Bunion surgery -having both feet done at the same time.

Posted , 40 users are following.

I would welcome hearing from anyone who has both feet operated on at the same time. I am really eager for this to happen to get it all over with in one go. Also I am 64 --very fit and active --(hike and cycle up hills etc) and  am worried about losing my fitness so am thinking that one period of recovery makes more sense that being inactive twice over. But I have little concept of how disabled I will be --eg will I be able to get to the loo, make myself a coffee etc or will my husband have to do everything for me and if so for how long. I am quite a positive and determined person but one or two friends have suggested that I must be crazy to have both feet done at once. Anyhow just thought I'd join this forum and get advice from people who have actually been through the experience. By the way I have just got back from holiday and found a letter offering a provisional date for surgery in 10 days time! 

1 like, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I've just had double bunion surgery and my god it hurts! I'm into week 2 now and am worried that I'm not using the crutches properly as I'm walking more on the side of my feet rather than the heel.  Off all painkillers but paracetamol now and the nights are worst.  I keep twitching when if all asleep which is so sore! Can anyone tell me what to expect when the bandages come off and the splints go on? 

• Posted

Hi Liz, I had both done November 18th 2016 and everything everyone tells you is right. It hurts, you'll be severely restricted due to not being able to get anywhere without your crutches and therefore carrying cups of coffee etc is difficult. You'll be none high impact for at least 12 weeks but i was walking my dogs as soon as I lost the crutches at 6 weeks (which apparently was pushing it too hard!) . I wanted them both fine for the same reasons as you and on Saturday (27 weeks after surgery) I'm going skiing for a week. Slow and steady recovery us the key, do your physiotherapy and listen to the doctors. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. Ive had both done. First 10 days u wont care about anything but pain relief. I found ice packs very effective better than drugs! Im on 1 level so ive done that myself. You need to practice walking on your heels. Im between 4 and 5 weeks post op. I can cook clean do laundry walk on level ground. But i cant garden or do low level activities as plaster is hard to get oneself makes it difficult. I can now get out of bath alone but woukdnt advise it if youre not strong in the upper body. I have done the first 3 weeks with flannel baths and dry shampoo. No problem. Xx
  • Posted

Hello ... I'm planning on doing both my feet in one month, with lapidus procedure. I am scared ... planning on renting a hospital bed for the first two or three weeks, moving back with my parents for the same time. I'm 41 and I walk at least 2 miles each day with my dog. 

I've read all the comments, and they gave me peace, my doctor told me that I'll leave the clinic on the same day, and will be able to walk with a, don't know thw english translation, but its a metal square for walking.

worried about the pain issue, and if I will be able to manage to work from the third week (home office, have this advantage). 

Someone traveled after surgery? I have to travel, after the sixth or eight week, surely will ask for a wheelchair asistance.

any comments are welcome.

• Posted

Hi

I had both done in November last year and on the 39th December I was without crutches and walking my dogs for a mile, albeit slowly . You must rest your legs raised up above for 23 hours out of 24 for at least two weeks with the only walking being done to get to the toilet.

It's really difficult to walk, you will need crutches and you walk on your heel and outside of your feet. Pain relief :- I had morphine to take home for the first 4days + codine and ibuprofen (to reduce swelling) . After 4 days I started to ease off.

I'm not sure you'll need a hospital bed, I had pillows under my knees and feet for 6 weeks when I went to bed.

I'm now back into heels when I need to. Walk at least 5k every day with my dogs and jogging again.... and all with straight feet!

Good luck ...

Kate

• Posted

That's the 31st December not 39th!!

• Posted

Hi. Im 44. Had the double, home same day. No crutches or wheelchair. Bandages and splints for a week and then pots on. U can walk on your heels, u can practice now!! First 10 days were worst but was given no take home pain relief. I managed on cocodamol brufen but best of all, ice packs, moldable ones. They are awesome, better than pills!! You need someone to make u drinks and put food in front of you for maybe 2 weeks.if youre working at a computer youll be fine if u can have your feet up, at least you wont b bored. Youll be able to travel but not drive. I can drive from wednesday. My top tips 4u. Ice packs, youve got to have them. Stock up on pain relief and dont miss taking one, keep it topped up. Dont rush the physical side. Good luck!!!x
    • Posted

Thank you! High hopes to get to walk my dog in two months. 
    • Posted

Thank you, if been trying to walk in heels and teh outside of my feet, checking things that can be tricky ad trying to find solutions with time to spare. Will follow your advice on icepacks and pain relivers on schedule, take it easy and feet up!
    • Posted

Hello- quick update: did my two feet on July 5th, 2 weeks in bed rest (lots of ice as recommended) 2 more weeks with a kind of orthopedhics shoes (the sole was stiff) now on my third week walking with Crocs, I have even walked my dog for almost a mile two times!!! Driving, and back in my own house after five weeks (if you live alone, go to your parent's house) ... yesterday tried some shoes, NO ONE FITS, as expected.

I had a great recovery, kept my meds by schedule (don't miss one!)- lots of ice and rest... and now, patience - if you walk too much, you will get swollen feet.

So, in the end, despite all my scares, it really went well!! I stayed one night at the hospital and got "day care" with my parents (2 weeks where I only walked to the bathroom and to change to a reclining chair).

Thank you for your tips! 

• Posted

Good morning, I'm loving this forum, I am 44, I will be 45 at the time of my surgery which is scheduled for December 6, both feet. I am a very active person, I trail run, I do crossfit and bootcamps, my biggest concern is weight gain and losing my strength. Any words of encouragement?, I plan to be off work for 4 weeks, will I be able to return to work after 4 weeks? I am starting to not want to do this but I need it, as active as I am, I'm always in pain.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm going to see my GP tomorrow to request referral.

I also trail run / spin etc.

Are you running pain free now?

It's the being inactive for so long I would struggle with!

• Posted

Hi!

No regrets then?

Did you have done at the same time?

How long were you off your feet for?

Did a podiatric surgeon do your operation?

Thanks Sam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.