and have to do a double recovery period. 

Need to purchase more long dresses and loose clothes.  Any other suggestions would be helpful.

How did you keep the feet elevated without a hospital bed? Will buy the wine coolers...can put them to good use after the recovery period.

• Posted

Good morning, I am scheduled to have both feet done Monday next week.  Back in January the doctor and I agreed on doing it twice so I would only take one block of time off work.  After a visit with him yesterday, he is now saying that he only wants to do one to allow for 'better quality of life'  for recovery purposes.  I already prepped my self mentally plus make work arrangments to have me off for one block of time (8 weeks).  Even the hospital has me scheudled for both.   I too would rather get it all done at once.  Thanks everyone for all your comments and reports on the procedure and recovery. Really helps me get a better grasp of what I'm facing next week.
    • Posted

Just a quick update- I started this discussion nearly a year ago. I had both feet done in September. By end of November I was back in the gym doing careful exercise, by Christmas I was doing short walks and by March got back on the big mountains. Now I don't think about my feet at all!! Just mild ache in the joints after about 8 miles. (Well I am 65!). Cosmetically my feet aren't as I had really hoped -the toes are tending to bend back but are much improved and they were in a bad state before the op. Only regret is not having had the op when younger.

Good luck to you and all embarking on the procedure! 

• Posted

Hi liz, im booked in for both april the tenth.  have had bunions for a long long time, being self employed and active i couldnt face having them done one at a time.  im going to be so bored!!!!!thankfully im in a bungalow.  
  • Posted

Hi, I had both feet done exactly 3 weeks ago today. I am a runner and a keen cyclist. My main concern was being forced to become inactive for 6 weeks. (I am 50) I didn't want to take 2 lots of time off work either. 

The Op was fine, they give you an anaesthetic block which lasts for 12 hours, this stop you feeling any pain. This worked well for me and I woke up from the general feeling pretty good. The worst part of the whole procedure was my reaction to Co Codamol which was prescribed as my pain killer, it made me feel dizzy and sick. I tried Tramadol next which was equally as bad. I researched online and decided to just stick to  Ibroprofen and paracetamol only. I didn't wait to be in pain I just took them regularly as directed on the packs. I've not had terrible pain at all. Whether I am lucky or the painkillers did the job I don't know but my recovery has been so much better than I thought it would. I was discharged the same night and they had me walking on my heels in special shoes which they give you. You do have to rest and relax though. You can't stand or walk for long as your feet will throb. This is realistically for about 2/3 weeks. I still can't walk for a long time but each day I can do more and my feet look amazing. I am so pleased. my job meant that I managed to borrow a wheelchair from work. This has been a godsend as it means I can go out for long walks with my family. The time whizzed by and actually I'm such a busy person it has been quite nice being forced to sit and relax. 

The operation was apparently successful. I've just had my first check up and I had my first shower today. I'm hoping to start slowly jogging in 2 months but we will see. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, my daughter had double bunion surgery nine days ago. She has had both big toes realigned and permanently pinned - the pins will never be removed. She had one hammer toe and that pin will be removed in 6 weeks.  The only reason our surgeon agreed to do both feet at the same time is because of her age - 26 and because she is hoping to get into veterinary college in 5 months time.  I have had both my feet operated on in the last 18 months, (9 hammer toes), and my son had massive foot sugery after a terrible car accident five years ago, so I knew what to expect and how to nurse my daughter. Foot sugery is incredibly painful and is a long, slow process. You need a great deal of support from family and friends and whatever you do dont take any shortcuts.  I firmly believe only 50% of a successful outcome comes from the surgeon and the other 50% from the patient.  Physio, Physio Physio and time. 

So, to anyone considering any form of foot surgery do so with a positive attitude, an open mind and plenty of support after all we live on our feet.

• Posted

Hi there hope you all are fullly recovered from your ops by now? I have just found this site as my daughter 26 is needing double bunion surgery like your had I am hoping she will recover quickly as she lives away from home and can only take so long off of work have tried various bandage type things but dothing works so now surgery is going to be required ! We live in Australia and will have to get it done in public hospital but think we can nominate a good ortho surgeon to do it !  Also coincidentally my son also was in an accident knocked off hios bicycle 2 yrs ago and his foot still isnt right and he is now needing a 3rd op arghh so awful sad Look forward to hearing from you thanks smile x

• Posted

Hello,

I hope you are well, i have read your post about your daughters surgery and i would really like to ask her or yourself some questions about the surgery and after.

I am very scared about it to begin with.

I am 27, i am studying and it will be end of this month (3 months break for summer) . Will i be ok after 3 months to go back to uni ? It will also be both feet. The doctor also suggested he woudnt advise me to wear heels after the op for more then a few hours.. is this the case for your daughter? What about in terms of showering? I know it hs been a while but i really hope you or anyone reading could help!

Thanks alot!

• Posted

Need some advice...my 23 yr old daughter just had double bunionectomy surgery 2 days ago. Can you email me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.